BX attachment question plus

/ BX attachment question plus #1  

check 6

Gold Member
Tractor
L 3560, 008-3 excavator ZD 1211 mower
I have touched on this before but here goes again. For those with BX 1860 or 2360 tractors, do you wish you had gotten a BX 25 instead? Also for those that do have a BX 25 how often and how useful is the back hoe. Reason for the questions is I have some need for a small back hoe to avoid using a shovel an pick with my back, but in my reading, the conclusion is that to be affective on the small tractors you need a sub-frame mounted unit such as on the BX 25 and not an aftermarket three point hitch mounted unit. Also doing an add on would involve re-plumbing the hydraulics. Appreciate the responses.

Currently have a BX2360 with front loader and three point mounted 50 gal sprayer, great attachment and qualifies as counterweight to the front loader.

/ BX attachment question plus #2  
I bought a BX24 just so I could get the backhoe. Have I used it enough to justify the cost? Probably not, but I do like having the option. I live on a small wooded acreage and have used it to dig up a couple stumps, hold up a tree while I cut it into furnace lengths, and as a counterweight for the loader. I am fortunate to be married to a lady that agrees with the philosophy of make it hurt once. That is, I was better off buying the loader, backhoe and mower all at once rather than come back in a year wanting more attachments. You could get a lot of rental time for the cost of a backhoe, but having one around opens up more possibilities. Get the BX25 and backhoe.

Take Care,
Doug in SW IA

/ BX attachment question plus #3  
I have touched on this before but here goes again. For those with BX 1860 or 2360 tractors,
1* do you wish you had gotten a BX 25 instead? Also for those that do have a BX 25 how often and how useful is the back hoe.
2*Reason for the questions is I have some need for a small back hoe to avoid using a shovel an pick with my back,
3* but in my reading, the conclusion is that to be affective on the small tractors you need a sub-frame mounted unit such as on the BX 25 and not an aftermarket three point hitch mounted unit.
4*Also doing an add on would involve re-plumbing the hydraulics. Appreciate the responses.
5*Currently have a BX2360 with front loader and three point mounted 50 gal sprayer, great attachment and qualifies as counterweight to the front loader.
1*I knew it would be a mistake if I got a BX without a BH. so I went with the one with a BH.
I have thanked myself time after time after time for doing so .
2*Then get a BH.
3*Stay away from a 3 point BH.
4*You could add a woods BH to your BX2360.
5*It may be cheaper to trade your BX2360.for a BX25 instead of trying to add a BH to your BX2360 .

/ BX attachment question plus
1*I knew it would be a mistake if I got a BX without a BH. so I went with the one with a BH.
I have thanked myself time after time after time for doing so .
2*Then get a BH.
3*Stay away from a 3 point BH.
4*You could add a woods BH to your BX2360.
5*It may be cheaper to trade your BX2360.for a BX25 instead of trying to add a BH to your BX2360 .

Yes, should have gone with the BX 25 a year ago when I got the BX2360, don't get me wrong the BX 2360 is a great tractor.

Looked into a woods but the local dealer does not sell them and there may be a tractor warranty issue if I put one on.

My local dealer has made me a very fair trade in offer especially considering the economy as small tractors are not selling that well around here.

All things considered trading for the BX25 which is already plumbed and also has the "folding" ROPS is probably the right choice. I negotiated and I will keep my sprayer as well as switching my turf tires and my front bucket. Why the front bucket, you ask, well i had chain hooks welded on it and don't need to spend that money twice. .... need to learn to weld, it is on my bucket list. Keep the comments coming

Honestly at my age, I don't know how much I will use the back hoe but I want one and that is a privilege of retirement

Remember growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional and those TONKA toys of our youth ( for those of you approaching or over 70) have grown to big boy toys from Kubota

/ BX attachment question plus #5  
Hi God this hurts me agree with LB on points 3-5. 3pt hitch hookup not good stress point. Cost more to retrofit now. Don't use my bx-23 hoe much but sitting/ready on dolly at 5 min notice kinda like money in bank.

PR

/ BX attachment question plus #6  
We got the BX25 over the 2660 for that one reason...The BH. We wanted to maybe get one down the road, but when we found out you had the buy the whole package at once, we went for it..Oh well...:D

About use, the BH got a lot of use when we first got it with digging up a bunch of stumps and all. It does not get as much use today, but those times you need to dig up something, nothing beats it. That along with a ongoing bamboo removal project helped us justify the cost...

