What did I break & how do I fix it?

/ What did I break & how do I fix it? #1  

Jmidjr

Tractor
Kubota mx4700 hst
Mowing roads in hunt club today using MX4700 HST (with about 60 hrs) and Land Pride 5 ft rotary cutter. The shear bolt on the mower broke; no idea what I hit, can't find a stump or rock. But that's why it's a shear bolt!

Here's the real problem; when the pto shaft came loose (making a helluva racket) I disengaged the pto, lowered the engine speed to idle, and killed the engine. Examined the situation-mowing is done til I replace the shear bolt. Climb aboard and the tractor won't start; as if seat, clutch, or pto switch is killing it.

I engage/disengage each to no effect. What did I do? What do I try next? Tractor sits In the middle of nowhere until I figure how to get it started.

/ What did I break & how do I fix it? #2  
Mowing roads in hunt club today using MX4700 HST (with about 60 hrs) and Land Pride 5 ft rotary cutter. The shear bolt on the mower broke; no idea what I hit, can't find a stump or rock. But that's why it's a shear bolt!

Here's the real problem; when the pto shaft came loose (making a helluva racket) I disengaged the pto, lowered the engine speed to idle, and killed the engine. Examined the situation-mowing is done til I replace the shear bolt. Climb aboard and the tractor won't start; as if seat, clutch, or pto switch is killing it.

I engage/disengage each to no effect. What did I do? What do I try next? Tractor sits In the middle of nowhere until I figure how to get it started.

Try jumping some of the safety switches. I would start with the pto and then the seat.:)

/ What did I break & how do I fix it? #3  
Could be something simple that the PTO must be disengaged, brake on, and control levers at neutral--whatever sequence your machine requires. May just be that something is "on" when it is supposed to be "off" or vice versa.

I've got a ZTR that the parking brake has to be on, the PTO off, me in the seat and the control handles in neutral before it will start.

/ What did I break & how do I fix it?
I've double checked all the controlpositions toomanyrocks. I'll try to figure how to jump the kill switches; I'm bettIng you're right kuboman and will start w the pto switch (if I figure out how to jump it)

/ What did I break & how do I fix it? #5  
Also try rocking your HST peddle while trying to start it. It may be just off neutral a little. Many others have had this same issue including me.

My Kubota dealer was open today (parts dept, not service) and parts guy was very helpful. Suggested it was likely one of the three kill switches, probably the clutch switch which he said is at lower end of clutch pedal link. I never did find that switch, but DID find there are two pto lever kill switches. The second can't be seen from seat but easy from ground. I unplugged it (it seemed tightly connected, and dust came out. I blew it free of dust, replugged it, then did same with the other (no dust there).

It worked, the tractor started as normal. I plan to find out where the clutch switch is for future reference. The third is the seat switch. No problem finding or accessing it.

Hope this helps if others ever face the same thing-easy to check and correct if this happens to be your problem.

FYI, it was coincidental and unrelated to the broken shear bolt. Fyi

Last edited:
Well, it did it again! Of course I was in the middle of the hunt club, half a mile from my truck and not easily accessible. None of the "tricks" worked. Dealer's service mgr and mechanic came out and couldn't start it either (except by hot-wiring it)

So, it's at the dealer; can't wait to find out which switch is doing this!

While it's there the blown seal in FEL that let bucket slowly tilt forward will be repaired. I know better and don't recall doing so, but must have put it under load while fully extended...

I'll update when diagnosis is made

/ What did I break & how do I fix it? #8  
Why did you PTO shaft flop around after the shear bolt broke? My mower has a retaining ring on the gear box shaft that holds the PTO shaft on even if the shear bolt breaks.

ac

Avc, I wish I knew! I've sheared a couple before and since without the shaft coming free like that. Another (unknown to me) operator error.

There's plenty to screw up, and with enough time I'm afraid I'll get to all of them.

AVC, meant to give another example of screw up (I suspect) of unknown origin: when I used brush cutter years ago it was rare to shear a pin, and then I'd always hit something - and knew it. Now they shear occasionally (not enough to be a big deal), but without having hit anything. Why? Just the way it is, I guess.