bx starts, let go of key - it shuts off

/ bx starts, let go of key - it shuts off #1  

semilegal

The BX starts, but when the key is released and it springs back to the "run" position, it does quite the opposite (which makes it very hard to mow). When it did this before, I replaced the starter/cyloniod (thing that you put the key in to); eventually it didn't start at all.
So, being the mechanical wizard that I am, I did an override on the safety cut-off thereby allowing the tractor to start when it is NOT in neutral (so far nobody has died from my reckless abandon).
Now, I turn the key, it starts, but when I let the key go - no go (engine cuts off immediately). So, I decided I needed to mow anyway and held the key and drove, but when I engage the mower ... engine cut off immediately.
Why will this thing not stay running when I let go of the key???? Especially since I replaced the starter/cyloniod not more than 100 hours ago ...

/ bx starts, let go of key - it shuts off #2  
Sounds like a bad switch... although, I noticed the switch was loose on my BX23 the other day so key position no longer lined-up with the nomenclature.

It was common for some cars switches to go bad... like early VW rabbits... replaced several... they would start and not run when the key was released.

/ bx starts, let go of key - it shuts off #3  
.... So, I decided I needed to mow anyway and held the key and drove, but when I engage the mower ... engine cut off immediately.

Why will this thing not stay running when I let go of the key???? Especially since I replaced the starter/cyloniod not more than 100 hours ago ...

Wow... It must be good to have that much cash... It gets expensive replacing things that have nothing to do with the problem...

A starter solenoid is responsible for applying high current power to the starter, so it will turn the engine over... It has Nothing to do with keeping the engine running...

BTW... You are soon going to be replacing your starter, You can not keep the starter Bendix engaged in the flywheel, when the engine is running... You may also damage the tooth ring on the flywheel...

Your problem is in the shut down side of the fuel hold solenoid system...

Although no one has died from bypassing the 'safety cut-off'... but I think you may need them, and depending how they tie into the fuel shut down solenoid controller... you may have a few things to "check" before R&R more parts... KennyV

/ bx starts, let go of key - it shuts off #4  
It could possibly be the solenoid, but more likely it's just the switch. Don't know which BX you have, but the early switches did have an issue with this after several years.

/ bx starts, let go of key - it shuts off #5  
I don't suppose you're making the same kind of dumb mistake I made when I bought a new 1999 B2710.:laughing: It was doing the same thing; start, turn the key loose, and engine die. Sometimes had to start it 2 or 3 times before it would keep running. Then one day, I happened to notice the dash lights and a little light came on in my head.:eek: I was just letting my fingers slip off the key and the ignition switch spring was so strong it was flipping the key all the way back to the "Off" position. Everything was fine when I learned to release the key a little more slowly so it didn't turn itself off.:eek:

/ bx starts, let go of key - it shuts off #6  
The BX starts, but when the key is released and it springs back to the "run" position, it does quite the opposite (which makes it very hard to mow). When it did this before, I replaced the starter/cyloniod (thing that you put the key in to); eventually it didn't start at all.
So, being the mechanical wizard that I am, I did an override on the safety cut-off thereby allowing the tractor to start when it is NOT in neutral (so far nobody has died from my reckless abandon).
Now, I turn the key, it starts, but when I let the key go - no go (engine cuts off immediately). So, I decided I needed to mow anyway and held the key and drove, but when I engage the mower ... engine cut off immediately.

I am a bit confused here.
you replaced the key switch in the dashboard? or the starter on the engine. it doesnt look clear in your statement. when you say let key go from the glow plugs to start and it goes to run does the engine ever run for a couple secs? or just clicks and nothing happens?
how did you "bypass the hst pedal switch" perhaps something happened to it? I'd would return it back to normal. you would be ruining the hst tranny pump as it hasnt had time to warm up. The BX may be shutting off due to seat switch or your PTO engage switch.

I am going to take a guess here why engine is shutting off when turning on mower- your seat switch is malfunctioning or hst pedal switch mod failure is tripping the safety circuit. are you actually sitting in the seat when engaging the mower? Do you have the updated seat?

Without enough information from you, its like shooting in the dark hence my questions.

/ bx starts, let go of key - it shuts off #7  
My BX2200 acted that way and it turned out to be the fuel solenoid. I tested the solenoid by removing it(2 screws and 1 electrical plug) The tractor started but then I couldn't turn it off until I re-attached the solenoid.

/ bx starts, let go of key - it shuts off #8  
My BX2200 started doing the exact same thing at various times. I just knew I would have to replace the shutoff solenoid. When I unplugged the solenoid, the connector just didn't feel right. Took an emery board and cleaned both parts of the connector and plugged it back together. Haven't had any more problems in 6 months.

/ bx starts, let go of key - it shuts off
When you use the term solenoid, are you talking about the unit that the key plugs in to - it fits right in to the dash and is removed by unscrewing an "O" ring type washer that is on the dash? I don't know if that is called the starter of solenoid.
I replaced that unit last time it did this. It's a BX2300.
Where's the fuel solenoid (if I can find it, I'll do that) - I apologize for my lack of technical knowledge.
Where's the "shutoff solenoid?"
Regardless - I appreciate all the input - I'm going to mess with it tonight ...

/ bx starts, let go of key - it shuts off
I don't suppose you're making the same kind of dumb mistake I made when I bought a new 1999 B2710.
I wish I were doing that :cool: