Can i use r4 tires with Kubota belly mower?

/ Can i use r4 tires with Kubota belly mower? #1  

Texwing

Bronze Member
Tractor
HST3710, FZ2100
I have a 1999 HST 3710 which ius common to the L series tractors of the same family, think
I have my heart set on adding a belly mower and have found an RC72-29a belly mower at an attractive price. The problem is the dealer says their is a clearance problem with my R4 industrial tires, so no go. Is anyone running R4 tires with a Belly mower on a similar size tractor?

I am guessing that the rear tires might interfere with the mower deck in the raised position, but it may also be a ç”°ant raise it all the way but the belly mower will still work issue.

Also, the books show an R72-36a as the mower for my tractor, but all available specs show them the same, anyone know the difference?

thanks for any help.

Last edited:
   / Can i use r4 tires with Kubota belly mower? #2  
Yep, the 36 is the standard mower for that specific tractor. I suspect the problem with the mower you are looking at is the out board rear anti-scalp rollers will come in contact with the rear wheels. They can be removed from the mower, but I don't recommend it. see if you can source the bigger mower instead.

I believe the problem is specific to that mower and not so much the choice of tires.

My 3710 came with R4's which I traded in for Ags and I run a RC72 36a. I have 10 plus years on that mower..... good unit as long as you maintain it.

/ Can i use r4 tires with Kubota belly mower?
Hi Dead Horse, did you ever manage to run the RC72-36 mower with the R4 tires, or is that what prompted the move to ag tires? I think the parts guy at the dealer also said the 36 model mower was not for use with the R4 tires.

It been tough to find an RC72 belly mower, at a price I want to pay, down my way in Texas, most seem to be a long way off. I dont mind doing some welding to move guide wheels, i am just not sure that is all it is. Thanks!

/ Can i use r4 tires with Kubota belly mower? #4  
I think that the problem was with the outer anti scalp wheels! I twould limit the amount you can raise the mower.

/ Can i use r4 tires with Kubota belly mower? #5  
Hi Dead Horse, did you ever manage to run the RC72-36 mower with the R4 tires, or is that what prompted the move to ag tires? I think the parts guy at the dealer also said the 36 model mower was not for use with the R4 tires.

It been tough to find an RC72 belly mower, at a price I want to pay, down my way in Texas, most seem to be a long way off. I dont mind doing some welding to move guide wheels, i am just not sure that is all it is. Thanks!

Texwing, I am not sure, because it was a long time ago. I believe they delivered the tractor with R4s and the mower mounted but I cannot be certain.

I do recall that they did a poor job of mounting the rear hydraulics and left an o ring seal out of one of the joints. My mechanic had to pull the a fender off the tractor to access the connection and determine why it was GUSHING hyd oil and then install an o ring, when I tried to use one of my implements (splitter or chipper, I do not recall which one).

I had ordered the tractor with Ags and was a tad irritated when it showed up with R4s, the leaky hydraulics really put me over the top with them.

The tractor has been great and has near 2,000 hours on it now. It has NEVER been back to the dealer as I don't trust then as far as I could throw them. I do all my own work on it and my Hesston 90 100. Once I destroyed a front wheel bearing. I pulled the hub and took it to the dealer for a bench replacement of the bearing. I only did that because there is a special tool needed to release a snap ring to pull the bearing assy.

BTW, they went out of business.

/ Can i use r4 tires with Kubota belly mower?
Thanks Dead Horse, that is interesting they delivered your tractor with R4 industrial tires; as I recall that was an option for me that I paid $600 to $800 more for. I am still unclear whether to get this rc72-29a mower, its virtually the same as the rc72-36a except for the lift arms, but the R4 tires are the real head scratcher. As pointed out, the tires might interfere with the anti scalp wheels, but I bet i could relocate them. It may also be that the increased diameter of the r4 wheels likely increases the ground clearance of the 3710, and how that affects the mower i do not know. Not so sure what to do.