PTO oil seal gone.

/ PTO oil seal gone. #1  

2458n

Veteran Member
I used a chipper that had a slightly to long PTO shaft. Ran fine for days until I forgot and raised the 3-point hitch to high and crushed it tightly against the back of the tractor. This is on a 245dt. Does removing the four bolts that support the bracket on the tractors pto allow access to the seal and bearing that I have probably crushed? Cold and raining out tonight, any thoughts welcomed. Pto operating but leaking the trans fluid around shaft. Thanks.

/ PTO oil seal gone. #2  
I used a chipper that had a slightly to long PTO shaft. Ran fine for days until I forgot and raised the 3-point hitch to high and crushed it tightly against the back of the tractor. This is on a 245dt. Does removing the four bolts that support the bracket on the tractors pto allow access to the seal and bearing that I have probably crushed? Cold and raining out tonight, any thoughts welcomed. Pto operating but leaking the trans fluid around shaft. Thanks.

Hope it is just the seal. You might have damaged more than the seal if the pto was forced it.:confused:

/ PTO oil seal gone.
Was just the pto shaft seal, but very labor intensive. Recomend cutting down any pto shaft that may be too long . Spent two days replacing the seal which included splitting the tractor.

/ PTO oil seal gone. #4  
Was just the pto shaft seal, but very labor intensive. Recomend cutting down any pto shaft that may be too long . Spent two days replacing the seal which included splitting the tractor.

Dang, that's a bummer man. Glad you got it behind you and thanks for the heads-up.

/ PTO oil seal gone. #5  
When I had my PTO shaft made, the guy at the shop told me all kinds of horror stories about damage from misfit shafts. Sent me home to double check my measurements after I balked at some of his questions. They had some photos of failures on the wall that could be in Ripley's believe it or not.
Seems like a double kick in the giblets when the only way to fix a seal is split the tractor.