What RPM do you set from front end loader work?

/ What RPM do you set from front end loader work? #11  
I do know that that little 3 cylinder is making a sweet sound ,right at pto speed...Makes the fel a lot more responsive. I usually drop it some for the traveling..both for smoothness and worrying about clutch wear..

/ What RPM do you set from front end loader work? #12  
Pretty much like kOua, it depends on what I am doing and the tractor I am using. I run at the RPM that gets the job done comfortably without lugging or too much jerking in the FEL. This varies from one tractor to the next. I also often vary the RPM depending on the job and distance traveled etc.

/ What RPM do you set from front end loader work? #13  
doing loader work i run from 1600 to 2000rpms depending on the work thats being done.

/ What RPM do you set from front end loader work? #14  
This is a depends topic; it depends on what you are doing. My old B8200 and current TC40D are both HST. I always run where I am not lugging the engine for the task at had. My old Kubota was 19hp; I tended to run a little higher rpm. This New Holland I have now, is 40hp; I can run lower rpm.

I have spent time on a Bobcat S185 skidsteer, and have rented Kubota L35 TLB's. Same with those. Mostly set the RPM for the task at hand, again without lugging them.

In all cases, the RPM could vary as the situation changed.

/ What RPM do you set from front end loader work? #15  
? I don't get it guys - What are the advantages of running a diesel below the PTO RPM speed. Seems to me they are designed to run at that level - ? Mike

/ What RPM do you set from front end loader work? #16  
? I don't get it guys - What are the advantages of running a diesel below the PTO RPM speed. Seems to me they are designed to run at that level - ? Mike

The PTO RPM speed is what is needed to turn your PTO at 540 or 1000, not what is needed for other tasks. Why would you run it higher than needed and not only waste fuel, but put more wear on your engine. For some of the smaller tractors, you may need to run it at that, but not the bigger ones.

Of course I am not a mechanic or engineer, so maybe I have been doing it all wrong.

I am sure someone else can give you a better explanation and maybe even set me straight.

/ What RPM do you set from front end loader work? #17  
And besides wasted fuel, the lower rpm was quieter than PTO speed which I certainly appreciated.

/ What RPM do you set from front end loader work? #18  
What TripleR and Bird said:thumbsup:

James K0UA

/ What RPM do you set from front end loader work? #19  
The PTO RPM speed is what is needed to turn your PTO at 540 or 1000, not what is needed for other tasks. Why would you run it higher than needed and not only waste fuel, but put more wear on your engine.

Exactly, there is no need to run the engine at higher rpms that what is needed for the task. My manual explicitly states this. As long as you are not lugging the engine, there is no need to run at PTO speed for non-PTO tasks.

My hour meter runs based on engine rpms, not clock time. If I work for an hour, but only run at half the maximum rpms, I've only put 30 minutes of wear on my engine.

Vic

/ What RPM do you set from front end loader work? #20  
The PTO RPM speed is what is needed to turn your PTO at 540 or 1000 ...
More specifically:

The engine RPM which results in 540RPM (or optionally, 1000RPM) at the PTO coincides with the torque peak of the engine, by design. In other words, the PTO reduction gearing is set up so the PTO output shaft is turning 540RPM at the highest available engine torque.

If you go to Kubota's engine website and look up the engine installed on your tractor, you'll find a spec sheet with the engine output curves (that is, power[KW] and torque [NM] versus engine RPM). Locate the RPM at which the engine is producing the maximum torque. Now look in your tractor manual, and find the engine RPM setting specified which results in 540 RPM at the PTO. It's the same number (+/- a few percent) as you found on the engine website.

Wrooster