Leaky stem on loaded tire.. to tube or not to tube?

/ Leaky stem on loaded tire.. to tube or not to tube? #1  

CORamos

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota BX25
So I walk into my garage to get something, and notice a pool of dark fluid next to my BX25. After the initial, panicked, "this is going to be expensive :(" thought, I noticed that the leak was coming from the valve stem.

The weird part is that the tractor had been parked for over 24 hours before the valve stem went. It only lost about half to two-thirds of a quart before I moved the tractor enough to move the stem to the top position. I wiggled the valve-stem a little bit, and the leak stopped!

I called the dealer, and was informed that the tire is only warranted for 30 days (I bought the tractor 1st week of March this year). I was a little annoyed when he told me I could not just wait while he fixed it because he needed to "evaluate" the tire, and it would take at least a day or two. :confused:

So the question is: To tube or not to tube? What should I expect to pay? I'm going to drop it off in a couple of days, so I have time to decide.

I definitely want to keep the tires loaded.

/ Leaky stem on loaded tire.. to tube or not to tube? #2  
if it's tubeless, and the rim is not damaged.. I'd just put a new stem in the rim.. should be easy to do at a tire shop, even with a loaded tire...

soundguy

/ Leaky stem on loaded tire.. to tube or not to tube? #3  
They will have to suck out the tire and then break the bead to put in a new valve stem. In this day of inflation it will cost way more than it is worth.

/ Leaky stem on loaded tire.. to tube or not to tube? #4  
Wow.. maybee in one of them dark ages tire shops :) they might have to break it down to add a stem. in my local 'small town' shop, they can stick a new stem in from the outside.. uses a lil gizmo that squeezes the plug and you stick it inthe hole and pull the pump trigger.. kinda like a rivit gun.. you you pull back on it, wala.. a new valve stem is there.. they pull the old one with a claw attachmet tool from the outside as well.

is this not a common thing yet in most areas?

soundguy

/ Leaky stem on loaded tire.. to tube or not to tube? #5  
Is it filled with Rim Guard (beet juice)? There are other threads that discuss the tendency of Rim Guard to loosen some valve stems after a year or two. It eats an adhesive in the stem. Rim Guard's literature also makes note of the problem. So make sure you replace the stem with a suitable one (if the ballast is Rim Guard).

/ Leaky stem on loaded tire.. to tube or not to tube? #6  
I was going to ask what it's filled with. CaCl and a valve stem leak and it's most likely corrosion...and a new rim or a weld job.

/ Leaky stem on loaded tire.. to tube or not to tube?
Is it filled with Rim Guard (beet juice)? There are other threads that discuss the tendency of Rim Guard to loosen some valve stems after a year or two. It eats an adhesive in the stem. Rim Guard's literature also makes note of the problem. So make sure you replace the stem with a suitable one (if the ballast is Rim Guard).

The tires are loaded with Rimguard. When I drop of the tire, I'll point out the valve stem issue from the Rimguard website. Thanks for the tip!

/ Leaky stem on loaded tire.. to tube or not to tube? #8  
they also make a mostly metal valve stem with a compression style rubber fitting too.. though i doubt it is needed here.

soundguy

/ Leaky stem on loaded tire.. to tube or not to tube? #9  
I am very happy with my BX24. However, the valve stems are very cheap and have failed. I purchased a tool that allows me to change the valve stems myself. I take the wheel off the tractor to change the valve stem. I think it may be possible to change the valve stem using this tool with the wheel still on the tractor. It may be a bit awkward, though. Most auto tire shops will not have a bead machine the right size for BX25 wheels. So, the other alternative is to bring the wheel to your tractor dealer for repair. Here is a link to a video demonstrating the took I bought. ‪AME 51025 Quick Change Valve Tool‬‏ - YouTube

/ Leaky stem on loaded tire.. to tube or not to tube? #10