Front Mount Snowblower 62 or 72?

/ Front Mount Snowblower 62 or 72? #11  
I have a 72 inch woods 3 point on order and thier tech dept said it would handle it fine, may have to reduce ground speed in deep snow. Chains for traction. Go for the 72

/ Front Mount Snowblower 62 or 72? #12  
I have the Kubota 72 in front mounted blower on a L3240. Just have to adjust speed according to conditions. The HST makes this easy. My tractor has the R4 tires on it and the 63 inch blower would not cover the tires so I went with the 72 inch blower.

/ Front Mount Snowblower 62 or 72? #13  
JeffBurton,

I heard the same general arguement about using the 62" snow blower on a L3130 and had the same issue about wanting to cover the tracks. In the end I went with a 72" unit and I'm very satisfied with it. I'm also glad I didn't listen to the local dealer.

No it is not too heavy for the tractor.

If you search my user name you can read about my adventure earlier this year when I purchased and installed a used snow blower.

/ Front Mount Snowblower 62 or 72? #14  
I've had my 3430 with a 72" blower for about five years now. Never had a problem with too much snow. If you watch the video it's from last spring's storm. The snow was about as deep, wet and heavy as it's going to get around these parts and I just took my time and cleared it. Sorry about the sideways view. I shot the video with my phone and can't seem to straighten it out but you'll be able to see the progress.

Kubota - YouTube

/ Front Mount Snowblower 62 or 72? #15  
jeff, call value implement in baldwin, Wi. talk to mike brenner, he should work it all out for you, if not let me know, i live near spring valley and i know people who can!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thx, tony

/ Front Mount Snowblower 62 or 72? #16  
Get it with the 72" blower. It's not too heavy nor will you be lacking power an unable to use it. I have the 4240 with the front blower and rarely do I rev the motor up past 2000 rpm.

For example last spring we got a good dumping of wet spring snow. It was about 2" higher than the blower. You would think that this would be a real test of the engine HP, you'd be wrong. If I drove too fast I would just start pushing the snow. If I rev'd the motor up it would throw the snow an extra 10' feet or so and allow me to move slightly faster (very small difference in speed).

The simple fact is that the impeller can only fit so much snow. It's the limiting factor. All the extra HP in the world is not going to change that fact. So unless the 62" blower has a much smaller impeller you'll be fine and it looks like RAD uses the same size impeller.

My guess is Kubota is just using RAD's recommended HP ratings to size the blower. RAD is saying that it's 74" rear blowers recommended HP range is 30 to 45 while the 3540 has only 28 (with HST). But those numbers are a guideline for the worse case condition.

Even with my 4240 I have had dumpings of snow where I drive forward then stop while the blower clears itself out then move forward again. Like I said, only so much snow can go through the blower in a given amount of time when it's turning at speed.

/ Front Mount Snowblower 62 or 72? #17  
Get it with the 72" blower. It's not too heavy nor will you be lacking power an unable to use it. I have the 4240 with the front blower and rarely do I rev the motor up past 2000 rpm.

For example last spring we got a good dumping of wet spring snow. It was about 2" higher than the blower. You would think that this would be a real test of the engine HP, you'd be wrong. If I drove too fast I would just start pushing the snow. If I rev'd the motor up it would throw the snow an extra 10' feet or so and allow me to move slightly faster (very small difference in speed).

The simple fact is that the impeller can only fit so much snow. It's the limiting factor. All the extra HP in the world is not going to change that fact. So unless the 62" blower has a much smaller impeller you'll be fine and it looks like RAD uses the same size impeller.

My guess is Kubota is just using RAD's recommended HP ratings to size the blower. RAD is saying that it's 74" rear blowers recommended HP range is 30 to 45 while the 3540 has only 28 (with HST). But those numbers are a guideline for the worse case condition.

Even with my 4240 I have had dumpings of snow where I drive forward then stop while the blower clears itself out then move forward again. Like I said, only so much snow can go through the blower in a given amount of time when it's turning at speed.

You are spot on. I was blowing snow last year with the new tractor and the blower couldnt keep up, and all 50 somethign hp werent working. The blower works fine.

/ Front Mount Snowblower 62 or 72? #18  
I believe the bigger blower will work just fine and is what you want ...as long as your tractor is HST ...otherwise, if you can't fit a creeper gear, be prepared for clutch replacement(s), usually at the worst possible time.

/ Front Mount Snowblower 62 or 72?
I want to thank everyone who helped me with this, both on this thread and in private messages. With all of your assistance, I was able to make the case to the salesman, and after reviewing it, he acknowledged that you all are right.

To his credit, he was humble about it, and we are moving forward.

/ Front Mount Snowblower 62 or 72? #20  
That's what we're here for:thumbsup: