Mowing Problems with Bx "Fine Cut" rck54p23bx deck cut

/ Problems with Bx "Fine Cut" rck54p23bx deck cut #21  
I believe someone has posted the part#'s for the GB's that will fit a 54" MMM. If interested you may try a search in this forum.
Oregon does not make a "drop in fit" GatorBlade for the standard (non-fine cut) 54" MMM (Kubota deck model number RCK54-23BX).

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/kubota-owning-operating/173853-bx1860-54-mmm-rck54-23bx.html

Regarding the 60" MMM, see

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/kubota-owning-operating/136258-bx-60-mmm-gator-blade.html

Wrooster

/ Problems with Bx "Fine Cut" rck54p23bx deck cut #22  
While we're all speculating, here's another wild ***** guess, check to make sure you have blades for a 54" deck, if they were the ones for a 48" deck, it would explain grass left at sides and middle, and the poor cut from tip speed to slow.

/ Problems with Bx "Fine Cut" rck54p23bx deck cut
Thanks for the suggestions so far.

To try and help come up with an answer, i ran out and put a piece of plywood under the deck and took some measurements. The deck was in the upper position for most of them as i couldnt get my tape underneath to measure otherwise.

left front

IMG_3465.jpg

Left rear

IMG_3466.jpg

Left profile

IMG_3467.jpg

looking under deck from left

IMG_3468.jpg

right front

IMG_3469.jpg

right rear

IMG_3469.jpg

Deck at cut height , 3 on the dial

IMG_3472.jpg

As you can see there isnt a huge differance from left to right, hardly any actually.

I coud perhaps stand to lower the leading edge a bit as the blades appear to be flat.

I know that having the deck raised all the way could interfere with the measurements, but until i come up with a way to measure at cut height im stumped

Mozark: the blades are for a 54. Threre was next to no clearance to the mulch baffels when i installed them

Radioman:

The pictures are hard to see, but their are 2 distinct paths where the grass is uncut. Both those paths are directly inline with the fromt wheels. If a blade wasnt cutting i think the uncut path would be easy to see.

I cant really remove the baffles to see if that changes anything, as its all one piece and id have to completely remove the kit and blades.

The type of grass is some pasture with some bluegrass. there arent that many weeds surprisingly.

/ Problems with Bx "Fine Cut" rck54p23bx deck cut #24  
You really need to have someplace to measure that the entire tractor fits on. The deck is a floating deck not ground contact so the tractor tires make a big difference in the measurements. Also there is a gauge available from John Deere for less than $20 that is great for this task. The measurements should be done at cutting height also. The blades being level front to back will definitely leave a poor quality cut.

image-1365301890.png

/ Problems with Bx "Fine Cut" rck54p23bx deck cut #25  
also, if you raise to top position (until lift arms have no more travel) the deck is not "floating" as 'leveled'...at least raise all the way up, then drop to highest setting...you will actually see the deck change height from front to back when you do this...all the way up will not be same as ANY selected cutting height.

/ Problems with Bx "Fine Cut" rck54p23bx deck cut #26  
Was your grass wet when you cut? It looks like the grass is really packed
under your deck.

/ Problems with Bx "Fine Cut" rck54p23bx deck cut #27  
I have the same mower on a BX 1860 and it does a great job. However, I don't have the mulch kit, the lawn surface itself is pretty firm and the wheels don't sink down, and I certainly never let the lawn grow to 6-8". I've NEVER had to mow in low range, not even close.

/ Problems with Bx "Fine Cut" rck54p23bx deck cut
You really need to have someplace to measure that the entire tractor fits on. The deck is a floating deck not ground contact so the tractor tires make a big difference in the measurements. Also there is a gauge available from John Deere for less than $20 that is great for this task. The measurements should be done at cutting height also. The blades being level front to back will definitely leave a poor quality cut.

View attachment 229727

Next time im handy a deere dealer ill pick one up. As i mentioned earlier i dont really have a good reference surface to measure off right now. I basically took quick and dirty measurements to see if something was REALLY off.

also, if you raise to top position (until lift arms have no more travel) the deck is not "floating" as 'leveled'...at least raise all the way up, then drop to highest setting...you will actually see the deck change height from front to back when you do this...all the way up will not be same as ANY selected cutting height.

Yeah, i kinda figured sitting on the stops would screw with the measurement. Until i pick up a deere gauge im really at a loss to take a accurate measurement at cut height.

Was your grass wet when you cut? It looks like the grass is really packed
under your deck.

Grass was slightly damp that day. The deck looks typical from other days when it was dry however. And dry or damp, the cut is the same.

I have the same mower on a BX 1860 and it does a great job. However, I don't have the mulch kit, the lawn surface itself is pretty firm and the wheels don't sink down, and I certainly never let the lawn grow to 6-8". I've NEVER had to mow in low range, not even close.

Low range is only because of the slopes i live on and having effective braking, its not due to load on the tractor.

6-8" growth is a fact of life. Between rain days and the fact Im not retired with free time to spend several days a week mowing.

The issue here is another machine could cut the same grass, at the same growth height and the same cut height at higher ground speed, and leave a level, even cut. The Kubota cant come close... Yet....

/ Problems with Bx "Fine Cut" rck54p23bx deck cut #29  
I experience this problem on my BX with the 60 deck, standard blades, no mulching kit. I think your guide wheels need to go down 1 or 2 notches so only 1 or 1.5 holes are protruding up. I mow at the 3.1 and 3.2 setting, which can get the grasss pretty short, and at full throttle like manual says.

I think what is happening is the part of the grass that isnt cutting (or looks like it isnt) is actually in a dip, lower than the surround grass. What I do in this situation, because my yard has a lot of them, is mow parallel to that "strip" and use the left or right side of the deck (depending if its on aa hill or not, and left it "hang". This always works for me and cuts the grass that is growing on ground that is lower than surrounding areas. Overall Im impressed with the cut of the 60". I used to have a JD 345 with the 54" deck, and yes, it did mow better, but that was really a dedicated mower. The kubota cut isnt as good, but the difference is so minimal for all the benefits of the BX its fine for me.

/ Problems with Bx "Fine Cut" rck54p23bx deck cut #30  
I have a BX2660 with the 60 inch deck, no mulch kit and terminator blades. I have my deck 1/4 in lower in the from and I set my deck wheels so the front just barely touches the ground and the backs roll with the resistance of the grass. I have found this gives the best quality cut for me. I mowed tonight at a pretty high rate of speed and I think it turned out pretty good.

image-2889299119.jpg

image-1377859408.jpg