Snow Snow removal question

/ Snow removal question #1  

deputydog21

Tractor
kubota bx1860
I've been using a Wheel Horse 312-8 with chains and front blade for snow removal and it has done well until last year when my driveway was sealed. The sealer had no aggregate in it and I had a really hard time getting up my driveway as it would freeze and turn into a sheet of ice.

With this, and the fact my Wheel Horse is 22 years old, I am getting a Kubota BX 1860 with a 60" front blade that I can operate from the seat. I will also put chains on it and liquid in the tires.

My driveway is asphalt, about a 1/10 of a mile, up hill all the way.

Any observations on this method of snow removal? I haver not considered a blower because I have trees and banks on both sides of my driveway.

Thanks!

/ Snow removal question #2  
If you have 'people' do your driveway, they usually don't get the 'gritty' sealer, they use the bulk cheap stuff. You can always recoat the drive with the good gritty stuff. [ not really an answer to your question, but it is a SLOW rainy day up here in Michigan.... ] :)

/ Snow removal question #3  
I've been using a Wheel Horse 312-8 with chains and front blade for snow removal and it has done well until last year when my driveway was sealed. The sealer had no aggregate in it and I had a really hard time getting up my driveway as it would freeze and turn into a sheet of ice.

With this, and the fact my Wheel Horse is 22 years old, I am getting a Kubota BX 1860 with a 60" front blade that I can operate from the seat. I will also put chains on it and liquid in the tires.

Any observations on this method of snow removal? I haver not considered a blower because I have trees and banks on both sides of my driveway.

Thanks!

You can always cast the snow forward to the point where you can cast it off to the side if desired.

What is done in most cases is sand is spread on the sealer when it is spread but you can spread sand during the winter if desired.

You may want to use a leaf blower or lawn sweeper to clean it up in the spring if desired or simply let the rain wash it away.

The use of a snow caster will eliminate build up of snow banks. The snow casters have plenty of power to cast the snow through the trees and over the banks.

/ Snow removal question #4  
Regardless of your driveway restrictions, you won't regret a blower.

With a blade you are pushing everything that is in front of you.

/ Snow removal question #5  
deputydog21 said:

Thanks!
Seems that to make traction your friend with a tractor, is weight.

Is it in your budget to add weight to the back, rear blade or a nice heavy box blade?

/ Snow removal question #6  
I have 25 feet of concrete and then 140 feet of asphalt. I used chains on my little snow blower once, but have been afraid to any more than that. I worry that the chains will tear up the pavement. I will be using my BX2230 this winter w/ just the turf tires. I know there are a lot of guys that use chains here, but how many of them are on pavement?

/ Snow removal question #7  
Just a bit north of you Rayda. You don't need chains with turf tires. I have BX2200 with 2750 blower. Have done 8 years on pavement and this year will be on concrete. 1st year I tried FEL only.......... too long, pain to move and pile, scratched up pavement so got the blower the next year. ONE change that I did however was to replace the 2750 skid plates with a pair of swiveling wheel (5" dia) so that I wouldn't gouge the pavement. Works well. Will see what happens on new concrete. Blower is the only way to go. Points the right direction, tosses it way away and there are no piles to block vision. I usually do things in 2 wheel drive and if I start slipping (usually uphill on the driveway) I just kick it into 4 wheel and on I ago. We got 50+ inches last winter. Might be more fun for the folks that get freezing rain, etc that could mess up the base. But with dry Minnesota snow, no issues with turfs.

/ Snow removal question #8  
I am getting a Kubota BX 1860 with a 60" front blade that I can operate from the seat.
*I will also put chains on it and liquid in the tires.I don't need chains or liquid in the tires.
I don't need chains or liquid in the tires on this.
~~~

BX1500 with 60 inch Hyd lift and angle front blade.

/ Snow removal question #9  
Here is the setup I have. I have 1/2 mile+ driveway, mostly level, but a blade is impractical. You will never regret a blower, although a bit expensive, but nothing stops it. I bought chains when I got the tractor in '02, but have never used them - still new in the bag. With 4WD only glaze ice would stop me.

paul

Attachments

• Kubota.JPG
    Kubota.JPG
    383 KB · Views: 385
   / Snow removal question #10  
dennisgw said:
so got the blower the next year. ONE change that I did however was to replace the 2750 skid plates with a pair of swiveling wheel (5" dia) so that I wouldn't gouge the pavement. Works well. rain, etc that could mess up the base.

Can you provide pictures and the source of the swiveling wheels?