Loader LA524 Specs ... Is this bale too heavy?

/ LA524 Specs ... Is this bale too heavy? #1  
:newhere:

Please refer to link: Products: LA524 Kubota Canada Ltd. :tractor:

Click on the specs tab.

Can someone provide a breakdown on the meaning/difference between U, V, W, and X?

I was told by the dealer the L3800 equipped with the LA524 will lift up to 1490 :licking:

I thought this was good as my round bales weigh in from 900 - 1100 pounds :thumbsup: I bought the tractor and I'm awaiting delivery.

I've going over all the specifications and see there are several lift capacity ratings, of which one is 1490... and then there is one that is 855 pounds :shocked:

Can someone tell me ... If I poke a 4x5 round bale with my spear, and said round bale weighs 1100 pounds, will I be able to lift the round bale over 5 feet? Will I be able to lift more round bales, over and over again?

/ LA524 Specs ... Is this bale too heavy? #2  
:newhere:

Please refer to link: Products: LA524 Kubota Canada Ltd. :tractor:

Click on the specs tab.

Can someone provide a breakdown on the meaning/difference between U, V, W, and X?

I was told by the dealer the L3800 equipped with the LA524 will lift up to 1490 :licking:

I thought this was good as my round bales weigh in from 900 - 1100 pounds :thumbsup: I bought the tractor and I'm awaiting delivery.

I've going over all the specifications and see there are several lift capacity ratings, of which one is 1490... and then there is one that is 855 pounds :shocked:

Can someone tell me ... If I poke a 4x5 round bale with my spear, and said round bale weighs 1100 pounds, will I be able to lift the round bale over 5 feet? Will I be able to lift more round bales, over and over again?

Oh dear, Very likely if the bales really weigh 1100 lbs you are going to have trouble.
(U) Lift Capacity (Bucket pivot pin, max height)

Standard 1131 lbs (513 kg)
(V) Lift Capacity (500 mm forward, max height

Standard 855 lbs. (388 kg)
(W) Lift Capacity (Bucket pivot pin, 1.5 M height)

Standard 1490 lbs. (676 kg)
(X) Lift Capacity (500 mm forward, 1500 mm height)

Standard 1182 lbs. (536 kg)

ok lift capacity at max height ( 94.3 inches) at the pivot pin is the 1131 lbs. but let me tell you, you had better have at least 1000 lbs on the 3pt and Loaded tires too. and move on solid flat ground very slowly. Note the 1131 lbs is at the pivot pin, not stuck out there on the hay spear. Now lift cap. stuck out 500 MM. or about 19.5 inches at your maximum height is only 855 lbs. You hay bale is going to be out there more than 19.5 inches from the pivot pin. so you are not going to lift the bale to full height. Look at X which is your lift cap 500 mm (19.5 or so inches) and will lift 1182 lbs only 1.5 meters high so yes there is 4.9 foot, about the 5 foot you say you need, but let me tell you, you are on the ragged edge as you hay bale is out there more than the 500mm. You might gain a little as the hay spear and QA plate MAY weight a little less than the bucket. maybe. How about a 3pt hay spear on the rear, more likely to work but wont get to 5 foot height tho. hate to tell you these things, but you either need smaller bales, or a bigger tractor. YMMV, and these are just my opinions. But this is what I think.

James K0UA

/ LA524 Specs ... Is this bale too heavy? #3  
If it lifts that much is not so much the issue...I wonder if you will want to lift the most it can possibly lift... and over 5 ft... I doubt...

/ LA524 Specs ... Is this bale too heavy?
hate to tell you these things, but you either need smaller bales, or a bigger tractor. YMMV, and these are just my opinions. But this is what I think.

James K0UA

I needed to hear this! I have not picked up the tractor yet...

I was concerned when I read "500mm in front of pin" ... I'm not an engineer but after reading your thoughts I am very concerned.

I went with AG tires and had them filled with water. I'm told I can expect another 300 pounds of weight per tire. I also have the back hoe.

If I tilt the spear back/up and point it to the sky this will effectively move the weight toward the pin ... yes?

