Loader LA524 Specs ... Is this bale too heavy?

/ LA524 Specs ... Is this bale too heavy? #21  
Like I said, your tractor should be able to lift the bales just fine as my L3400 does. That does not mean that you shouldn't be thinking of a larger tractor anyway to do it as safely as possible and with as little wear to your front seals as possible.

Absolutely...
To be honest... when I went to the local Bota house.. I talked with the salesman and just told him I ONLY wanted to be shown 4x4 tractors that could safely handle 5x6 round bales on a consistent basis. I explained to him that I wanted a measure of safety.
Apparently, most people jsut load the tires, but I did not want to since I have the "Murphys Law" kinda luck.. If I put antifreeze in them, I'd have a major leak the very next week...
I built a weight box and filled it with iron ore rocks.. I have no clue what it weighs, but its definitely enough..

/ LA524 Specs ... Is this bale too heavy?
While you are at the dealer, have you read about the jerky 3 point hitch??? The dealer will need to put an implement on the 3ph for counter weight to lift the bale... very, very slowly raise up the 3 point hitch and see how you like that... (lots of reading on TBN about it).

Any idea what the back hoe weighs?

Enough! :D (Honest answer, not really, guess 800-1000 lbs.?)

I would guess at least 1000 ... so 1000 lb backhoe + 600 lbs of ballast in the tires ... Maybe enough to offset an 1100 lb bale :)

/ LA524 Specs ... Is this bale too heavy? #25  
I would guess at least 1000 ... so 1000 lb backhoe + 600 lbs of ballast in the tires ... Maybe enough to offset an 1100 lb bale :)

According to Kubota Canada BH77 weigh's 1400 lbs see below at very bottom of the list

James K0UA

Model BH77
Transport height 80.7 in. (2051 mm)
Stabilizer spread transport 51.8 in. (1315 mm)
Ground clearance 11.5 in. (292 mm)
Overall width 54.9 in. (1394 mm)
Maximum digging depth 93.6 in. (2378 mm)
Digging depth

2 ft, flat bottom 92.5 in. (2349 mm)

8 ft, flat bottom 69.2 in. (1758 mm)
Operating height, fully raised 119.3 in. (3029 mm)
Loading height 66.1 in. (1680 mm)
Loading reach 50.8 in. (1290 mm)
Reach from swing pivot 124.3 in. (3156 mm)
Swing pivot to rear axle center line 37.6 in. (954 mm)
Bucket rotation 180.0コ
Stabilizer spread-operating 69.0 in. (1753 mm)
Angle of departure per SAE: J1234 17.5コ
Leveling angle 10.2コ
Swing arc 180.0コ
Weight 1400 lbs. (635 kg)

/ LA524 Specs ... Is this bale too heavy? #26  
I've been running tractors, mainly Kubota's for 25 years now and I would never put CaCl in any tire. It ruins the rims. Beet pulp or just the Kubota optional rear cast weights.

Secondly, I've never seen a 5x6 round bale and I'm in the commercial forage contract business. Must be some oddball bailer.......:laughing:

Thirdly, any L series tractor handling a bale in the excess of 1000 pounds in a lifted and traveling position on uneven terrain poses a roll over risk. The tractor C/G becomes elevated and the track width is fairly narrow plus the gross weight of that series is low.

I would never consider any traveling with any round bale in the excess of 1000 pounds on a bale spear or in the front bucket with a tractor less than 75 PTO horsepower and unladen weight under 5000 pounds but then I prefer a safety margin of the consequences.

If you don't want to load the tires and/or install rear weight disc's, install a rear mount bale spear and stab a bale on the back for a counter weight. That's how I pull them from the field to the trailer, one on the front and one on the back, always.

According to Kubota Canada BH77 weigh's 1400 lbs (635 kg)

OK...I'm feeling more confident about the 3800 ... Trying to use some critical thinking skills.

1400lb backhoe + 600lbs = 2000lbs of ballast in the rear of this tractor :thumbsup:

Another thought ... max weight takes into consideration the weight of the bucket. I don't know what it weighs but I am willing to bet it weighs more than the bale spear by at least 200 - 300lbs.

That said, if max lift cap is 850lbs, 18 inches forward of the pin, at 5.5 feet ... then I would think you could add another 200 - 300lbs to that number when using a bale spear... 1050 to 1150 lbs ... not to far away from where I need to be.

I'll take pictures and video! Thanks for all your opinons and great information. I can't tell you how much relief I feel being able to share info with the forum.

/ LA524 Specs ... Is this bale too heavy? #28  
Take the backhoe off and see how the 3point works with something mounted to it... before you buy it... and if it's smooth operating post the video... KennyV

/ LA524 Specs ... Is this bale too heavy? #29  
Ok... Two words. "Prove it!"

I emailed the dealer and will be visiting early tomorrow morning when the open. I'm going to push the bale off into his yard. Let's see how this works out!

That is a good idea and can save you some major headaches. In any case take some pictures and let us see.
Good luck

/ LA524 Specs ... Is this bale too heavy? #30  
Secondly, I've never seen a 5x6 round bale and I'm in the commercial forage contract business. Must be some oddball bailer.......:laughing:

5x6 is a very common size for large operations. The reason you probably haven't seen them is they aren't popular for hay producers who sell a lot of hay off the farm because the bales aren't easy to transport. (two 5' wide bales side by side on a trailer is too wide to go down the road) I've handled a lot of 5x6 bales and they are BIG. I can't believe the guy using a L4400 to move them, that's probably worse than the OP's situation. A 5x6 bale can weigh up to 2200lbs in dry hay. They are handled best with 100+ hp tractors, I wouldn't use our M9540 to move them on a regular basis.

As to the OP, I'd go for the L4400. It's not fun using a tractor regularly for a task it is too small for. We handle 4x5 bales with a 5045e JD and M9540 Kubota and they both handle them well. If you were talking 4x4 bales then the L3800 would be an ideal match. I move that size bale with my little B3200 pretty easy. If you do decide on the L3800, I'd really look at industrial tires. I hate them for most types of work, but for heavy loader work they can't be beat. The front ag tires with that much weight on them will be almost smashed flat and it makes it hard to maneuver, especially if you are on level ground.