G1900 Diesel won't start.

/ G1900 Diesel won't start. #1  

moralem

My G1900 won't even turn over. I pulled the starter and applied external power and the solenoid and starter do what they are supposed to. Gear spins and is thrown forward to engage the flywheel. But when it is on the tractor it will only turn a bit and then stop...... I turned the crank several rotations by hand from the front of the motor and it does not bind up as if something is internally wrong. I checked the oil and it is dark with no water in it so I don't think overheated and locked up......When the starter is out of the tractor it operates freely when it is on the tractor it is as if the battery is dead and can't turn the engine over. I have tried a new battery with the same result. Do I have a bad starter when under load of the flywheel can't do its job or did I bind up the motor somehow......any help would be appreciated.

/ G1900 Diesel won't start. #2  
Bad field windings in starter

/ G1900 Diesel won't start. #3  
Jumper between your 12 v terminal at the starter directly to the solenoid connector. If your starter is okay, it will engage and turn over the engine. If it will not operate, then the starter is shot. Most likely you are having problems with the ignition switch and control box. If they are dropping too much voltage, you won't have enough current to engage the solenoid. Lots of G1800s and G1900s have this problem. Give the "hot wire" a try and then post back with results. Make sure your tractor's HST is in neutral range and the parking brake set before trying this. You don't want your tractor to start and suddenly move.

/ G1900 Diesel won't start.
I did hit the hot wire with a jump from my L2800 and the start tried to start but just wound up doing the same thing. So is it safe to assume the starter is shot and if so where can I find one that does not have be shipped from Japan. thanks.

/ G1900 Diesel won't start. #5  
Try this place for a starter that sells for $99 after you ship them the core ($129 without the core). There are others that sell them for around $300 too. The part number for the whole starter is 16871-63010. Use that to do a google search and try to find a supplier. BTW: Are you aware that Kubota sells individual parts of that starter so you can do repairs without replacing the whole thing? Check with your Kubota dealer for details.

Checked with the dealer and there are not rebuild parts that they carry so close to 300 dollars for an original. 200 plus for a remanufactured starter. I will check out the 99 dollar one. At least that is cheap enough if it is not the starter I won't be out too much money....

/ G1900 Diesel won't start. #7  
You said you jumpered from your L2800, but if you did that to the G1900's battery, you didn't prove a thing about the starter itself. You need to jumper from a battery directly to the starter as I've shown below. Put the black jumper on negative and clip it to the body of the starter or some other good solid metal ground on your tractor. Take the red lead and jumper that to positive on the battery and to the large terminal on your starter. Then take a small wire and jumper from the large terminal to the small terminal as shown in the illustration. That is the only way to test the starter for sure. If that makes the starter work, then your problem is a switch, bad connection, or the relay box on your tractor.

EDIT: If you want to do a quick check of your battery without an external battery, just jumper the small red wire as shown. That should make your starter spin if your internal battery is strong. That wire eliminates all the switches/relays and gives you direct hot wire connection.

Attachments

• 1-StarTest.jpg
    1-StarTest.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 918
Last edited:
Thanks for the illustration. I tried it the way you described pulled the L2800 battery out of the tractor set it to the side and hooked up the cables to it. I then grounded to the starter and placed the hot cable to the main terminal on the starter and then linked a small gauge wire from that post to the flat terminal on the solenoid. Off the tractor the starter worked the way that it is supposed to. But once hooked up to the tractor it attempted to spin but just bogged down and stopped all together. Again I checked to see if the engine would turn and I could turn it several revolutions. I also checked to see if the alternator was stuck which it was not. So with all that said is it safe to say the starter just doesn't have what it takes to turn the engine over. And can I assume that this bypass method would get me around bad switches or ignitions? I guess I just need to shell out for a new starter and see what happens.

/ G1900 Diesel won't start. #9  
Well, there you go. . . sometimes there's nothing to do but buy another starter. At least you know you've proven this one bad. You could check with a starter shop to see about rebuild, but you can probably buy one and send your core from an online source just as easy.