Changing Coolant - M7040

/ Changing Coolant - M7040 #1  

dirtrustler

Tractor
Kubota M7040 4WD
My M7040 is 5 years old with 1100 hours. I know the manual calls for changing the coolant every 2 years or so but mine runs normal on the temp gauge all the time and I was just wondering if I should change it anyway? Is regular Prestone as good as any?

/ Changing Coolant - M7040 #2  
It is not that the temperature would change as far as being good or bad but there are other additives that help lubricate the bearing and other surfaces in the cooling system.

There are additives which you could add and not need to change the anti freeze!

/ Changing Coolant - M7040 #3  
That's a real nice tractor, I think I would change the coolant, and the hoses too. Hoses should go about every four years, coolant every two, for the reasons stated. If you do those things your engine will last a life time.

HS

/ Changing Coolant - M7040
OK, thanks. An ounce of prevention.....

/ Changing Coolant - M7040 #5  
   / Changing Coolant - M7040 #6  
It's the corrosion protection that is the key issue. Aluminum radiators will be eaten through :(

/ Changing Coolant - M7040 #7  
Another big issue is Silicate Drop-out. It is a nasty stuff that will coat the inside on the radiator and cooling passages and prevent proper heat transfer. Folks in the know say that old (over used) coolant is the #1 factor in silicate drop out. Just a thought.

/ Changing Coolant - M7040 #8  
Another big issue is Silicate Drop-out. It is a nasty stuff that will coat the inside on the radiator and cooling passages and prevent proper heat transfer. Folks in the know say that old (over used) coolant is the #1 factor in silicate drop out. Just a thought.

Any new heavy duty diesel antifreeze is low or no silicate. I would not use anything else but HDDA:thumbsup:

/ Changing Coolant - M7040 #9  
+ you could run a cleaner through the system & then give it a good flush. After 5 years you might want to replace the water pump, thermostat, hoses & belt. Costs just a few 100 dollars (& a few hours of your time), but is cheap insurance on a diesel. Best, Ged