LED work light

/ LED work light #1  

InThePines

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L3700
For a Kubota L Series (L3700SU)

I have seen many threads, some would be considered 'dated' due to price changes in this technology. So I wanted to see if anyone has used these particular lights, which I dont see much technical info on including the manufacturer. I see alot of info on GROTE, but these others that are cheaper, are they knockoffs?

Language makes it hard to tell if this is more like a flood or more like a spot. There are 2 styles. Since it gives a range of voltage, I wonder if that affects the lumens? The lumens seem very high for the price, if it is a flood.
Your opinion?

24-watt round LED light
24-Watt LED flood light

Thank you

/ LED work light #2  
Subscribed.

/ LED work light
Called TowMart. Said 24-Watt LED flood light was a best seller but also recommended the Dually LED spot/ flood which has a 3 yr warrantee, but I am going with the original and will let you know how it works out.

He said towmart has had no complaints, but I still can't get a lumens value at 12 volts from him, I don't know much about lights but seems if it has a voltage range, the higher voltage may allow brighter light. However I do understand a little about Amp / Volt relationship, so maybe it does not change output.

/ LED work light #4  
I know they are a kit more money but worth every penny if light output is your goal I would suggest the HID light. I have a similar led and although it is not bad it is far from great for light output compared to the hid.

JMHO:D

/ LED work light #5  
Those LED lights will have a very noticeable blue color to them at 6500K. Blue hues aren't picked up as well by the eye and often are even noted as "fatiguing". An LED light closer to the white spectrum or 4-5000K of the same wattage will appear substantially brighter. As kuboman stated above, HID lights have far more useful output since they fall in the warmer bands of the spectrum. most high end OEM's use HID's around 4100K which is very near natural sunlight and so appear to produce an even brighter light in a more beneficial region for our eyes.
In contrast, halogens produce around 3500K and this is why they can look very yellow or "dingy" unless very high wattages are used.

HTH!

/ LED work light #6  
Those LED lights will have a very noticeable blue color to them at 6500K. Blue hues aren't picked up as well by the eye and often are even noted as "fatiguing". An LED light closer to the white spectrum or 4-5000K of the same wattage will appear substantially brighter. As kuboman stated above, HID lights have far more useful output since they fall in the warmer bands of the spectrum. most high end OEM's use HID's around 4100K which is very near natural sunlight and so appear to produce an even brighter light in a more beneficial region for our eyes.
In contrast, halogens produce around 3500K and this is why they can look very yellow or "dingy" unless very high wattages are used.

HTH!

Acrnsparks,

Thank you for your very concise, informative post! I'd **** glad I read it!

Can you comment on the (I suspect) greater current draw of HID's as compared to LED's or halogens?

And do these HID's have a separate BALLAST, like the ones I've seen on cars? Do you have a link to a typical HID setup you'd recommend for a CUT? I want to split wood at night, using the hoe's thumb to move the big ones, etc....

Also, I may be ordering a tractor, and wanted to get your thoughts on getting the upgraded (45amp?) alternator, as opposed to the std. one, which I can't remember, but might have been as low as 18 amp?

I wanted to get an INVERTER, and have portable 110v. power, as well as use lights for extended periods WITHOUT IDLING the tractor. That's why I was initially thinking I needed LED.s

Perhaps I need both? LOL

Thanks,

My Hoe

/ LED work light
Arcnsparks, thank you for the post. Very informative, I had no idea why those K ratings were frequently listed. Now I do... but I have already ordered the light and it arrives today. I know what you mean by those 'blue' looking lights, I dont like meeting cars at night that have those. I plan to do a simple install over the weekend using the worklight wires found under the fender. If it works out, I will try to post a night picture. I had planned to add a second light depending on the results. Now I will have better knowledge about that purchase.

/ LED work light #8  
One other thing, I am just guessing here, but the lamp may have an electronic regulator built in to it. to accept so wide a range of voltages. So what I am saying is that no matter if it is hooked to 24 volts or 12 volts systems the light output will be the same. This would be easy to do, a simple LM723 and a pass transistor built in would work.

James K0UA

/ LED work light #9  
Tow truck company down the road (build tow trucks and sell parts) are using mainly LED lights for all the work lights and all the flasher type. One of the reasons is the amount of draw on the system. Very very little compared to other types ie: halogen etc. This way they can put twice as many lights on a truck and they still have lots of head room since they find owners always want to add even more later on. Sound familiar? These guys must have tractors at home. :)

/ LED work light #10  
One issue with LED vs Halogen lights if you do snow removal with the tractor is the LED lights can ice up as they give off basically no heat. The halogens get hot and melt of the snow/ice. I am running halogen lights for that reason on my Kubota.

HID lights are nice but crazy $$$.

Just Google "HID Work Light" and check the prices.