3-Point Hitch 3 point Splitter on L28OO HST compatibility

/ 3 point Splitter on L28OO HST compatibility #11  
25 seconds would be complete cycle out AND back.

Feel free to play with the nubmers on the calculator in that link I posted.:thumbsup:

/ 3 point Splitter on L28OO HST compatibility
You Said:
Since I was having trouble finding a used 3 point splitter, I almost bought a splitter with a blown engine. If figured I would take the engine and pump off and just run it off my tractor hydraulics. You could look for one like that as well and maybe use the reservoir on the splitter along with a PTO pump on your tractor.

My Comment on the above:
Yes, good option indeed, thanks for passing along........ Right now seems best to ask n collect plenty of options...... This is a good one.......

Since I want to leave the splitter out under the wood shed roof all year, covered up with a plastic tarp when not in use. I want to convert what ever I end up with into a table top height splitter on legs vs wheels so an old self powered splitter would be great to convert into this.

My plan is to design a unit so I can place the loader bucket on the table top with a slight down angle so I can feed the splitter ram rounds with gravity assist directly from the loader bucket with out needing to lift them up again.

Anyway, good idea, Thanks to you, I will now keep my eyes open for an old wheeled splitter needing an engine too.........

/ 3 point Splitter on L28OO HST compatibility #13  
Thanks Guys,

I too do not want to buy and maintain a gas powered screamer engine for a log splitter that is used for 8-16 hours A YEAR than sits the rest of the year sucking up moisture making rust.

I bought a 25 ton splitter from the farm fleet store in 1979. I use it about 10 hours per year. I keep in in a garage. I drain the gas when I'm done with it. It still runs good. I change the oil (Mobil one) every couple years. I've changed the hydraulic fluid and filter once about ten years ago. There is no rust on it.

I really like being able to pull it around with my quad and keep the tractor free for pulling logs and trees down.

You Said:
I bought a 25 ton splitter from the farm fleet store in 1979. I use it about 10 hours per year. I keep in in a garage. I drain the gas when I'm done with it. It still runs good. I change the oil (Mobil one) every couple years. I've changed the hydraulic fluid and filter once about ten years ago. There is no rust on it. I really like being able to pull it around with my quad and keep the tractor free for pulling logs and trees down.

Thanks for your reply,

I am beginning to straighten up some and perhaps lean toward the self powered splitter direction.

They are not that much more expensive and I suppose lots more resale-able when the time comes (I am 62 soon, suppose not gonna be splitting wood for much more that a decade if I am lucky with my future health).

Luckily I have this form and all you guys to edgumacate me on all this and from lotsO different perspectives. So still like learning what others are doing n their 2 cents on it.

Thanks again, Glennnnnnn

/ 3 point Splitter on L28OO HST compatibility #15  
You Said:
They are not that much more expensive and I suppose lots more resale-able when the time comes (I am 62 soon, suppose not gonna be splitting wood for much more that a decade if I am lucky with my future health).Thanks again, Glennnnnnn

I hear you Glenn. I am 67 and still cutting firewood. It gets more painful every year though.

You said:
I hear you Glenn. I am 67 and still cutting firewood. It gets more painful every year though.

Yes, it is NOW of Never for this old boy as far as going back to hearing with wood when possible.

Three months after retiring from Vietnam in the winter of 71-72 all I could afford was a fixer upper house with no heat. So I heated with wood until I installed a coal stoker in 1979. Now 30+ years later the stoker was replaced by oil and you would think I should be more well off with enough success in life to never need to even consider heating with wood again.

As we all know, the standard of living is continualy going down for the worker bee in this country big time. So at 62 I find my self almost needing to take advantage of the wood lot I pay BIG property and school tax on yearly to save a few bucks heating with wood so I can hopefully afford to stay here.

But like I said, it is now or never. Soon I will not have enough years left remaining to even have a chance to pay back the additional costs of having a supplemental fuel heating source. So like I said earlyer, TIZ NOW OR NEVER.

Lastly: I here many a mil vet from Iraq or Afghanistan are now homeless, Obviously I was vary lucky being able to buy even a home with out heat just 9o days from being in country.

/ 3 point Splitter on L28OO HST compatibility #17  
Hi Glenn,

Just wanted to share a photo of the setup I use. Its a 3PT splitter on the front of my B21 with hoses running to the BH connections.

I pin the BH in place and remove the lines and connect the splitter - takes about 3 minutes to hook up and be running.

I can also remove the front leg on the splitter and drop it close to the ground for those big rounds.

The last benefit is I leave the splitter attached to the front then reconnect the BH, then with the thumb lift and cut 2 or 3 log lengths then turn around and split again.

Attachments

• 100_0458.jpg
    100_0458.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 131
  • 100_0461.jpg
    100_0461.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 181
You Said:
Just wanted to share a photo of the setup I use.

Carl,
Thanks for sharing your fotos n idea, interesting......

I too want to add a thumb to my Kub for help moving n holding up long logs as I nip um into rounds. Glad to know it works n is a practical idea.

Do you mind me asking a few questions? (hope not).

I am still concerned how powerful my HST L28oo Kub will operate the 3 point hitch splitter I am planning to buy. Are you happy with how fast n strong your splitter operates using your Kub's hydraulic pump?

My Kub is said to only have 2250 PSI at 6.5 GPM. Do you know what your Kub is rated at and how happy are you with it's power n ram speed. Also what type of wood are you generally splitting in your area? Is it hard wood or soft wood?

Thanks, Glennnnnnn

/ 3 point Splitter on L28OO HST compatibility #20  
Hi Glennnnn,

The B21 has two hydraulic pumps - one for the Loader/BH and one for the power steering.

The rated flow is 8.5 GPM for the Loader/BH and 4.5 for the PS total 13 GPM.

I run about 13-1400 RPM when splitting and its a 4"x24" Cylinder and cycle time is comfortable about 20 sec total - the cycle time doesnt change too much if I raise the RPM as its flow mostly not pressure.

I have the auto detent retract, but usually I have the next piece to be split on the rail by the time it retracts 18" then I cycle forward again. (dont take the full 24" stroke)

As for wood, all hardwood typical is knotty maple, red oak, black birch. Large rounds 20" plus are no issue nor are the "crotches" of trees when splitting against the grain.

I would say for your 6.5 GPM it will be OK, but maybe get the 3.5" x24 cylinder - less volume and more speed - should work out fine for you.

Carl