Oil & Fuel First winter w/ a Diesel engine: Fuel Gelled

/ First winter w/ a Diesel engine: Fuel Gelled #1  

b249

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota 2710
Is there an additive for diesel fuel that prevents it from gelling? I went out this a.m (temps were a balmy -4) and after a few cranks, the tractor started but after a few minutes it quit. I looked at the fuel filter and it was frozen from the water in it. I took it off and replaced the filter and it ran fine.

Would a "dry gas" help in this situation or am I just being lazy in maintenance by not changing the filter more often? It is less than a year old and I did not see much dirt in the canister last fall (don't remember if there was water in it or not).

thanks,

B249

/ First winter w/ a Diesel engine: Fuel Gelled #2  
b249,

I am not so sure you need a anti-gel but more of a moisture eliminator. At -4 your fuel should not be gel-ing. I would just go down to your local hardware store or farm supply and get some injector cleaner and fuel conditioner. Anti-gel may have some moisture eliminators also.

murph

/ First winter w/ a Diesel engine: Fuel Gelled #3  
You can pick up a diesel conditioner at any auto or tractor parts shop. NAPA makes a decent one, as does POR15, but I've long used Stanadyne and have no complaints. Around here, -4 is t-shirt weather these days!

Gelling and icing up are two different issues. I've never gelled even at -35 (because of the Stanadyne???), but in cold weather I religiously keep the fuel tanks in all of my internal combustion engines topped off to avoid the worry of condensation leading to the problem you had.

Clean fuel, clean filters, and a full tank in cold weather will keep your engines happy.

Pete

/ First winter w/ a Diesel engine: Fuel Gelled #4  
I,d get my fuel somewhere else, pref. a big place that turns over its stock often. I got fuel at a place 3 times till I learned my lesson about water in my fuel. Changing the filter in the cold is not fun once, much less 2 times.Sometimes its condensation, but a frozen filter is a lot of water.

Tim

/ First winter w/ a Diesel engine: Fuel Gelled #5  
I also add a fuel additive to my diesel and have had no problems. I use it year round and have had no water problems or gelling problems. Even with the -5 temps that we have had here lately I have had no problem. This is the third winter and no problems yet. Good insurance especially for cold weather.

/ First winter w/ a Diesel engine: Fuel Gelled #6  
You may want to try a Mr. Funnel funnel. It seperates the water from the fuel when you pour diesel through it. I use on and it works well.

John

/ First winter w/ a Diesel engine: Fuel Gelled #7  
Hi,

If I get fuel from a new place, I leave a bit in the bottom of my container, and pour it in a quart mason jar. Then set it aside for a few hours and see if any water settles out.

Now I know that won't help me prevent putting a bit of water in when I add the fuel [if it is in there to begin with], but it does give me peace of mind when I don't find any water in the mason jar. That fuel in the mason jar can be added later, so there is no waste...

And should I find water in the fuel...off to a new supplier I go... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ First winter w/ a Diesel engine: Fuel Gelled #8  
I have used Stanadyne in my diesel Excursion for almost 3 years with no problems; now use it in the tractor also. I purchase it by the case from Diesel Injection Service, found at www.dieselpage.com.

Terry

/ First winter w/ a Diesel engine: Fuel Gelled
Hey, Thanks to All for the responses!!

I'm gonna do a bit of everything. I'll pick up the fuel conditioner and add that to the ballance of fuel that I have left. I'm also going to purchase the fuel at a place that has better turnover. I had been buying at a station with only one diesel pump...come to think of it...I have not seen many folks at that pump!!

Mr. Funnel sounds like a good way to head off HOH problems, as well as keeping a full tank.

thanks again, I'm off to the truck stop /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

B249

/ First winter w/ a Diesel engine: Fuel Gelled #10  
A good bet on buying diesel fuel is to buy were the big truck get there fuel. As anti gell is a great idea, I have owned 3 diesel pickups and I would not run with out it!!

KC