Switching from 4 wheel drive to 2 wheel drive

/ Switching from 4 wheel drive to 2 wheel drive #1  

casolorz

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota BX1860
My BX1860 can switch between 2 and 4 wheel drive very smoothly however sometimes switching from 4 to 2 wheel drive becomes very hard, then it goes back to smooth after a bit. Of course the dealer I got it from says they can't find anything wrong or even reproduce the problem.

To me it almost feels like if I push the level down (towards the ground) and then move it from 4 to 2, it works smoother. Any idea what that might be?

Thanks,

--Carlos

/ Switching from 4 wheel drive to 2 wheel drive #2  
Same problem on occasion with my BX24. I think its just getting everything to sync up to release. Been like that from day 1. I just rock or roll the tractor alittle while applying gentle pressure until it moves.

/ Switching from 4 wheel drive to 2 wheel drive
Same problem on occasion with my BX24. I think its just getting everything to sync up to release. Been like that from day 1. I just rock or roll the tractor alittle while applying gentle pressure until it moves.

Yeah that is one of the ways I've gotten it to work. Sometimes moving a little and stopping again gets it going. What is most frustrating is that they said they can't reproduce it, first try at home and the problem is there. At least they didn't try to sell me all sorts of unneeded repairs.

/ Switching from 4 wheel drive to 2 wheel drive #4  
This is probably from the 4wd binding up due to the slight difference between the gear ratios (F vs R) and the tire sizes (F vs R). Our BX2660, B7500 and L3830 all do it to some degree as does our 4x4 pickup..

Aaron Z

/ Switching from 4 wheel drive to 2 wheel drive #5  
Try doing this: While sitting still, turn your front wheels back and forth once or twice with the steering wheel. This works like a charm for me, although I have a different tractor...still a kubota though.

/ Switching from 4 wheel drive to 2 wheel drive #6  
I've noticed it being easier when the wheels are straight.

I've noticed it being easier when the wheels are straight.

Interesting, I've never paid attention to it. To me it seems like it is harder right after I've gone up a big ditch or something that required a bit more power.

/ Switching from 4 wheel drive to 2 wheel drive #8  
My BX1860 can switch between 2 and 4 wheel drive very smoothly however sometimes switching from 4 to 2 wheel drive becomes very hard, then it goes back to smooth after a bit.
1) Turn the steering wheel about 30 degrees one way, and then 30 degrees the other way, while applying mild pressure on the 4WD/2WD selector handle towards the 2WD position. This will usually free it right up.

2) Using the pedal, move the tractor very slightly, forward and backwards, and it will help disengage as well.

Wrooster

So it sounds like a lot of people have had the issue. Is this not something the dealer can fix? I have a high temperature when mowing problem so I will be sending it in again soon.

/ Switching from 4 wheel drive to 2 wheel drive #10  
If they fix it let me know. They told me its normal