Oil & Fuel Rear axle gets hot

/ Rear axle gets hot #1  

Arrow1

Tractor
JD 2520
I have a B2620 bought new last spring. Fluids and filters have be changed. I mow about 4 acres and after an hour mowing the rear axle seems to get real hot. I can only hold my hand on it for 5 sec. I got a inferred heat gun this weekend. Does anyone know what temp it should be and has anyone had an issue like this. Thanks for any info.

/ Rear axle gets hot #2  
If your tractor has an HST transmission, the rear end is part of that, and yes, they can get pretty hot. I can't tell you what is too hot though.

/ Rear axle gets hot #4  
Since it's common for the hydraulic fluid to get 100 degrees above the ambient temperature, i'd say if you can hold you hand on the housing for 5 seconds, it's not too hot. You might want to look at a couple of older threads. One is How hot is too hot? and the other is hyd. operating temperature.

/ Rear axle gets hot #5  
I wouldn't worry about it. The transmission/rear end is also the hydraulic sump which will get pretty hot.

/ Rear axle gets hot
Thanks for the info. I will check the temp after mowing tomorrow. I will post my results That is if it doesn't storm again. I have another problem with the hydrostatic system. The foot pedal doesn't return when I pull my foot off while going forward. It's a little dangerous. Is there an adjustment for this?

/ Rear axle gets hot #7  
I can't tell you if there is an adjustment for your tractor, but there is for a BX. To be honest, that is the one disapointment for my BX, when it is cold, it will tend not to stop when I let off the HST pedal. If you are going really fast and have the pedal floored, it usually stops right away. When you are going slow and let off it often won't stop when you let off the pedal. I've gotten used to it, and it gets better when it warms up.

/ Rear axle gets hot #8  
Make sure you are not in bypass with the hydraulics. My BX1500 will sometimes stick with the deck adjustment lever in the down position and it will sound a little different cause it bypassing and the oil will get quite a bit hotter if that's what its doing.

/ Rear axle gets hot #9  
Hydro oil is designed to work at high temp, if the hydro is behaving , I would say everything is working as expected. I have a 2011 B2920, the pedal comes back up with my foot, I like the control I have over the hydro speed, much better than my old tractor

Mine gets hot too, never measured it, but almost burned myself onetime taking a 3 pt implement off

/ Rear axle gets hot #10  
Bird is right, 100 degrees above ambient temp is no big deal. Think of it this way, if I were to heat up a piece of metal to 175 degrees, how long would you hold your hand on it? Sound to me like you do not have an issue. Take the temp and let us know.