Tech at dealer put my HST fan on backwards

/ Tech at dealer put my HST fan on backwards #1  

cal1

Bronze Member
Tractor
kubota bx24
Ok I tried to replace my HST fan and finally gave up on waiting for my manuals and trying everything short of full disassemble of everypart in sight and took my partically disassembled bx24 to a Kubota dealer. Based on the little amount of work they needed to do they quoted me $100 to replace the fan. Three days later I pick it up and while putting everything back on I notice that the new fan is mounted backwards. During the call back to the dealership the tech tried to explain that it would be fine blah blah blah. I trucked it back and insisted they put in on correctly. I've looked at the original fan at least 30 times so I instantly knew it was put on wrong. In their defence I had cut off the old one so the tech would have had to have done many of these to know the correct way. Or read the manual. In either case I'm out of my tractor for another week.

A ex-fighter pilot (and therefore assumed expert in airflow and fans) tried to explain that you can't put a fan on backwards. Even though the blade cups were facing in the wrong direction it would still have cooled the transmission. I do seem to remember that my ceiling fan has a switch that changes direction of airflow without changing blade pitch. Any thoughts? The lead tech at the dealership agreed that it is put on backwards.

/ Tech at dealer put my HST fan on backwards #2  
Being a HVAC tech, I can assure you that fan blades are directional. You are correct. A cupped blade is highly directional, more so than a flat design. It should go on the way it came off.

Last edited:
   / Tech at dealer put my HST fan on backwards #3  
I'd insist they re-do it correctly or refund your money. If you paid by credit card, you can stop the payment.

/ Tech at dealer put my HST fan on backwards #4  
UHHH:confused2:

They may not be as efficient but they will still blow air in the same direction

/ Tech at dealer put my HST fan on backwards #5  
Sounds like dealer was trying to help and give you a break. But as they say "no good deed goes un punished"

/ Tech at dealer put my HST fan on backwards #6  
kuboman said:
UHHH:confused2:

They may not be as efficient but they will still blow air in the same direction

Why does that confuse you?

/ Tech at dealer put my HST fan on backwards #7  
Why does that confuse you?

Sorry I reread the first post and realized what he was saying. Long day and now I will be quiet.:eek:

/ Tech at dealer put my HST fan on backwards #8  
You are right about the ceiling fan - flat blades, slow turning, not high efficiency, but they do their job in either direction. I have an old 1929 Case CC sitting out front that also doesn't make any diff which way you install - completely symmetrical flat blades. My experience with handling calls from customers with fans installed backwards is rare, but it happens. Second thing on our overheating checklist, after checking for a plugged radiator/oil cooler/ATAAC/AC condensor is to check and make sure the fan is installed properly. Some of our models have sucker fans and some have blower fans - service technicians are more likely to mix them up. The reason for having different fans is we always want to push the hot air away from the operator. That air can be as hot as 180 degrees on a hot day with a machine working hard and broiled customers are not good for repeat business.

/ Tech at dealer put my HST fan on backwards #9  
When you put it on backwards, it makes the "fit hit the shan.":laughing:

/ Tech at dealer put my HST fan on backwards #10  
We had on the farm an old Cat with reversible fan blades; each blade could swivel on the hub by loosening a clamp. Set them to blow air from engine to radiator in summer to keep heat and dust off the operator and then reversed each winter to blow warm air back over engine and on to operator. Better to be warm and dusty than cold and clean.