12 volt heater

/ 12 volt heater #1  

mlange2009

Bronze Member
Hello,so i'm building a cab for my bx2660 think it will turn out pretty good,i'm one of those guys that just cant put out over 4 grand for a cab,but hate the cold,so any way i want to put in a 12 volt heater,but want one that will actually work any ideas?? also want a front wiper,is ther a good kit out there?? thanks

/ 12 volt heater #2  
I rather doubt that your alternator would have enough output to do a heater.

/ 12 volt heater #3  
the car style portable 12v heaters are usually 200-300w.. that equates to 17-25a

that's a big load for what they normally put in for a tractor charge system.

what kind / capacity alt ya got?

/ 12 volt heater #4  
I bought a heater for my tractor once I installed a cab. Its a 12V direct wired ceramic heater with fan. Specs say heating element is 300 watt, draws 22-28 amps, Less than 35A pulse start current. I direct wired it to the battery with a HD 30A toggle switch in the red hot lead. I works very well in winter keeping the windshield clear and me warm enough so I don't need to wear gloves to plow snow. Note: If you forget to add this toggle you may forget its on and it will kill your battery. The brand name on mine is RoadPro model RPSL-681 available thru lots of sites.

Bought my cab thru the link below (rjpartsco). I got the Safety glass window option. They also sell wiper kits but I did not opt for it.
RJ Parts Co - Buy Gator Blades, Mower Blades, Cab Enclosures, Worx Products

According to tractordata the bx2660has a 40A charging system. If the heater is connected to the battery the charging system should be enough to handle the load.

/ 12 volt heater
thanks guys the roadpro 681 has a 15 amp rating so i should be go to go with having a 40 amp alt

/ 12 volt heater #6  
I installed a heater that pipes into my radiator line on my BX2660 and stay warm on days that are -40c

/ 12 volt heater #7  
thanks guys the roadpro 681 has a 15 amp rating so i should be go to go with having a 40 amp alt

yep.. 40a alt and you could run a 300w heater plus the usual stuff a tractor should need and be fine unless you have a TON of lamps.

soundguy

/ 12 volt heater #8  
Ive seen small elect ones in JCWhitney catalog a few years ago, but i agree on splicing into the radiator hose instead. It would be east to add a heating radiator and fan to the mix.

/ 12 volt heater #9  
please post some pics along the way. I am thinking of building a cab also. I cannot afford to buy one- $$$. I also was looking at the 12volt heater systems. Any information you can post would be a great help. Jeff

/ 12 volt heater #10  
Does anyone know the output at specific RPM's of tractor alternators. Is an alternator that puts out 30 amps needing the engine to be at 2200 rpm to produce it?

If you spend your time at 1100 RPM will it only be producing 15 amps?