BX2360 50 hour service - lingering questions

/ BX2360 50 hour service - lingering questions #1  

sw18x

Bronze Member
Tractor
Looking
I'm getting ready to do my 50 hour service on a BX2360 and after reading Haywire's recent thread and also John Thomas's old thread, I have a few questions. I apologize in advance if it seems like I'm hijacking Haywire's topic, but by starting a new thread I'm just hoping to get as broad a response as possible.

Questions:

I read in John Thomas's post that some owners are opting for synthetic 75-90 gear oil for the front axle. I live in western NY (lots of snow), and the BX will be my only option for snow removal this year - would 75-90 be a good fit for those conditions? I've actually got some of this on the shelf left over from our racecar, so it sounds like a good option to me. That said, if the current fluid is standard (non synthetic) SUDT, should the axle be flushed at all when putting in synthetic, after it's drained? I'm assuming no since only a small residual amount of SUDT would remain after draining.

I'll probably go ahead and drain / replace all the transmission / hydro fluid. One thing I noticed in the manual, is they don't ask you to "prime" the new filters with oil before putting them on. I used to work in an automotive service station and it was always standard practice to fill the new filter with oil first. I would never do it otherwise with an engine oil change, but can anyone think of a reason not to do it on the tranny filter (short of making the job a little more messy)? I can't imagine it would hurt but neither does it hurt to ask. Also: do most Kubota dealers recycle the HST fluid free of charge?

How much SUDT does the tranny take? The manual says 3.1 gallons (real nice the way they get you to buy an extra gallon) but then again, see my question on engine oil below. Am I correct that there is only 1 filter for the SUDT that services transmission, hydrolics, and power steering? And there's only 1 drain plug for the tranny? I think I saw a tutorial on Messicks web site that showed two plugs, front and rear, but that might have been a B series.

Out of curiousity, I bought my BX in May 2011 - does anyone know if the new synthetic SUDT is now factory standard? If I remember right, the synthetic SUDT "2" is comparable in price, but I wonder if they're using it on tractors right off the line. Thoughts on the synthetic vs regular SUDT?

Engine oil: I'm using 10-30 Rotella. That was one recommendation my dealer made that I plan to follow (his other recommendations included skipping the tranny filter change and screen cleaning at 50 hours, plus he never mentioned the front axle or mower gear box). I'll be playing in the snow quite a bit and it's a little lighter than the 15-40. But the dealer said it takes 3.3 quarts (as does the manual), and I remember someone on these threads said theirs took more than that. Can anyone say definitively how much engine oil the BX2360 takes?

Any thoughts on synthetic vs. regular engine oil for diesels?

I think that's it for now - thanks for your response.

/ BX2360 50 hour service - lingering questions #2  
I am a HUGE supporter of using axle fluid in the front. I also really, really like the 75w-90 synthetic for cold operation. Warren Oil, a reputable company, sells under many names and house names, their synthetic 75w-90 for virtually no price difference than the stock 80w-90. You just have to shop. WalMart charge too much for the semi-synthetic, in my experience.

Check AutoZone, Checker, PepBoys, your local Atwood's, FleetFarm, Rural King, etc. Most of them will sell it under some name, often Mag I.

Since these fluids are compatible, I see no reason to do anything other than a good drain, with both vents open. Of course, when you refill, it takes a week or two to actually get these axles full. There are air pockets that have to work themselves out.

Kubota fills with udt likely for convenience during assembly, but states udt or gear lube as recommended for the front axle.

/ BX2360 50 hour service - lingering questions #3  
Hello,

I've done a bit of research regarding the operating fluids, more for the L's than the BX's, but this advise is generic...

I use the Chevron THF AW for the hydro/HST side, Chevron Delo 400 LE in the engine crank case, and a reputable synthetic gear lube in the front axle, usually Castrol.

Important to note both UDT and SUDT are of mineral stock... Super UDT was dreamed up for better cold weather performance than the regular UDT, and it works.

Those operating HST tractors using the fully synthetic Chevron product have reported good low temp and high temp performance.

The advantages of synthetic are pumpability and longer service intervals. Since most of us will keep our factory recommended intervals, we won't see a cost advantage of synthetic in this kind of equipment, however the benefit of pumpability and stable viscosities at high and low temps are worth it (for me) to use synthetic fluids where I will perceive a difference, HST is one of them.

Tony

Sorry I can't help with capacities.

/ BX2360 50 hour service - lingering questions #4  
There is only one hydro filter but you do have a screen, screwed in like a bolt, on the lower left side, behind the rear wheel. If you do a complete drain, be sure to remove and clean it.

After you do the change and start the BX, the hydro pump will cycle immediately, so you shouldn't need to prime the filter. I wouldn't start up and go full on the hydro pedal for a couple of minutes, but other than that...

/ BX2360 50 hour service - lingering questions #5  
Changing all the hydro oil seems to be a little waste of time and money. I know that feelings go both ways, but I decided against it. I'm gonna stick to the manual. I just did the screen cleaning (cork method worked great) and filter change.

I know it won't hurt, except the couple hundred bux out of your pocket.. :)

/ BX2360 50 hour service - lingering questions
"Important to note both UDT and SUDT are of mineral stock... Super UDT was dreamed up for better cold weather performance than the regular UDT, and it works."

So "super UDT" isn't synthetic, just an upgraded version of regular UDT...and the new synthetic version that I'm hearing about is something different altogether. Does anyone have thoughts / opinions / experience with the new synthetic HST oil from Kubota?

/ BX2360 50 hour service - lingering questions #7  
sw18x said:
"Important to note both UDT and SUDT are of mineral stock... Super UDT was dreamed up for better cold weather performance than the regular UDT, and it works."

Is "Super UDT" Kubota's new synthetic version of regular UDT? or is the new synthetic version that I'm hearing about something different?

This probably belongs in fuel-oil-lube section, but... here we go...

I'm not privy to a new fluid from Kubota that may be full synthetic, however SUDT is a mineral oil lubricant with an additive package designed to perform better than UDT in low ambients.

The Chevron product is an acceptable replacement for SUDT and is a synthetic oil.

Comes down to what helps you sleep at night I guess. I choose Jäger.

Tony

/ BX2360 50 hour service - lingering questions #8  
Engine oil: But the dealer said it takes 3.3 quarts (as does the manual), and I remember someone on these threads said theirs took more than that. Can anyone say definitively how much engine oil the BX2360 takes?

The marks on the dipstick are minimum and maximum fill. I think you'll find the 3.3 quarts will put it almost exactly in the middle.

/ BX2360 50 hour service - lingering questions
Thanks...was talking to another dealer today, as they explained it Super UDT "2" is just a slightly newer generation of the Super UDT...they've gotten a lot of questions on this themselves and, as he puts it, they wish Kubota had kept it simple and just left the "2" off the sticker to begin with.