Chains B7100 Front Chains

/ B7100 Front Chains #1  

MLD

Tractor
Kubota B7100
I Have decided to put chains on the front of my B7100. I've gone back in the archives and reviewed all I could find. For my tractor, size of tires and budget I think they will work fine. So when looking for the size on my old and worn turfs, barely legible, I think I found 20.9 X 8.0 - 10 as a tire size. I went to tractorchain.com and some others and found 20 X 8 10 but no 20.9. Is this .9 difference a deal breaker or just a little extra tightening of the chain?

I like the rubber style chains but they are twice as much. Is there a benefit worth the price? Ease of install or more clearance? I'll be plowing both gravel and tar.

One more question. I have a 48" gravely plow from a walk behind that seems to want to fit inside the FEL has anyone married these two with success? And is it worth the time and effort to use a plow instead of just the FEL as is?

Thank you

MLD

/ B7100 Front Chains #2  
Chains are generally easy to modify lengthwise.

A plow moves snow much quicker than a bucket and stacks the snow better. Is 48" wider than the rear wheels? I have a bent up Snowbear cheapy plow that I'm going to modify for my B6100. My Jeep also has a plow, it is the primary snow mover. Huge time saver but it's good to have seat time on the tractor unless it's frigid out.

/ B7100 Front Chains
Kubotain NH, thank you for your reply. I assume the 20.9 is length of some sort. So with a little tightening it will work. I'm still going to call my friends at Steve And Dave's to get their input. Well abuse first then input is usually the course with those mechanical know it alls.

The plow is 48" wider than the rear wheels I'll have to get some welding done to make it work so it may not happen this year.

Does the NH in your handle mean you're from New Hampshire? Coming to the Deerfield Fair? Also you may want to check out The Deerfield Arts Tour coming up on October 22nd and 23rd. Its an open studio tour. My studio will be part I'm posting sample on my website mikedriscollstudios.com look for Arts Tour 2011

Thanks again for your reply

MLD

/ B7100 Front Chains #4  
Yep, I live near Nashua. As for the fair, doubtful. I go maybe once every decade which is usually enough for me and my wife. Neat illustrations though, your name looks familiar from somewhere but I cannot recall where. Local magazine or something maybe? Could be another local website I happened upon.

/ B7100 Front Chains #5  
So when looking for the size on my old and worn turfs, barely legible, I think I found 20.9 X 8.0 - 10 as a tire size. I went to tractorchain.com and some others and found 20 X 8 10 but no 20.9. Is this .9 difference a deal breaker or just a little extra tightening of the chain?

I'll bet the 20.9 is actually 20.5. That was the OEM spec size.

/ B7100 Front Chains #6  
I would think that with a little extra tightening they will work just fine, just make VERY sure that there is clearance on the inside of the wheel. You really don't want those chains snagging on the tie rod ends.

I know there will be those who will tell you not to put chains on the front wheels for whatever reasons that they will have but I have put front chains on for the past couple of seasons and I can tell you that the difference in traction is simply amazing. I have a BX2350 and I have rear plus front weights, the rear wheel weights are cast iron which I made the patterns for and had cast at the local foundry and #in at 225#'s a side, the front weight is lead and weighs around 225#'s and is bolted to the front bumper.

I haven't found the snow drift yet that I haven't been able to push my rear mount blower into and through.

Attachments

• front chains 003.jpg
    front chains 003.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 146
  • wheel weights 001.jpg
    wheel weights 001.jpg
    648.9 KB · Views: 200
  • lead front 005.jpg
    lead front 005.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 177