Learned my lesson today

/ Learned my lesson today #1  

maximus1277

Silver Member
Tractor
2010 KUBOTA B2320, 2010 KIOTI CK27, Kubota L3940,JD110 TLB
It is somewhat embarrassing to admit this, but I nearly rolled over my still new b2320. I went out right after heavy rain to move a pile of dirt. The ground was soaking wet and after moving a few buckets, a slight rut developed on the right side of the tractor... Right where the back wheel is. I did not have my backhoe attached so the tractor was light. In a split second while backing away from the pile with a full bucket, the tractor rolled right after biting the rut. There was no time to react... I could not believe how quick and easy it is roll this thing. What saved me is kind of funny.... While the tractor was rolling to the right my shorts got caught on the loader control stick.... Somehow my pants pulled the lever down and the bucked dropped quickly.... I sat there maybe for 10 minutes going over and over what just happened. I guess I am lucky to say that I was saved by the seam of my pants. Lesson learned: I will not lift stuff without a backhoe for added weight and stability. A weight box or filled tires will also be considered.

/ Learned my lesson today #2  
...and always wear my seat belt!

Sounds like Karma was working for you today!

/ Learned my lesson today #3  
While the tractor was rolling to the right my shorts got caught on the loader control stick.... Somehow my pants pulled the lever down and the bucked dropped quickly....

Glad you're OK, I assume you've changed your shorts. It's surprising how easy these things go over, especially with a loaded bucket. I've trained myself to lower the bucket to just above the ground as soon as I have clearance. I also take a full bucket of whatever I'm moving and kind of bounce it up and down a little to see if the rear end is at all light. If it is, I add some more ballast on the 3pt. One time I was balanced so close that when I got out of the seat the rear wheels came off the ground. I was the only thing keeping it on the ground, and I'm only 160#.

/ Learned my lesson today #4  
Probably everybody on this board has had the same wake-up call at one time or another. My lessons learned were always get the bucket as low as you can as fast as you can and keep keep your hand on the FEL control and be prepared to shove it forward.

Also, on wet ground, at any kind of a slope, it will slide down the slope really easily. Have it in 4wd to get maximum breaking ability.

/ Learned my lesson today #5  
......... I've trained myself to lower the bucket to just above the ground as soon as I have clearance.
The key element to a safe transport of a full bucket. I do the same thing every time.

/ Learned my lesson today #6  
It is somewhat embarrassing to admit this, but I nearly rolled over my still new b2320. I went out right after heavy rain to move a pile of dirt. The ground was soaking wet and after moving a few buckets, a slight rut developed on the right side of the tractor... Right where the back wheel is. I did not have my backhoe attached so the tractor was light. In a split second while backing away from the pile with a full bucket, the tractor rolled right after biting the rut. There was no time to react... I could not believe how quick and easy it is roll this thing. What saved me is kind of funny.... While the tractor was rolling to the right my shorts got caught on the loader control stick.... Somehow my pants pulled the lever down and the bucked dropped quickly.... I sat there maybe for 10 minutes going over and over what just happened. I guess I am lucky to say that I was saved by the seam of my pants. Lesson learned: I will not lift stuff without a backhoe for added weight and stability. A weight box or filled tires will also be considered.
do you believe in guardian angels-------------i do

/ Learned my lesson today
jimbo64 said:
do you believe in guardian angels-------------i do

After this close call, I do.

/ Learned my lesson today #8  
I too had one time today to on my new 2320 where going down hill i hit a rut and kinda got off kilter.. there was some pucker factor when that happened... i will have to just take my time as all my property is a large hill. Glad u where safe...

/ Learned my lesson today #9  
Lesson learned, you absolutely can not get good use out of a FEL without the proper amount of ballast/counterweight. Even with loaded tires, I usually use something on the 3PH.

Agree keeping bucket reasonably low is a good idea, but even better, don't get greedy and put too much weight there in the first place; easy to do with wet dirt/mud. As per BeezFun, make sure you are balanced well before moving and if not, drop/add weight to come into the proper balance.

Even when properly balanced, you can still roll, so do some reading on old threads and tailor your use to your level of experience as your skill confidence builds.

nebraskasparks has some good threads on rollovers/slopes etc as do some others.

One last thing, no matter how long you do this or how good you get, it can still happen so never get complacent and always have a strategy to abort or mitigate the effects.

/ Learned my lesson today #10  
I've had the back tire(s) off the ground as well. Mostly controlled but on occasion, scary. Humbling