Need Help Diagnosing Tire Problem

/ Need Help Diagnosing Tire Problem #1  

Owenslee

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota M5040HD 4WD, Ford 8N , White 105, Case 1200 4WD, (1) TO-20 (3) TO-30 Fergusons
I have a 2009 M5040HD 4WD that I have been using with a grapple bucket to pick up downed tree limbs and large red cedars cut from along our road.

In the past two weeks I have spun the right front tire on the rim twice pulling the valve stem off the tube in the process. In each case I was in 4wd but was not carrying an excessively heavy load. Perhaps 2000 lbs at most in the grapple.

The Tires are OEM Titan 9.5-24 with 25 lbs air pressure. Maximum pressure is rated at 30 psi.

In both cases I was in 4WD and the tire either spun or rolled off the bead allowing the tube to pull apart at the valve stem. So much so that the tube was too damaged to repair.

The local tire shop suggested 30-32 lbs air pressure after the second incident.

Any suggestions on how to correct the problem are appreciated and any explanation on why would it occur only on the right front tire.

In all other respects this tractor has been a real horse when working...but having to pull a wheel in the field to replace a tube is getting old fast.

Thanks.

/ Need Help Diagnosing Tire Problem #2  
Only thing, which comes to mind:
Tire has a nail or something in it and was getting soft without your realizing it.
:confused:

/ Need Help Diagnosing Tire Problem
No nails or punctures...first thing we checked when the tire was off the rim.

Only damage was to the tube in the immediate area of the valve stem....both times.

Rim was free of any burrs or sharp edges.

/ Need Help Diagnosing Tire Problem #4  
Put some rosin on the bead. Maybe it will grip the rim better.

/ Need Help Diagnosing Tire Problem #5  
I had the same problem. Solved it with a little more tire pressure and by not turning the steering wheel when the tractor is sitting still with weight on the loader...basically I was twisting the tire off the rim. Now I make sure the tires are rolling before turning.

/ Need Help Diagnosing Tire Problem
I had the same problem. Solved it with a little more tire pressure and by not turning the steering wheel when the tractor is sitting still with weight on the loader...basically I was twisting the tire off the rim. Now I make sure the tires are rolling before turning.

Bingo....

The more I think about how I was operating the tractor when transporting several large limbs I am certain I made this mistake. The tractor was not stopped...but was moving very slowly while I was negotiating between trees. I should have known better.

Thank you...!

/ Need Help Diagnosing Tire Problem #7  
I worked for a year at a truck tire place, here's a few things I've seen. Mounting lubricant can be a problem. If they use the right stuff it's water based and will evaporate. If some nimrod used a spray can of silicon, or uses kerosene on it or who knows what, it would leave a slippery residue that could help the tire spin. Next time it gets mounted I'd make sure to use some kind of solvent to clean that edge, maybe take a wire brush to it to make sure there's nothing left. Also when tires are new some places spray them with tire black or armor all to make they look pretty. If you do that when they're mounted it's ok, but if you get that stuff on the bead it can be a problem.

The rim can be bent out slightly, either from over enthusiastic hand breaking of the bead, or by not using the machine right if they have one. Or of course it could also be bent from use. Maybe the tire place checked this, but I'd mount the rim either in the shop or on the tractor and spin it to see if you find any spots where the rim has been bent out. Rims will have a fair bit of runout because of low travel speeds, but there shouldn't be any local bends. That could be the spot the bead is starting to walk off.