Aftermarket Cab Pricing

/ Aftermarket Cab Pricing #1  

jambx

Gold Member
Tractor
B2920 TLB, ZD21-60P, 1949 US Baird Beaver
I guess my rant is to just see if I am the only one that thinks that cabs are awesome but appear to be very expensive for the return most get out of them.

I have been interested in these recenlty for the winter time (carhart is not cutting it anymore) for plowing and general use etc but I am not happy about the price point.

I did speak to a factory sales person (from one of the more popular brands) and he stated that they shoot for a price that is 1/5th the cost of the tractor itself. Being that I have little experience with these aftermarket cabs it is very hard for me to accept the fact that the going rate for one of these for a compact tractor is approaching $4000. I am not saying they are not worth it but the price point in my head for such a luxury was more in the $2500 - $3000 range.

This pricing model also reminds me of core aerator prices which are very expensive for what otherwise I feel is not a lot of engineering.

I would think the likes of Sims, Curtis others would do very well for a stripped down version. :thumbsup:

Is it me or does this product pricing seem kind of steep?..:confused:

/ Aftermarket Cab Pricing #2  
I started shopping for a cab for my B2400 and that's exactly what made me buy a B3030 with a factory cab. At first it seemed relatively affordable, but once you realize that literally everything is an option, you might as well get a tractor with a factory cab. I figured that once I added a few things that I felt were needed...... headliner, front work lights, heater, i was within a thousand dollars of what the factory optional cab was and the aftermarket had no A/C . The fit and finish was not even in the ballpark, and from what I could tell, little payback when it came time to sell or trade. For me it didn't add up.

/ Aftermarket Cab Pricing #3  
I agree, they are pricey, to day the least. Is a factory cabbed tractor an option for you??

/ Aftermarket Cab Pricing #4  
I started shopping for a cab for my B2400 and that's exactly what made me buy a B3030 with a factory cab. At first it seemed relatively affordable, but once you realize that literally everything is an option, you might as well get a tractor with a factory cab. I figured that once I added a few things that I felt were needed...... headliner, front work lights, heater, i was within a thousand dollars of what the factory optional cab was and the aftermarket had no A/C . The fit and finish was not even in the ballpark, and from what I could tell, little payback when it came time to sell or trade. For me it didn't add up.

Similar situation with me. The aftermarket cabs only use chintzy plug in heaters, no wipers or defrosters, no a/c and are like a huge erector set trying to put together. 2 guys close to 2 full days. On top of that the after market cab will be worth 1/3 at most of what you paid for it as value to the tractor whereas the factory cab maintains 80% of its cost/ value consistently. Plus the AM cabs will work loose over time. I looked at all the options and biting the bullet and trading for a factory cab is a very sound investment mid to long term. There is a point to the saying you can go broke saving money. It's practicality and not extravagant IMO.

/ Aftermarket Cab Pricing #6  
Jodale Perry makes some nice ones too, far from cheap if spec'd to match an OEM cab.

/ Aftermarket Cab Pricing #7  
I sat in a Curtis cab installed on a new L3800 in a dealer's lot the other day. The heater is istalled on the far left about even with the top of the fender so it makes entry, and egress difficult for still old guys like me. Otherwise, it was a very nice unit.......... but not in the same league as a factory cab for sure as far as intergration, and resale value. I have no idea which is noiser, and that probably is a case by case thing.

/ Aftermarket Cab Pricing
Thanks for the replies guys - I dont think Kubota makes cabs for the smaller B series (2x20s) not to mention I assume the Kubota unit price would likley be north of what I am already have a problem with.

In the end I will just save my pennies and pull the trigger - just can not believe these things are as expensive as they are...

/ Aftermarket Cab Pricing #9  
I sat in a Curtis cab installed on a new L3800 in a dealer's lot the other day. The heater is istalled on the far left about even with the top of the fender so it makes entry, and egress difficult for still old guys like me. Otherwise, it was a very nice unit.......... but not in the same league as a factory cab for sure as far as intergration, and resale value. I have no idea which is noiser, and that probably is a case by case thing.

Chuck, I'm only about a mile from there........ be happy to meet up for coffee, lunch or whatever some time.

/ Aftermarket Cab Pricing #10  
actually Kubota does make a cab for the B series, I saw a B with cab at a county fair where Kubota was showing there equipment. I was actually asking one of the reps about a cab for the BX, and that they do not make:mad:

the one on the B looked real nice, great fit and finish, but I didn't look too closely at it, or I might have started to cry with envy.

I have looked at AM alternatives but all are pricey to pricier and none would come close to the quality of the factory cabs. I live in Canada not too far from where Laurin is and although considered one of the better AM cabs, they are very pricey. For a BX I would be looking at 6 to 8 thousand installed, and I heard because they have a high profile, they raise your center of gravity quite a bit.

I have heard of some on this site that have made their own, I might give that a shot. To pay about $4000 for a Sims installed and from some accounts they are cheaply made compared to a factory cab + they have inconveniences like much more difficult to remove the BH, there's a thread on that here. I can take a shot at something myself that won't be $4k.

If I were you I would check out the factory cab for your B, if I had a B that's what I would probably get. Otherwise if you are pretty hands on (like most guys that own tractors) take a shot at making something on your own. Aluminum 2 inch square frame posts, polycarbonate sheets, stainless steel fasteners and lots of time and patience can get you there, or at least started!

good luck