How to change blades on rear mowing deck?

/ How to change blades on rear mowing deck? #1  

Ezzrider

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota B7510
I have a Kubota B7510 with a Land Pride 5' rear mower. I need to change the blades on the mower for the first time. It has 3 blades. Do I just raise the mowing deck while attached to the tractor to get access to the blades? The deck is too heavy to just turn over and gain access to the blades. Any suggestions?

/ How to change blades on rear mowing deck? #2  
I think the safest way would be to remove the top link. Then when you raise the 3pt arms, the rear of the mower would rest on the ground. If that doesn't give you enough room, raise the arms (top link connected) all the way and put a heavy wood block upright under it.

/ How to change blades on rear mowing deck? #3  
I always shortened the top link, so it would raise a little higher, then raise it all the way, shut off the tractor, and put at least 2 jackstands, (or something else solid) under the edges, and break out the impact

James K0UA

/ How to change blades on rear mowing deck? #4  
I always shortened the top link, so it would raise a little higher, then raise it all the way, shut off the tractor, and put at least 2 jackstands, (or something else solid) under the edges, and break out the impact

James K0UA

+1 except I leave the tractor running.

/ How to change blades on rear mowing deck? #5  
If you have a trailer that you haul the tractor on, load it with the mower hanging over the rear of the trailer, add jackstands to the rear of the trailer and if a one piece ramp, remove it. If two ramps, sit on a short stool between them and use a large wrench to remove the retaining bolts. A cresent wrench will work, but a box end would be better. A block of wood to wedge the blades to keep them from turning when you apply pressure with the wrench.
David from jax

/ How to change blades on rear mowing deck? #6  
The owners manual for my Bush Hog RDTH 72 finish mower says to raise the mower (with the the three point) and BLOCK IT SECURELY. Since it is new, I have not had to remove the blades for sharpening. It also says to turn off the tractor and remove the key!
I like (and will use) kOua's suggestion of shortening the top link to have it raise the rear of the mower more than the front to get easier access to the blades.

/ How to change blades on rear mowing deck? #7  

James K0UA

:thumbsup:

/ How to change blades on rear mowing deck? #8  
Lift arms all the way up, hydraulic top link completely retracted. Easy access. Apply your own safety measures. Philip.

Attachments

• MOWER03.jpg
    MOWER03.jpg
    676.8 KB · Views: 497
  • MOWER04.JPG
    MOWER04.JPG
    944.3 KB · Views: 380
   / How to change blades on rear mowing deck? #9  
On our 72" Woods we safely support the raised deck. Throw some cardboard under the deck and remove and replace the blades.

To make it easier I use a length of pipe to increase leverage that I slip over the breaker bar and socket.

This Woods mower has reverse threads and we're all the time taking the blades off for sharpening. btw we use anti-seize on the threads.

/ How to change blades on rear mowing deck?
Thanks to everyone for the great advise. I will raise the deck with the shorten the top link with the PTO and put some sort of support underneath just in case. Now I just need to find out which way the nuts come off the blade shafts. Thanks for the photos also. :thumbsup: