Post Hole Auger

/ Post Hole Auger #1  

jveretto

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kabota L2800
I bought a ECO 004 Continental-Belton post hole digger to put on my 2800 Kabota. Works fine except I can only dig about 12-18 inched. I have two other holes for adjustment but if I use one of them I don't think I can get the unit off the ground. I am asking for suggestions. It the unit too large for my tractor?

/ Post Hole Auger #2  
Is it hard clay or soft dirt. How dry is? Most Post hole diggers don't have any down pressure so it depends on lots of thing to have it dig well. Were are you located and can you tell us what the soil is like?

How far off the ground are the lower 3 point arms... if they are not very near the ground the PHD is just not digging in...

/ Post Hole Auger
Soil is very soft sand on top of clay. Clay is anywhere from 12'' to 18''. The lower arms drop about 8''-10'' when auger drops 12-16''. (I Know!) Lower arms are still 14-16'' from the ground. The reason I thought the auger would not going as far as should was because I saw no evidence of soil changing to clay in the soil thrown out. I've dug enough by hand to know what I should see.

/ Post Hole Auger #4  
So after the auger stops... have you followed up with the manual post hole diggers to see what's down there... sand or clay. That about the depth of "hard Pack" or "Hard Pan" (compacted clay basically).

What does the bottom of the hole look like. I know not too many people are going to use a flash light to look into the bottom of a hole... if it's smooth your auger might need to be sharpen / bent to have a more aggressive bite. They do wear out some what...

/ Post Hole Auger #5  
Others have talked about add extra weight on the end of the auger to help it dig better. Cheap option...

/ Post Hole Auger
I did not have the hand digger with me but I tried to feel the bottom of hole but sand is so powdered a good six inches fell immediately gack into the hole when I took the auger out. It didn't feel like clay at the botton but could be. Thanks for all your help. I may dig a hole by hand to see how deep clay is located beside the auge3r hole.

/ Post Hole Auger #7  
My post hole digger has a pipe that come out that is mainly used to align the bit as you start to dig... it's been used to add extra down pressure at times ;)

/ Post Hole Auger #8  
I have had similar issues with packed clay; rocks, too. I have used a "shale bar" to break up this layer in the hole and then continue with the auger.

As others have said, sharpen the cutters. That has also worked well for me.

As a last resort, I suggest a chain saw: Don't kill yourself or machine trying to drill the hole deeper; cut the post to the correct length for the hole you have.

All of the above have been successful in various situations.

/ Post Hole Auger #9  
jveretto,

Can you show us a picture of the auger mounted. A picture in the up position and the down position.

/ Post Hole Auger #10  
I thought the original question was about why the mechanical travel on the PHD was insufficient, not about why it won't dig in a particular type of soil. He says if he puts the pin in the other hole he doesn't have enough 3pt travel to lift it off the ground.

I second the idea of posting a picture of the hookup.