No Oil in Front Axle!!!! BX2660

/ No Oil in Front Axle!!!! BX2660 #1  

Danner

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2660
So, I am doing the 50 hour service and I pull the front axle fill plug/dip stick to check the oil. Dry as a bone. WTF! I shine a light in the hole and the axle shaft dry. There is a small amount of oil in the bottom of the casing, but it is nowhere near the bottom of the dipstick.

Yes, it is on a level surface, no, there are no signs a leakage.

Grrrrr.

Bought it new from Zimmerer Kubota in Fort Worth, they prepped and delivered it to me.

Question how much damage might have been done to it?

/ No Oil in Front Axle!!!! BX2660
Checked further.

There is 3/8" deep oil in the bottom center of the axle housing. The oil level is about 2" below the bottom of the dipstick.

Zimmerer Kubota, Fort Worth

/ No Oil in Front Axle!!!! BX2660 #3  
First, I am sorry hear this.
It sure sounds as if your dealer might have failed to top it off during final assembly for delivery. That's not a plus in his column.

When my BX was delivered, the driver took the time to show me all the operations and pulled all dipsticks to show me levels.

Now, I also just have to ask, you also did not check it for 50 hrs? Your manual states that we owners are to check the fluids with regularity. I can understand your assuming the dealer did his job, but even if he had, I can guarantee you that it would have been low after 5 hours of use. Very low. It is the nature these beasts. There are air pockets that the dealer prep cannot fill. It needs to be topped off after 5 hours use.

Again, very sorry to hear about this. It just shows how important it is to check those fluid levels.

/ No Oil in Front Axle!!!! BX2660 #4  
Checked further.

There is 3/8" deep oil in the bottom center of the axle housing. The oil level is about 2" below the bottom of the dipstick.

Zimmerer Kubota, Fort Worth

If it's still operable, and you have filled with gear lube, I doubt it is damaged. Use it and see but I'd bet it works just fine.

/ No Oil in Front Axle!!!! BX2660 #5  
What a bummer! I can't say what damage may have been done but if it was my tractor, I think I would fill it with UDT, drive it around a little then drain it through a paint strainer (both sides) and see what you catch. Then refill it with whatever you choose. I put 80W90 in mine. Also I would call everybody at Kubota that would answer the phone and demand to have the warranty extended, at least on the axle. Everybody makes a mistake but, ya know, we're not talking about a $795 Sears. These are great little tractors that cost as much as a small car and I don't think it's too much to expect the dealer to fulfill their end of the deal.

Good Luck,
Bob

First, I am sorry hear this.
It sure sounds as if your dealer might have failed to top it off during final assembly for delivery. That's not a plus in his column.

When my BX was delivered, the driver took the time to show me all the operations and pulled all dipsticks to show me levels.

Now, I also just have to ask, you also did not check it for 50 hrs? Your manual states that we owners are to check the fluids with regularity. I can understand your assuming the dealer did his job, but even if he had, I can guarantee you that it would have been low after 5 hours of use. Very low. It is the nature these beasts. There are air pockets that the dealer prep cannot fill. It needs to be topped off after 5 hours use.

Again, very sorry to hear about this. It just shows how important it is to check those fluid levels.

Thanks for the reply.

During the delivery walk-through, Steve Lee from the dealer pulled the orange plug and dipstick to show me where is was and how to check the level, he reinserted the plug, I didn't look for the oil mark on the dipstick myself, and assumed that he determined that the level was OK.

First service on the front axle is at 400 hours, so not the kind of thing that seemed at all urgent to me (like power steering on a car).

/ No Oil in Front Axle!!!! BX2660 #7  
I thought US purchased BX came with factory filled trans and axle :confused:
I know it's all drained before shipped over here.
It certainly will not have leaked or you'd have a right oily mess
as evidence. You need to register this with Kubota Corp CA because
there could be problems down the line for your warranty expectation.

What a bummer! I can't say what damage may have been done but if it was my tractor, I think I would fill it with UDT, drive it around a little then drain it through a paint strainer (both sides) and see what you catch. Then refill it with whatever you choose. I put 80W90 in mine. Also I would call everybody at Kubota that would answer the phone and demand to have the warranty extended, at least on the axle. Everybody makes a mistake but, ya know, we're not talking about a $795 Sears. These are great little tractors that cost as much as a small car and I don't think it's too much to expect the dealer to fulfill their end of the deal.

Good Luck,
Bob

Thanks for the reply. I'm not going to fill it just yet. I want to talk to them on Monday AM. I'm trying to decide if I demand an entire new tractor, or demand that they replace the front axle assembly. It will be one of those two options.

/ No Oil in Front Axle!!!! BX2660 #9  
I'm trying to decide if I demand an entire new tractor, or demand that they replace the front axle assembly

What???

That's stretching it...First of all, you did not check the level for 50 hours. I checked mine after a few hours and it was low, so I added some fluid. I don't think they would give you a new tractor (or replace the axle), especially if there is no apparent damage done...

/ No Oil in Front Axle!!!! BX2660 #10  
I checked mine when I got it, being paranoid DOES have it's good points. Still, it's something that should have been done by the dealer and obviously wasn't. I check mine now everytime I do a service, once it's full it stays that way unless you have a leak, which is easy enough to see.

Regardless of what anyone thinks, there IS damage already, how much and how it will affect the lifespan of the front axle is purely guesswork. Anything that's meant to have lubricant and is run without it will suffer some damage. There might have been a film of oil left on the gears, which will help somewhat.

I'd contact both the dealer and Kubota and see what they have to say. Until something actually fails there isn't a lot you can do except try to get them to extend the warranty on the axle at least. They may do that as a good-will gesture to keep you quiet, or they may simply say that it's lucky you caught the problem before any damage was done.

Sean