HST pedals: rocker or separate?

/ HST pedals: rocker or separate? #1  

chelydra

Silver Member
Tractor
Ditch Witch
Been looking at Kubotas as a possible downsize from my Kioti CK20 TLB. (The Kioti is wonderful, and I'd like to keep it forever. But it's too big for my current needs, and a smaller machine would be more useful now.) Don't need the BH anymore, so just considering FEL and snowblower.

I'm mainly considering the JD 1026R, which has the advantage (for me) of a narrow 47" blower; or the smaller Kubotas - mainly the BX1860, BX2360 or B2320. Went to an excellent local dealer yesterday for a look. They're all a bit tight for a large guy, seemed well-made except for the dashboard of the BX series, and have suitable specs (except price) for my needs.

One thing I didn't understand, though, is that the HST pedal is not made to be rocked. I have big feet, and could actually bridge the two pedals - barely. Dealer said that it shouldn't be used that way. I do a lot of delicate loader work, inching back and forth. Seems like having to swap pedals dozens of times would be inconvenient.

What do users say? Also, any idea why they did this? Perhaps to prevent people jamming the machine from forward to backward when moving quickly? (I'm always gentle on reversing direction.)

Thanks for your thoughts. General comments on the models here are very helpful.

-chelydra

/ HST pedals: rocker or separate? #2  
I know exactly what you mean, I have the "treadle pedal" and love it. and the 2 pedal system is not as fast and responsive as the single pedal, ( I have 2 pedals on my JD mower) BUT, we are in the minority by a wide margin. It seems most people prefer the 2 pedal system, and in fact many "hate" the single treadle pedal. I love it just for the reason you stated, the ability to instantly change direction when grading or doing small repetitave movements like operating near an embankment, you can bet my foot is on top of the treadle pedal for an instant direction change!. When traveling longer distance to rest my foot, the foot comes off the pedal and the heel goes on the floor and toe on the L extension part of the pedal. Good luck and let us know how you come out.

James K0UA

/ HST pedals: rocker or separate?
... It seems most people prefer the 2 pedal system, and in fact many "hate" the single treadle pedal....
James K0UA

OK, now I'm really curious! What is it that people prefer about the twin pedals, and dislike about the rocker? Maybe I'm missing something.

/ HST pedals: rocker or separate? #4  
Kioti will hopefully have a subcompact for next spring. Just letting you know. It is the former NH Boomer sub..

/ HST pedals: rocker or separate? #5  
There is no general agreement about which kind of pedal setup is best. About half the HST owners like the rocker style pedal and half like the twin pedal setup. The manufacturers of one style promote it as better than the other style and vice versa. In the end it boils down to a matter of personal preference.

KU0A, I'm not sure us treadle guys are in the minority. Kubota sells at least 50% of the compact tractors in the US, and uses the treadle style. I would agree many in the "hate the treadle" camp can be pretty vocal regarding their preferences, but if there were a real groundswell of demand for the 2 pedal setup to the point of hurting sales, I'd bet Kubota would change in a New York minute. There are plenty of companies out there that are almost guaranteed to make dumb decisions about key product design features, but Kubota is pretty good at getting it right.

But it is a love it or hate it sort of thing, and some of the other brands have been smart enough to realize having the other design brings buyers who don't like the Kubota-style treadle into their showrooms.

I'm glad we get to make such choices. Having all the manufacturers selling essentially the same product isn't good for anyone.

/ HST pedals: rocker or separate? #6  
There is no general agreement about which kind of pedal setup is best. About half the HST owners like the rocker style pedal and half like the twin pedal setup. The manufacturers of one style promote it as better than the other style and vice versa. In the end it boils down to a matter of personal preference.

KU0A, I'm not sure us treadle guys are in the minority. Kubota sells at least 50% of the compact tractors in the US, and uses the treadle style. I would agree many in the "hate the treadle" camp can be pretty vocal regarding their preferences, but if there were a real groundswell of demand for the 2 pedal setup to the point of hurting sales, I'd bet Kubota would change in a New York minute. There are plenty of companies out there that are almost guaranteed to make dumb decisions about key product design features, but Kubota is pretty good at getting it right.

But it is a love it or hate it sort of thing, and some of the other brands have been smart enough to realize having the other design brings buyers who don't like the Kubota-style treadle into their showrooms.

I'm glad we get to make such choices. Having all the manufacturers selling essentially the same product isn't good for anyone.

Good points, it is just I have seen several posts on here that guys have said they really dislike the treadle pedal idea. I would think that maybe if you had arthritis in your ankle it could be a problem.. I have it in my knees (especially the left one, no more clutch for me, thank you!) but the ankle works well. Each to his own, and probably if I used the 2 pedal system for a while on a tractor, I would get used to it just fine.

James K0UA

/ HST pedals: rocker or separate? #7  
OK, now I'm really curious! What is it that people prefer about the twin pedals, and dislike about the rocker? Maybe I'm missing something.

I've used both. I find that when I use a rocker my foot's not comfortable with the toe tipped forward for very long, so I end up putting my heel on the front edge of the rocker so it's just the weight of my leg keeping the pedal down. So I end up moving my foot when I want to backup anyway. I agree that if you're just doing loader work the rocker is probably a little nicer.

I rented a machine called a Terramite a few times, it had a rocker . It's probably an anomoly because it was the biggest piece of junk I've ever used, but I found that the bouncing of the machine on rough ground caused my foot to bounce on the rocker in such a way that made the machine jump forward and backward like a bucking bronco. I've not experienced that problem with better equipment.

/ HST pedals: rocker or separate? #8  
We have now put about 300 hours on an L5030hst, and are completely happy with the Kubota treadle design (albeit not the latest version); it works VERY well.

Another important thing to consider when comparing brands; there is FAR less plastic in the Kubotas than in the competitor's models.

In fact, some of the recent JD models we have had a chance to check out seemed shockingly "light duty" when it came to cowl and fender components...

We have a small JD machine to use as a rough comparison- that plastic does crack and degrade over time; steel is better!

/ HST pedals: rocker or separate? #9  
The BX was pretty easy to use. The forward and reverse on the B2320 are farther apart and you do have to reach, a bit, with your heal for it. I have a small boot size. A guy with size 13 wouldn't have my issue, I suspect.

I say that only because both were listed in your "look over" list.

I am so used to Kubota's layout, I no longer give any of it a second thought. Doesn't help you decide which is better/worse. I'm equally sure I would have adjusted to the two peddle system equally well. I just don't have any experience with it. My lawn tractor uses a "slide stick", which I don't find as easy to use, but I don't have any problems doing so.

Kubota, LS (and all their clones), Kioti (and all the clones) use the rocker style. Together, that a whole bunch of rocker style HSTs out there.

So, I got nothing, essentially. :laughing::laughing:

/ HST pedals: rocker or separate? #10  
If you're a bit too quick with the footwork on a
rocker , you can give the HST a bit of grief . Seperates will slow that
trait down a little