Right size jack and jack stands for a Kubota M7040

/ Right size jack and jack stands for a Kubota M7040
The most basic use of a jack that I had in mind was to be able to jack one of the rear tires up if they sprung a leak so that I could rotate the valve stem to the top and take the pressure off the tire.

My tires will be filled with liquid soon enough and I imagine this can't be uncommon.

I can't see how you would do this without a jack.

Other places I have used a jack on my now traded in L3400 was to jack one or the other side of the front axle to fully drain the axle fluid.

Any suggestions on a jack specifically for this sort of occasional use? I might have to jack it up in the field if it sprung a leak.

I just would not want to go looking for a jack when I needed it.

/ Right size jack and jack stands for a Kubota M7040 #12  
If your filled rear tire springs a serious leak then my advice is to call a mobile tire repair service and have them repair and change it out. You can see what kind of jack they use.

Unless you live in a thorny area or had your L3400 get flats you likely will never need a jack. A tubeless tire repair kit can be used while the tire is still mounted.

Filled tires are a nightmare to work with if you don't have another tractor or a forklift to remove and reinstall.

The weight of a M7040, especially with filled tires, will likely drive a jack into the ground when trying a field repair. A piece of 4x12 header 4 feet long under the jack may help but it would still be unstable given the height off the ground of the rear axle.

To drain the fluids on the front axle at 50 hrs. and then every 600 hrs. you can use the FEL bucket to lift the articulating axle and just tip it one way and then the other. It is not really necessary as the drain plugs are quite low on the axle.

Sorry to be so dissuading but this is just from my experiences.

/ Right size jack and jack stands for a Kubota M7040 #13  
Another option, for in the field use, is a Hi-lift jack (aka handy man jack.) I use them all the time around the farm and they work great for jacking up an axle on the tractor to change a tire. The only drawback is they are terribly dangerous and unpredictable. Still, probably the most used jack around our farm. Just have to be sure once you jack something up you immediately put a stand or blocking under it. Those hi-lift's have a nasty tendency to slide out from under what you are jacking up.:confused2:

In the shop definitely go with either a long frame floor jack or a bottle jack as I mentioned previously.

/ Right size jack and jack stands for a Kubota M7040 #14  
We have jacked a tractor the size of a 7040 up in the field and elsewhere for repairs, but now do as gwdixon and call the tire company to come out.

A front tire can be handled without any problems, but we decided the heavy rear tires are just not worth the effort and risk.

/ Right size jack and jack stands for a Kubota M7040
I have a good tire guy who ballasted my L3400 with CaCl2 and tubes. He's fixed two leaks on it as well. No idea where the leaks came from - the place is very very clean. They did happen though.

The only problem with my tire guy is that both times I had a leak, it was a weekend and I wasn't able to get a hold of him those weekends as he was out on a camping trip.

I'd hate to needlessly spill WWF over the weekend if I had to wait.

More than anything it seems like I need to keep a repair/plug kit around and familiarize myself with how to use it.

/ Right size jack and jack stands for a Kubota M7040 #16  
What are you going to use jack stands for? There is plenty of clearance to crawl around under the tractor for routine servicing.

The front axle can be lifted off of the ground with the bucket if you have a FEL.

I've used the loader as a "jack" long enough to put jackstands under the tractor (I use the front weight bracket for the jackstands), but depending on the tractor hydraulics isn't a good idea...