B2910 front wheel snapped off!

/ B2910 front wheel snapped off! #1  

dlabrie

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B2910
Well my first words weren't Merry Christmas! I was pulling out a tree and had my wheel cocked to the right and ...thunk... it snapped right off at the bearing.

The tractor is quite a ways down in the woods and I am going to have to fix it myself. Can anyone give me some advice on what I will need and how to go about repairing it?

Thanks,
David

Attachments

• IMG_4630.JPG
    IMG_4630.JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 1,573
  • IMG_4628.JPG
    IMG_4628.JPG
    71.8 KB · Views: 1,315
  • IMG_4629.JPG
    IMG_4629.JPG
    79.4 KB · Views: 1,460
  • IMG_4627.JPG
    IMG_4627.JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 1,009
  • IMG_4631-1.JPG
    IMG_4631-1.JPG
    103.6 KB · Views: 1,595
   / B2910 front wheel snapped off! #2  
That's some bad luck, sorry that happened to you! Maybe you could get back to the house by lowering the bucket to help support the front end. Then slowly travel in reverse using the loader as a crutch. Might work and might not, but if it does then you are closer to your tools to repair it or load it up for a trip to the dealer.

A shop manual and parts book will help you out a lot and are not terribly expensive. Good luck!

/ B2910 front wheel snapped off!
That's some bad luck, sorry that happened to you! Maybe you could get back to the house by lowering the bucket to help support the front end. Then slowly travel in reverse using the loader as a crutch. Might work and might not, but if it does then you are closer to your tools to repair it or load it up for a trip to the dealer. Good luck!

Thanks, that's a good idea but it's pretty far down in the woods. I'll be fixing it there when I find out what I have to do.

/ B2910 front wheel snapped off! #4  
Thanks, that's a good idea but it's pretty far down in the woods. I'll be fixing it there when I find out what I have to do.

Should be able to take out the ring of bolts and then take the hub and broken shaft to a work bench. Should only be one snap ring holding things together. You might need a puller for bearings but not sure.

Here is a view of the axle components.

Attachments

• axle.png
    axle.png
    349.9 KB · Views: 2,442
   / B2910 front wheel snapped off! #6  
I would go that route too. Drop that bucket and drive it out in 2WD. I know from experience that Kubota steering brakes are a pain in the pa-tootsie. But, should be able to back that thing out using the steering brakes.

Would not be much different than lowering your bucket and back dragging a drive or trail...

When it broke, were you trying to drag the tree backwards?

That's some bad luck, sorry that happened to you! Maybe you could get back to the house by lowering the bucket to help support the front end. Then slowly travel in reverse using the loader as a crutch. Might work and might not, but if it does then you are closer to your tools to repair it or load it up for a trip to the dealer.

A shop manual and parts book will help you out a lot and are not terribly expensive. Good luck!

/ B2910 front wheel snapped off! #8  
Not sure if they still offer the old part number or not, but the updated axle is P/N 32721-57323. It should be stronger than the original which is why they updated them. That P/N I listed is also used on the B26 industrial tractors, so they should hold up without any trouble.

I would go that route too. Drop that bucket and drive it out in 2WD. I know from experience that Kubota steering brakes are a pain in the pa-tootsie. But, should be able to back that thing out using the steering brakes.

Would not be much different than lowering your bucket and back dragging a drive or trail...

When it broke, were you trying to drag the tree backwards?

Yes I was trying to drag the tree backwards. It was really the limbs and not too heavy. I think the damage had been done earlier and this was the straw...

I routinely load the bucket with VERY heavy green maple and birch, then drive over very rutted paths and a lot of stones. It was definitely my fault. It has 800+ hours on it and is about 9 years old.

Maybe I'll try backing he out on the bucket, but I have to go up hills and around trees. But, hey, you never know until you try.

Not sure if they still offer the old part number or not, but the updated axle is P/N 32721-57323. It should be stronger than the original which is why they updated them. That P/N I listed is also used on the B26 industrial tractors, so they should hold up without any trouble.

Should I do both sides or do one and hope for the best?