/ BX attachment question plus #7  
Never regretted getting BH. Use mostly for trees/bushes/rocks, but have been known to substitute for shovel...:)

How much use you will get depends a lot on your property and scope of projects...regardless, hydraulic power is great substitute for energy and stamina...which I have less of these days...

/ BX attachment question plus #8  
I got a BX-25 this year, only have about 13 hours on it. Reason I bought a version with the backhoe is that I have to redo 3 culverts on the property, both moving the tiles and reshaping the culverts themselves. At least that my was thought at the time...

I've dug one stump out with it so far but here's where I've really made a bunch of money by getting the 'hoe. My back property line is full of honeysuckle, pine, cedar and sassafras trees and the previous owner considered that his private dump. I've spent more time using the BH to pull/rake/pick up stuff/junk/crap out of the treeline so that I can sort through it and clean it up. When you come upon a quarter roll of 6x6 reinforcing wire with a 3" honeysuckle growing through it, the BH makes short work of both! ;)

In other words, get a backhoe and then get an aftermarket thumb... Search some of the old threads, both Bro-Tek and Extreme Metals make one that will fit a BX. I won't delve into that argument/discussion, but I've got one of 'em mentioned above and it is AWESOME! :D I can put an old lawn mower tire in a Herbie-the-Curbie with the best of 'em!! :dance1:

/ BX attachment question plus #9  
I bought the BX25 2 years ago, I looked at the B's as well as the other BX models. Glad I purchased the 25, do I use the BH every day.....no but I'm sure glad its there. I've been digging out appx. 500' of fence row with another 500' to go, lots of honeysuckle I couldn't imagine digging it by hand :thumbsup:. Planted 15 trees and dug a 75' trench for drainage. Haven't looked back!

/ BX attachment question plus #10  
I started building my home and landscaping my 5 acres of hillside, gullied, some trees and rocky property about eight years ago.
Started with a BX2200 and with Barlows being my local dealer I've traded up and down in size several times . I to lusted for a BH but felt I could never justify the additional cost. After doing the up and down in size and completing a bunch of different projects I felt I had a handle on what I need Kubota wise to fulfill my current and mostly expected needs. I also have some flat rental property 2 miles past Barlows on the same Hwy that has 6 septic tanks.
My conclusion of my final needs last year was a BX25 instead of the year old BX2660. I had already bought a F2680 for mowing the flat rental property. I traded the year old B3200 for a F3080 4wd for mowing my home hillside property and have since added a B2320 (first and last geared tractor) for tilling, plowing, boxblading, bush hogging and overseeding.
I used the BX25 BH yesterday to pull some big rocks away from the side of the garage where I'm now building an 8' x 12' playhouse with a Fort on top for my Grands. Also used the RTV1140 to move wood from truck to building site. I use the BX25 more than I've ever used any other tractor many times over when the mowing chores are taken out of the equation.
Have I got my moneys worth, yes. In back savings and instant availabilty for me, my Brother next door and my Nephew down the street. I set out 17 trees last year from Lowes Tree Clearance because I had the BH. I move Decorative Grasses and plants frequently since the BH will pop them out of the ground and even hold them while I drive to the new location, drop the Grasses (plants) dig a new hole, swipe the grasses over to the new hole and then pull the dirt back around them and then get off the tractor and step on the dirt and then take off.
Me rent a BH for small monthly projects, never happen. Rent a BH for a full day job of BHing, maybe. Now I don't have to decide that, I have a BH not bothering me or anyone else sitting up in my tractor building waiting for me or my family or maybe some times even neighbors to come up with a need.
Until I got the BH I never realized the value or possible usages of the extending bucket to reach way, way out to grab some thing and move it toward me, away from me and side to side.
If I'd gotten a BH earlier I probably wouldn't have bought 13 different Kubotas from Barlows........maybe.......Aww who knows.:laughing:
TRADE IS WHAT I SAY AND NEVER LOOK BACK. SPEND THAT MONEY EACH MONTH AND MAKE THAT PAYMENT TO KUBOTA. JUST A FEW DOLLARS MORE A MONTH.:thumbsup:
Now, do you know how I feel about it? :D