PHD recommendation?

/ PHD recommendation? #1  

Jeff F.

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota BX 2660 and B3200
I am looking at purchasing a post hole digger for my BX2660. I wanted to know opinions on the Everything Attachments PHD compact series. I almost ordered the ETA-compact-9, but thought I should check with the experts here first.

Is the 9 inch auger a good all around size or should I go with the 12 inch? I will be using it to put it fence posts and some 4x4s for a lean to this fall and who knows what in the future. My property has about one foot of topsoil, 8 inches of small stone/sand and then clay. Any recommendations are appreciated.

Thanks Jeff

/ PHD recommendation? #2  
For round fence posts I have a 9" auger and a 12" auger. I use the 9" auger for the 4" diameter round posts and the 12" auger for the 7" diameter corner posts. This gives me a little room to adjust the the post if my hole is a little out of line but not so big that I have to do a lot of tamping with the spud bar.

/ PHD recommendation? #3  
I can't speak on the Everything Attachments version, I have a Leinbach 7200JR that matches perfectly with a sub-compact. I purchased it from my dealer when I bought the tractor and it came with a 9" auger. The 9" auger is the right size for a 4X4. I did buy a 12" auger at TSC and it works well also. It gives you more "not aligned right" room when placing the 4X4's but there is more tamping involved.

Unless you already know the answer, make sure you get with Ted at Everything Attachments before you buy the model you are looking at to make sure it will fit a BX and not be too large.

Attachments

• 110908_10212.jpg
    110908_10212.jpg
    269.1 KB · Views: 162
  • 112908_16481.jpg
    112908_16481.jpg
    244.6 KB · Views: 134
   / PHD recommendation? #4  
Some augers have a single flat cutting blade on each flight. I prefer and an auger with staggered cutting teeth. These cut through sod much better with out walking off the mark.

Attachments

• bush_claw_auger.jpg
    bush_claw_auger.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 121
   / PHD recommendation?
I will give Everything Attachments a call before I order and make sure I get the right one. Is there an advantage in going with the 9 inch over the 12? Or is bigger better?

/ PHD recommendation? #6  
I will give Everything Attachments a call before I order and make sure I get the right one. Is there an advantage in going with the 9 inch over the 12? Or is bigger better?

If you plan on digging holes for only 4X4's or smaller then I would go with the 9". In my experience, once you hit clay, the 12" auger can stick itself in the ground much easier than the 9" and will be a bear to get back out. You have to be very careful and not hold down your 3ph lever too long and allow the auger to screw itself in the ground.

/ PHD recommendation? #7  
I had a Taylor Way PHD I bought from Barlows that I used on a B3200, BX2660 and my nephew used it on his BX2360.

/ PHD recommendation? #8  
I am looking at purchasing a post hole digger for my BX2660. I wanted to know opinions on the Everything Attachments PHD compact series. I almost ordered the ETA-compact-9, but thought I should check with the experts here first.

Is the 9 inch auger a good all around size or should I go with the 12 inch? I will be using it to put it fence posts and some 4x4s for a lean to this fall and who knows what in the future. My property has about one foot of topsoil, 8 inches of small stone/sand and then clay. Any recommendations are appreciated.

Thanks Jeff

I recently bought a post hole digger from ETA for my BX25. I ordered it right from the website, based on the website recommended attachments for the BX25. Just tried it out for the first time yesterday, and I'm very happy with it so far.

My first project is a simple fence to keep the deer away from some trees I planted, so I only got a 4" auger, but I will probably end up ordering at least one more auger for future projects.

I'm new to tractors, so this was my first time installing the 3-point hitch. Fortunately, my dealer pre-assembled it for me, so it was easy to figure out how to install it. Then I simply used the ETA video to attach the PHD. Went on real easy, no issues at all. I definitely still need to get the hang of figuring out if the auger is going straight in without getting off the tractor, but that should just be a matter of practice. My first hole was not even close to vertical :eek:.

/ PHD recommendation?
Thanks for all the help. I am waiting a call back from ETA so I order the correct PHD. I am hoping to order it tomorrow. I would like to get a deer stand up before season and I need to dig the holes.