BX-25 tranmission strainer cleaned

/ BX-25 tranmission strainer cleaned #1  

Tachdriver

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota bx25
I pulled my trans suction strainer today and checked it. It was clean. Re-installed same and added @ 1/2 quart of Super back. I have a drive on ramp so this makes the job easier than if you had to go down below. I fabbed up a "finger" made from paper towels with electrical tapes around it. Used that for a plug while I cleaned the strainer, worked fine. I have about 25 hours on my machine. :thumbsup:

So no oil change, just filter cleaning this time

Later

/ BX-25 tranmission strainer cleaned #2  
I did my 50hr. fluid and filter changes about a month ago on my BX25 and it came time to do the strainer I purchased a #5 tapered rubber plug and put a screw in hook in it for easy in and easy pulling out.

Attachments

• P7240001.JPG
    P7240001.JPG
    680.3 KB · Views: 464
   / BX-25 tranmission strainer cleaned
Welcome to the "Stab In" club !

later

/ BX-25 tranmission strainer cleaned #5  
I did my 50hr. fluid and filter changes about a month ago on my BX25 and it came time to do the strainer I purchased a #5 tapered rubber plug and put a screw in hook in it for easy in and easy pulling out.

Getting tractor ready for this summer, been neglecting servicing on it due to moving and just didn't have time. Gave it a quick wash and rinse before starting the TLC process. Anyway, just did my 50 hr (at 150hr mark) service which ended up being full service changed all Engine and HST filters, and fluids.. screen was relatively clean with just a few particles (thankful). Did purchase rubber stopper to have just in case from Home Depot (largest one they carried worked fine). Tried to purchase an additional HST screen at tractor store just to have to swap out but at 60.00 that idea was quickly vanished. If you drain the oil there is very little that comes out the screen port but rubber stopper keeps port closed while you clean the screen. Went ahead and just changed the USDT fluid as I had 5gal bucket anyway.. oil looked fairly good considering the amount of use it has had last year.

Why does Kubota have a filter and a screen? Seems that reasoning is little overkill. The pump should send fluid through the filter first shouldn't it? If so should not the particles be captured by the filter in the first place. Or is this the return fluid screen that captures large particles coming from the implements before it gets reused?

I have the 60" mm mower and it was removed for servicing the tractor for the first time since I purchased it and I can tell you there are zerks everywhere on that. a good wash and cleaning of the unit revealed zerk fittings I had not seen mounted. The zerks on the anti-scalp wheels are just pressed into the soft plastic/rubber wheel and if you are not careful they pull out when you grease. Design flaw if you ask me.. zerks should be on end of mount bolt or redesign the wheels to have metal on inside to screw the zerks into.

I have turf tires on the unit because I used it mostly for mowing with rear bagger. Since moving to larger property, been thinking about getting a second set of tires/wheels, either R1 or R4. If I decide to do a garden later, which tire is recommended for a plow or cultivator? I'm leaning toward R1 what's your thoughts?
:flag-airforce:

/ BX-25 tranmission strainer cleaned #6  
R4 tires would be a good compromise between turfs and R1. They would not have the traction of R1 however.

I just noticed that you have BX 25, go with the R4's and they will be the only tires you ever need. That lightweight tractor and super wide tires on the R4 would not harm your lawn unless it was really wet and in that case, you shouldn't be out mowing or travelling across it anyway.