I move/stack about 25 bales at one time for storage, then one bale at a time when its time to feed. The bales are stacked 2 high and so the center of the highest bale is about 6.5' high ... So I would spear the bale at that level, lift and tilt back, back away and then lower the bale to travel about 100 yards.

The tractor's primary job is ground work... grading, fence work, tree work, moving debris and working on a pond. I wanted something that was "just enough" for what I am doing ... but I MUST be able to move bales of this size...4x5 round bales are it

Should I go back and talk with the dealer?

/ LA524 Specs ... Is this bale too heavy? #5  
Again I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I think you have bought too small of a tractor, go back and get a Grand L with at least the La724 loader. or if you dont need the extra features and costs, maybe either a L4400 or Mx5100 which is an economy tractor like the L3800 but the Mx4700 or Mx5100 I believe has the La844 loader which has these specs:

(U) Lift Capacity (Bucket pivot pin, max height)

Standard 2443 lbs. (1108 kg)
(V) Lift Capacity (500 mm forward, max height

Standard 1852 lbs. (840 kg)
(W) Lift Capacity (Bucket pivot pin, 1.5 M height)

Standard 3060 lbs. (1388 kg)
(X) Lift Capacity (500 mm forward, 1500 mm height)

Standard 2478 lbs. (1124

Now you are not going to be on the ragged edge any more and with 1200 lbs or so on the rear with one of these tractors you are going to be safe and can easily move those bales around. I know I sound like a Kubota salesman, I am not, Just an owner of a L3400HST, which is the same as your L3800 only 1 year older, and the loader is about the same, just rated differently, and the steel lines are routed differently, and I know I would not try to be moving 1100 lbs bales from 6.5 foot high. Again this is just my opinion, others may disagree.

James K0UA

/ LA524 Specs ... Is this bale too heavy? #6  
Just for comparison I lift 1000# bales with my b3200.(this of course is not recommended):D And it does it easy. What it won't do is roll back without a little help. You will need substantial weight on the back end though. I do think you will feel that the tractor is some what undersized to really do that kind of work on a regular basis. Once in a while it should work fine.
I don't know about the standard L's but the two grand L's I have had were both way low on the hydraulic pressure. You may want to have it checked if yours under performs.

Last edited:
   / LA524 Specs ... Is this bale too heavy? #7  
Everyone else has pretty well cover most of the aspects to your inquiry. But this may help somewhat now and in the FUTURE. TractorData.com This website covers SPECS in regards to Tractors---engines, HP, transmissions, lift capacity,weight, height, dimensions and various other specs;etc. A lot of makes and models from Manufacturers are included on this site. Perhaps this will be of some help. I own a L4400. Happy Tractoring. The best of LUCK.:tractor:

/ LA524 Specs ... Is this bale too heavy?
My initial visit to Kubota was for the B ... the dealer turned me toward the L the moment I mentioned round bales.

I won't be moving bales on a daily basis. I have four horses and they get a bale per week in the winter.

Am I safe in saying the lift specs are based on a tractor without any ballast? I'm thinking an additional 600 pounds of weight in the rear tires (water) and the weight of the back hoe and I should be safe for a weekly move?

If I move up to the 4400, 3940 or even the MX I will need to drop the back hoe ... I need, ah hum ... I want both the FEL and HOE so I can grade and dig. My budget was $30k and I just about hit that with the bale spear and tooth bar for the bucket.

The dealer says this is stought tractor and I will be able to lift the bales ... Is there anyone out there that can say "I was not able to lift/move a round bale with my ... "

/ LA524 Specs ... Is this bale too heavy? #9  
One other thing the AG tires as they come on the L3800 may not be rated for these kinds of loads, or just barely rated. Likewise the front axle, is not really designed to have maximum loads all the time, the front seals and bearing will let you know after a while.:eek:
A larger tractor will have bigger higher rated tires and a stronger front axle. just saying. I know, I know, I am being "Debbie Downer" here, but the time to make the decision is now, not after taking delivery.

James K0UA

/ LA524 Specs ... Is this bale too heavy? #10  
kuboman
Have these 1000# bales that you're lifting with your B3200 been weighed or is this a guesstimate? I pick up 1000-1200# scale weighed bales with my M4900/cab equipped with a LA1002 and it requires a lot of rear ballast to keep rear wheels on the ground.