Front Mount Snowblower 62 or 72?

/ Front Mount Snowblower 62 or 72? #1  

jeffburton

Tractor
Kubota L3540
I am trying to finalize the purchase of a new tractor and a front mounted snowblower is very important to me. I have kind of settled on the L3540 (37/28 HP), but the snowblower recommended for it is 62". This does not cover the rear wheels, which I think is absurd. If that is the solution, I'll go elsewhere. I asked about the 72", but the dealer says it's too heavy, Kubota does not recommend it.

I'm wondering if that is really true. The Bobcat dealer is spec'ing a 72" front blower on a CT235 (35/26 HP), which has a little less horsepower than the L3540 .

I currently use a twelve year old 20HP JD with a 66" rear blower, which is WAY too big for the machine, and it works. So I guess I have a little experience with oversized snow removal equipment.

Anyone out there with real word experience on this?

/ Front Mount Snowblower 62 or 72? #2  
If Kubota makes a 72" front mount blower I would say that its OK to use otherwise they wouldn't sell it. He may not stock it and might be trying to steer you towards a unitt he has in stock. I say check the Kubota website to see if its made.

/ Front Mount Snowblower 62 or 72? #3  

How much wider is the wheelbase than 62"? I agree it's better to have it cover your tracks, but after the first pass it doesn't matter as much. Also 72" will be harder to fit and handle in tighter places. I stopped using my FEL to plow the paddock with because I was doing too much damage to fence posts and other things. I ended up using my 36" walk behind snow thrower around all the edges to avoid all the damage. Not sure what you're plowing, if it's just an open driveway probably doesn't matter and bigger is better.

/ Front Mount Snowblower 62 or 72?
I will be using this to plow my driveway.

Kubota has a 72" front blower. They just don't recommend it for anything less than the 4240.

I measured the width on a 3540 at the dealer and it was 70".

/ Front Mount Snowblower 62 or 72? #5  
It is not too heavy, the hydrailics on the sub-frame are designed to pick up both blowers. Kubota recommends the 62" snowblower due to the lower power of the L3540. As long as you are not blowing real high or heavy snow, you should be fine. If you do get into high or heavy snow, just slow down. Are you looking at HST+? This would match very well to snow blowing work. If you get the 72" and don't like it, let me know, I will buy it from you. Philip.

/ Front Mount Snowblower 62 or 72?
The dealer just called. His solution was to to put R4 tires on the tractor - which narrows the width down to just about the 62" blower (with extensions). I'm not happy with that solution as I want to mow my lawn with this machine.

/ Front Mount Snowblower 62 or 72? #7  
The dealer just called. His solution was to to put R4 tires on the tractor - which narrows the width down to just about the 62" blower (with extensions). I'm not happy with that solution as I want to mow my lawn with this machine.

I agree that's not a good solution for what you're doing. I had a tractor with R4s and I couldn't use it at all to mow for a few days after it rained, and had to be really careful even when it was dry. I'd stick with the turfs and find a different snow thrower solution. If the turfs are really 70" wide, that's probably too big a difference from a 62" thrower. You're in WI, you get real snow.

/ Front Mount Snowblower 62 or 72? #8  
I am trying to finalize the purchase of a new tractor and a front mounted snowblower is very important to me. I have kind of settled on the L3540 (37/28 HP), but the snowblower recommended for it is 62". This does not cover the rear wheels, which I think is absurd. If that is the solution, I'll go elsewhere. I asked about the 72", but the dealer says it's too heavy, Kubota does not recommend it.

I'm wondering if that is really true. The Bobcat dealer is spec'ing a 72" front blower on a CT235 (35/26 HP), which has a little less horsepower than the L3540 .

I currently use a twelve year old 20HP JD with a 66" rear blower, which is WAY too big for the machine, and it works. So I guess I have a little experience with oversized snow removal equipment.

If it were me and I was being jerked around this way-

I would invest in a front hitch kit from Pronovost which will have the reversing gearbox to let you use the snow caster you have for your current mule on the Kubota or purchase a wider new snow caster-preferably a Pronovost snow caster.

All it amounts to is going slowly on the first pass in deep snow and then you can make half passes if desired. I was told my new snow caster was too big for the JD that I bought but I reminded of a salesman that I ran a 36 inch single stage on an old original 12 horse hydro IH cub cader with Zero issues in deep snow. PFFFT!!!!!!

/ Front Mount Snowblower 62 or 72? #9  
Just be firm that you want the turfs AND the 72" blower. As has already been mentioned..... if it is working too hard, just slow your ground speed. I would also want the blower as wide, or wider than the width of my rear tires. Tell your salesman I said so. ;)

/ Front Mount Snowblower 62 or 72? #10  
I ran a Kubota 2782 (63 inch) front blower on a much smaller, less powerful Kubota 2410. The 3540 should handle a 72 inch blower in most conditions. Worst case is slow down for the first pass.