Veteran Member

Default PTO oil seal gone.

I used a chipper that had a slightly to long PTO shaft. Ran fine for days until I forgot and raised the 3-point hitch to high and crushed it tightly against the back of the tractor. This is on a 245dt. Does removing the four bolts that support the bracket on the tractors pto allow access to the seal and bearing that I have probably crushed? Cold and raining out tonight, any thoughts welcomed. Pto operating but leaking the trans fluid around shaft. Thanks.

Tractor
    B3200, L5740,

Default Re: PTO oil seal gone.

Quote Originally Posted by 2458n View Post
    I used a chipper that had a slightly to long PTO shaft. Ran fine for days until I forgot and raised the 3-point hitch to high and crushed it tightly against the back of the tractor. This is on a 245dt. Does removing the four bolts that support the bracket on the tractors pto allow access to the seal and bearing that I have probably crushed? Cold and raining out tonight, any thoughts welcomed. Pto operating but leaking the trans fluid around shaft. Thanks.
    Hope it is just the seal. You might have damaged more than the seal if the pto was forced it.
    L5740 LA854 loader
    L3130 LA723 loader sold
    B3200 LA504 loader
    B1550 sold
    B2620 sold
    B4200 sold
    F2680E
    GF1800
    Kubota RTV900
    JD 850D Gator sold
    JD F935 x 2 sold
    Case 590SM-2
    JD 310D TLB
    Ford 555D sold
    Gehl 602 excavator

Veteran Member

Was just the pto shaft seal, but very labor intensive. Recomend cutting down any pto shaft that may be too long . Spent two days replacing the seal which included splitting the tractor.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kubota BX2660

Quote Originally Posted by 2458n View Post
    Was just the pto shaft seal, but very labor intensive. Recomend cutting down any pto shaft that may be too long . Spent two days replacing the seal which included splitting the tractor.
    Dang, that's a bummer man. Glad you got it behind you and thanks for the heads-up.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    B2710

When I had my PTO shaft made, the guy at the shop told me all kinds of horror stories about damage from misfit shafts. Sent me home to double check my measurements after I balked at some of his questions. They had some photos of failures on the wall that could be in Ripley's believe it or not.
    Seems like a double kick in the giblets when the only way to fix a seal is split the tractor.
    Kubota B2710, New Holland CM274 front mower, Toro Zmaster ZTR, Ford 908 bush hog, New Idea manure spreader, Swisher trail mower