BX Alternate lighting questions

/ BX Alternate lighting questions #1  

Tollster

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota, BX23
I am looking to install some flood or fog lamps on my BX 23. I performed the alternator upgrade, but lack math skills on amperage draw and such. I feel sure I want to place them under the top horizontal ROPS bar. I am also sure I want them to work independent of the headlamps. So with these considerations I ahve the following questions:

1: Can I run indendent of the headlamps if I use the existing pigtail under the seat? If so, is that where I would place the relay?
If not, does the bx 23 have a fuse panel that would allow me to wire a relay in on a seperate fuse?

2: Any ideas on a separate waterproof switch? Marine switch possibly?

3: Led's or Halogens? We made our first land purchase and I wish to do some clearing, its on the side of a mountian, somewhat like a knob with a small platau. It has ledges and is pretty rocky. So the possibility of going belly up is there. Its also dense woods.

I was kicking these ideas around.
http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/128mmLEDLamp

Amazon.com: HELLA H15986021 Rubber Housing 4.75" Halogen Work Lamp: Automotive

Hella 500 Light Kit, Hella 500 Lights

ANy ideas on the amount of output need to work safely, versus amperage draw. I choose the flood/fogs due to the wide angle and slow pace of the tractor, I am not sure about LED lights and have a very hard time comparing apples and apples...as in Lumins equals how many watts?

Thank you

/ BX Alternate lighting questions #2  
There is a thread some where using HID lighting and you can find HID site by googling HID lighting.

An most of them can only use only one HID light only as the amperage draw is high.

On the Bigger tractors of course they have a high output alternator that can do this with multiple lights.

/ BX Alternate lighting questions #4  
Hi I have run a pair of harbor Freight 55 watt driving lights plus the $60 kub rear worklight and a yellow flasher off pig tail with upgraded alt off 10? amp panel fuse for 5+ yrs with no prob at once. ymmv Flasher/rops light come on when running kub light asneeded/nite snow

Pat R

Last edited:
   / BX Alternate lighting questions #6  
If you go LED you will need at least 1000 lumens to give decent lighting.

/ BX Alternate lighting questions #7  
The BX standard 15 AMP alternator will handle 2 55 watt lights and give you 2 360 degree overlaping circles of light all the way around the tractor if mounted and wired correctly .

/ BX Alternate lighting questions #8  
Make sure you get a flood type light, a fog light might work well also. I added lights to my BX and the lights I added project out to far and don't light the area up near the tractor very well.

/ BX Alternate lighting questions #9  
I just added 3 lights(2 front & 1 rear flood) to my BX2350.
I'm sure my way isn't the best (or correct) way to do it, but here's what I did.
got 2 round trapezoid tractor lights to mount to the ROPs and 1 rectangular flood for the back. I ordered mounting brackets from some place in CA. Then I ran an inline fuse from the aux. pigtail wire in the back of the machine to a 30 amp led switch(mounted on the back of the tractor) The switch is the relay. when the tractor is running you can turn the lights on without using the front head lights. It's worked great. great visibility at night. The rear light is mounted where the slow moving vehicle sign should be. Oh yeah, I also drilled the ROP and ran the wires in them for clean look.