3-Point Hitch 3PH log splitter for BX2200

/ 3PH log splitter for BX2200 #1  

dennisgw

Silver Member
Tractor
BX 2200
Now that fall is almost here and the weather is cooler (MN) I decided to put together my Northern Hydraulic 3PH log splitter. It was on sale, with coupons, $509 (13 Ton version).... how could one go wrong? I am one of those one less engine to maintain person and I wasn't looking forward to hand splitting as I have been doing. Ordered 1/4" x 12 ft hoses from Surplus Center ($18), 2 ISO 7241 B female fittings ($8.32) from Discount Hyraulics and a couple of 1/2" to 1/4" adapters. I elected to connect hoses to FEL hydraulic block and just bungee it open. Assembly was not an issue, they have good directions. I did have to grind a little metal out of the valve support plate as it wouldn't allow full valve travel when assembled. I did have to add about a gallon of SUDT as it sucked down the level real quick. The 12 ft hoses are just the right length. Cycle time on the splitter is just right for me. Bi-directional splitting is definitely the way to go. Built a little dolly to hold the splitter from by scrap wood collection. No crushing of hoses or hitting the cylinder fitting with the cart. All in all I am impressed with its abilities.

Attachments

• IMG_1032.jpg
    IMG_1032.jpg
    328.7 KB · Views: 705
   / 3PH log splitter for BX2200 #3  
Nice looking unit. i like the bidirectional thing.

/ 3PH log splitter for BX2200 #4  
Your stand looks better than mine. I just supported the beam and it's a little tippy, so I may have to re-engineer it.

I routed the tractor hoses through the brackets and under the beam for a little more protection and a neater appearance.

split2.jpg

/ 3PH log splitter for BX2200 #5  
Yea I once had a girl friend with the bidirectional thing ,,,,,,,,lol

/ 3PH log splitter for BX2200 #6  
Nice set up - looks familiar. Did the same about 2 years ago. Also made a dolly but with a little different design. Here's a few pic's.

Attachments

• Powerhorse log splitter 003.JPG
    Powerhorse log splitter 003.JPG
    749.4 KB · Views: 536
  • Powerhorse log splitter 006.JPG
    Powerhorse log splitter 006.JPG
    730 KB · Views: 451
  • Powerhorse log splitter 004.JPG
    Powerhorse log splitter 004.JPG
    822.8 KB · Views: 543
   / 3PH log splitter for BX2200
CHD Your dolly looks very stable (wide stance). Different ways of skinning the proverbial cat. Question? Why did you reverse your hitch pins? Frame as is will work with CAT 1 on BX. Just curious.

/ 3PH log splitter for BX2200 #8  
CHD - If I'm seeing correctly, the splitter beam bottom edges rest on the angled boards on your stand?

I'm also curious about the reversed hitch pins, but I think I know the answer. On my 2320, this splitter pushed me over the edge to get a quick hitch, The pins are a little too wide and it was a major wrestling match to get the three point arms spread enough to go over the pins. I have to be centered pretty well to use the quick hitch. (Not a problem of course, since I wheel the splitter on it's stand up to the tractor.)

/ 3PH log splitter for BX2200 #9  
I love mine!!! Has produced 9 cord over the last 2 years with out a problem!!

Attachments

• Picture 037.jpg
    Picture 037.jpg
    343.1 KB · Views: 550
   / 3PH log splitter for BX2200 #10  
CHD Your dolly looks very stable (wide stance). Different ways of skinning the proverbial cat. Question? Why did you reverse your hitch pins? Frame as is will work with CAT 1 on BX. Just curious.

Reversed the pins just so I didn't have to open the stabilzers all the way. Just seemed like a pain to have to unscrew them almost all the way out, plus it was a close call getting the hitch to open wide enough so I just reversed the pins.

CHD - If I'm seeing correctly, the splitter beam bottom edges rest on the angled boards on your stand?

Yes the beam rests in the crotch of the X so the hoses don't get pinched. It may look like the table extensions hold the weight, but they don't, just the beam.