Checked out a L2500 and it blew off the oil cap, high oil pressure?

/ Checked out a L2500 and it blew off the oil cap, high oil pressure?
THe breather tube on the top didnt have any blockages. It looked like the oil was draining down from the head. Is the crankcase vent internal or external?

Worst case scenario, let's say it is a cracked block or head. What would it cost to fix?

/ Checked out a L2500 and it blew off the oil cap, high oil pressure? #12  
Did you check the piece that it attached to on the valve cover if the bottom of the tube was open?

The breather tube was open. I removed it and looked through it myself. It ran down next to the pan to drain. The bottom of the tube wasnt attached to anything. Sorry if this isnt what you are asking.

When the cover was off, we opened up the inlet piece by removing 2 screws. There was a metal filter there, kinda looked like a scouring pad. Nothing was in this.

/ Checked out a L2500 and it blew off the oil cap, high oil pressure? #14  
You have pressure where there should not be. I vote for blow by or head gasket. To blow the cap off requires alot of pressure. You need someone who knows what is going on here. Guessing gets very expensive in this area. The fact that you have asked about repairing the head or block means your ready to buy the tractor. Slow down and get some expert advice. There is always another deal around the corner.

Thanks for the input. I was asking cost to factor it into my decision when and if I chose to make an offer. But based on everything that is said, I will most likely pass on this. It's just very odd that something like this could happen at only 187 hours. But I guess it can happen.

Update- talked to the owner. He said the problem is fixed. When we took off the breather tube and cover, we failed to look in the metal elbow on the cover. he said it was almost fully blocked by what appears to be some type of secretion by a bug. He says there is no pressure on the cap now. So I will go back up and confirm. If this is correct, I will most likely purchase it.

If there is anything else I need to look at please let me know. Thanks again for the help.

/ Checked out a L2500 and it blew off the oil cap, high oil pressure? #17  
You should feel very slight pressure at the tip of the tube from the valve cover, while the engine is running.. Some blow-by is probably going to be present. You might see a slight mist emerge from the tube. The gasses should not be very high. You should work the tractor or run it at least 5 min to confirm. If possible look into the radiator neck while it is running and see if you can detect air bubble leak?Mine has 725 hrs. and yes it does vent blow-by to the side of the oil pan. Hope this helps.

/ Checked out a L2500 and it blew off the oil cap, high oil pressure? #18  
Update- talked to the owner. He said the problem is fixed. When we took off the breather tube and cover, we failed to look in the metal elbow on the cover. he said it was almost fully blocked by what appears to be some type of secretion by a bug. He says there is no pressure on the cap now. So I will go back up and confirm. If this is correct, I will most likely purchase it.

If there is anything else I need to look at please let me know. Thanks again for the help.

Hope it was not run too long with this condition. Very hard on crank seals.

/ Checked out a L2500 and it blew off the oil cap, high oil pressure? #19  
Crank seals ,,as in blown from the seat, or blowing oil out , possibly on the clutch? That is another chance? Look at drain hole on the bell housing, below the clutch for a dripping while running. Hydro, disregard looking there?

/ Checked out a L2500 and it blew off the oil cap, high oil pressure? #20  
Crank seals ,,as in blown from the seat, or blowing oil out , possibly on the clutch? That is another chance? Look at drain hole on the bell housing, below the clutch for a dripping while running. Hydro, disregard looking there?

The crank seals, a.k.a. front and rear main seals, can leak regardless of the type of transmission. They can drip even after you stop the engine, as the oil will have accumulated somewhat in the bellhousing.