BX2200/LA211 Hydraulic Hose Leak

/ BX2200/LA211 Hydraulic Hose Leak #1  

nhinze

Tractor
Kubota BX 2200
Hi,

I bought my BX2200 with the LA211 loader last year. It's an 2001 model. Last weekend I did some intensive work with the loader and now I have a dripping leak on one of the hoses that connect to the "valve assembly/control box". In my manual it is labelled Hose #6. The leak seems to be between the rubber part and the end of the hose.

Now, I'm a total newbie and this is my first tractor. I've been learning on the job on how to fix things. I have the parts manual for the loader. How do I get this hose off? I have no idea how to decouple it on one end. Then, how do I remove it from the "valve assembly"? It doesn't seem accessible inside the valve assembly.

Anyways, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Nick,

/ BX2200/LA211 Hydraulic Hose Leak #2  
Welcome to TBN...
Can you post a picture of the leak?

Hydraulic oil seems to get everywhere when there is any type leak, clean everything well with break clean, then try to spot exactly where the leak is starting from... generally a leak in a hose is from a loose threaded end... The rubber area has a fine braided inner steel support and will typically not fail unless subjected to a heavy pinch or years of use... Look everything over close and try to get a picture if you can... KennyV

/ BX2200/LA211 Hydraulic Hose Leak #3  
I wouldn't take anything apart until you isolate the problem like Kenny says. What I do is clean everything off real good, turn the lights out, then use a flashlight to reflect off the fitting so I can see exactly where the leak starts. If you don't see anything after a few minutes, try starting the tractor and working the FEL to make sure there's full pressure on that hose, then watch it until it starts leaking. It could just be the fitting needs to be tightened.

/ BX2200/LA211 Hydraulic Hose Leak
Thanks, it seems the line is leaking, not the fittings. The leak starts a few inches above the fittings. See attached picture. So, how do I fix that? Thanks!

Attachments

• Leak.jpg
    Leak.jpg
    205.5 KB · Views: 1,948
   / BX2200/LA211 Hydraulic Hose Leak #5  
Replace the hose. Remove it and take it to a shop that deals in hydraulics. Most NAPA (and some other) auto parts stores can make up that hose in just a few minutes.

/ BX2200/LA211 Hydraulic Hose Leak
I'm new to this and never replaced one of those hoses. I have a few questions:

1) I read that I just need to move the lever around to remove the pressure in the system. Is that correct?

2) How do these hoses decouple? Never had to do that.

3) The end on the picture is readily acccessible. The other end goes between 2 metal plates by the control valve box. How do I disconnect the hose there?

Thanks,

Nick,

/ BX2200/LA211 Hydraulic Hose Leak #7  
Nick,
Make sure the loader and any other hydraulically supported item is all the way down or is mechanically supported. With the engine off, move the levers around to make sure nothing is going to move and that there is no residual pressure in the system.

The end in the picture has a quick coupling. Pull the outer ring backward and the coupling will release. (You'll need to remove the coupling half from the hose before you take it to the shop.) Be prepared for a small amount of hydraulic fluid to drain from the hose and the connections. You might want to have a drain pan and a couple of appropriate plugs on hand.
Disconnecting this end of the line first allows the hose to twist as you loosen the other end.

Unfortunately, I can't recall how the hose routes or connects to the valve. If space permits, regular wrenches might work. There are special wrenches called "flare nut wrenches" or "tube / line wrenches" that are made for the fittings that are difficult to access.

If there are 2 hexs at the fitting, it is probably necessary to hold the fitting nearest the stationary part with 1 wrench while turning the other fitting. If the fitting uses an O ring, replace it with a new one.

Some of the Kubota fittings are installed with a hydraulic sealant that can make them very hard to remove. Heat from a small propane torch or similar might be required.

When re-installing the hose, a sealant such as Loctite 545 Hydraulic Thread Sealant or alternately, teflon pipe thread sealant, should be used or leaks will probably result. If using the Loctite, allow at least 30 minutes cure time before applying pressure. If using teflon tape, keep the tape back 2 or 3 threads from the end of the male fitting so bits of tape will not get into the system. Do not use sealants on connections using O rings. Connect the hose end to the valve first as the hose will need to turn as you screw it together.

Re-attach the quick coupling and you're ready to go.

Bleeding is not necessary. As the loader is raised and lowered, any air will be pushed back to the hydraulic tank and vented.

/ BX2200/LA211 Hydraulic Hose Leak #8  
The hoses on the Kubota are somewhat unusual with the brass crimp ends. Ironically I had 3 hoses start leaking the same way, in the middle of the run, not at the ends, within 2 weeks. Each time I had to stop for the evening and run to the Parker store the next morning and buy a new hose to run again, just to have another hose go within a few hours. I checked pressure and all is okay, just seem to have hit a time limit on the hoses.

paul

/ BX2200/LA211 Hydraulic Hose Leak #9  
3) The end on the picture is readily acccessible. The other end goes between 2 metal plates by the control valve box. How do I disconnect the hose there?

Thanks,

Nick,

I've replaced a number of hoses over the years on my BX2200 - Once the hose if off, it's a quick trip to the tractor/auto store to get a new hose made.

That said, I've often found that the hoses are pretty buried (particularly the hoses to the steering wheel). However, I've found that the if you take the time to completely disassemble the surrounding parts, access is pretty easy. I've had the loader controls off to replace hoses and, although it's a bit of a pain disconnecting the linkage and such, it made the overall job a lot smoother than trying to fight my way into cramped quarters.

Also, watch for some of the 90 and 45 degree bends in some of the hose ends and match those a close as possible. They did an artful job of cramming lots of hose in a small space, and those bends are a big part of it!

/ BX2200/LA211 Hydraulic Hose Leak #10  
Yup, I agree with bxpanded. Just take the old one off. It appears to be one of those hoses to connect FEL to tractor? IF you have taken the FEL off already (parked under shade), then you know most of the residual pressure is gone. This would give you more working room to take old hose off to get a new one made up for you. I personally wouldn't bother try to shorten the hose with new quick fitting as the hose already burst so another one would be imminent.