Loader LA524 Specs ... Is this bale too heavy?

/ LA524 Specs ... Is this bale too heavy?
5x6 is a very common size for large operations. beat.

I think someone misread ... I am using 4x5 bales... 4 foot high, 5 foot in diameter.

I was at the dealer first thing this morning with a round bale. After a walk around the dealer's yard and a chat with my saleman we went to work. The salesmen attached a bale spear to my new L3800, rolled over to my pickup, stabbed the bale and lifted staight up to max height!

The tractor was at idle and appeared to have no trouble at all lifting the bale. My friend's 50hp MF actually groans a little when picking these bales up.

The kicker here was there was no ballast weight. Another salesperson stood on the three point while lifting. The tractor was backed away slowly and the bale lowered to about 12" from the ground. The salesperson rode around the for about 3 minutes and proceeded slowly when turning. With the 1400 backhoe on the tail I don't think I'll have any concerns.

I'm really impressed with the performance of this "little" tractor. I expected it to nose down when lifting the bale and was certain something bad if not entertaining was going to happen during the test run.

I've decided to go with the L3800 as I only move bales occasionally for storage and then 1 bale every 1-2 weeks.

I agree bigger would be better but I think for my very small "hobby farm" I can get along without some 100+ HP turbo diesel monster... Don't want to frighten the ponies!

I will get videos up on YouTube and provide some reviews if you all are interested.

/ LA524 Specs ... Is this bale too heavy? #32  
This is EXACTLY what I expected and what I have been saying if you have been reading my responses. If my L3400 can do it, being the older model of your tractor, your L3800 will be able to do it as well.

All of that said, you will be able to do it SAFER with a L4400 with less strain on your axle and particularly if you have less than level ground.

You don't need a 100HP tractor but a good rule of thumb is figure out which size tractor you need and get the next size up. A L4400 will be a modest upgrade price from a L3800 and if I were you I would strongly consider it.

Just my $0.02.

Regardless what you choose, all the best with your new tractor!

/ LA524 Specs ... Is this bale too heavy? #34  
I think someone misread ... I am using 4x5 bales... 4 foot high, 5 foot in diameter.

I realize that, that portion of my post was in response to 5030s comment. The last section was related to your situation.

Regardless, glad the demonstration went well.

/ LA524 Specs ... Is this bale too heavy?
I realize that, that portion of my post was in response to 5030s comment. The last section was related to your situation.

Regardless, glad the demonstration went well.

Thanks for the input... Wish I could have stepped up to the MX5100 ... Boy they sound sweet when they wind up!

/ LA524 Specs ... Is this bale too heavy? #36  
sounds like you got the right tractor an loader for your needs.i have the MX5100 HST 4x4 with LA844 fel an we move 5 by 6 bales all winter long no sweat.but we always carry 2 at once.with 4 by 6 an smaller its no prob with 1 on the loader only.but with your tractor its best to always have rear ballast on at all times.

/ LA524 Specs ... Is this bale too heavy? #37  
Well, as they say I guess the proof is in the pudding, me I am going to have some "crow".:) As I was the first to tell you not to do it, I reckon I stand corrected. I still think it is on the edge, but if it lifted the bale, well good enough. Did those front AG tires look OK? And as you pointed out you are not going to lift them every day. One day early after I got the L3400HST, I chained an enormous rock into the bucket, I had my 750lbs ballast on but had not loaded the tires yet, and backed up a rise with it on and the Rear tires went 2 foot in the air and the bucket/rock went down to earth.. Kinda gotta wonder how much that stinking rock weighed:eek: At the time I figured about 1100 lbs the max rating of the loader as it lifted kinda slow, but now I am not Sure. I wound up dragging it with a chain. Anyway I am glad it worked out for you, and congratulations on your new tractor, welcome to team orange!:thumbsup:

James K0UA

/ LA524 Specs ... Is this bale too heavy? #38  
5x6 is a very The reason you probably haven't seen them is they aren't popular for hay producers who sell a lot of hay off the farm because the bales aren't easy to transport. (two 5' wide bales side by side on a trailer is too wide to go down the road) I've handled a lot of 5x6 bales and they are BIG. I can't believe the guy using a L4400 to move them, that's probably worse than the OP's situation. A 5x6 bale can weigh up to 2200lbs in dry hay.

Pretty common size for around here... we just sit them side by side on the trailer.. They hang over some, but everybody transporting around here hangs over some...
Guess ya'll would really cringe if I told ya'll I pull 10 5x6 bales with a 3/4 ton truck on a dual tandem trailer...???
EVERYTHING is bigger in Texas... including the wrecks!! hahahhaa