8540 Clunky shift

/ 8540 Clunky shift #1  

millstreaminn

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota 8540, 4800, L39, 7510, Zd28 International 966, Cat 304, Mahindra 4035, Deere 350 and 450, Komatsu D21
I bought a 2010 8540 Cab FEL with 120 hours on it and it was delivered yesterday. This tractor has the standard 8 speed tranny and my initial impression of it is that it has a cheap, clunky feel when shifting gears. Is that normal for the 8 speed 8540? Also the transmission lock lever doesn't leave much space to get a gloved hand in there to shift to 3 and 4. I currently own 7 tractors, one bigger, and the rest (all Kubotas) smaller than the 8540. This 8540 has the worst feeling, sounding shifting of them all. Just wondering if all 8540's shift like this?

Thanks-Scott

/ 8540 Clunky shift #2  
I bought a 2010 8540 Cab FEL with 120 hours on it and it was delivered yesterday. This tractor has the standard 8 speed tranny and my initial impression of it is that it has a cheap, clunky feel when shifting gears. Is that normal for the 8 speed 8540? Also the transmission lock lever doesn't leave much space to get a gloved hand in there to shift to 3 and 4. I currently own 7 tractors, one bigger, and the rest (all Kubotas) smaller than the 8540. This 8540 has the worst feeling, sounding shifting of them all. Just wondering if all 8540's shift like this?

Thanks-Scott

Scott, my 2008 5040 with cab has a 2x4 trans also and although I get along well with it I think the shifter feels clunky also. I attribute it to the cable.

/ 8540 Clunky shift
I talked with the Kubota rep staying at my hotel yesterday. Although he was reluctant to admit the 2X4 tranny was a "clunky" shift, he also attributed it to the linkage. He also told me they are moving the tranny lock lever on new models to give you more room to get your hand in there.

thanks

/ 8540 Clunky shift #4  
No problem with our 8540, but it's a 12F/12R; don't know if that makes a difference.

/ 8540 Clunky shift #5  
The shifting is not the sharpest. I don't think I'd describe it as clunky though, I think with some time you'll get better at it. That whole thing is changing with the Tier4i models.

/ 8540 Clunky shift #6  
The shifting is not the sharpest. I don't think I'd describe it as clunky though, I think with some time you'll get better at it. That whole thing is changing with the Tier4i models.

In what ways; just curious.

/ 8540 Clunky shift #7  
I would agree that it is a bit clunky and less smooth than I would have expected. That said, I don't have experience with other tractors in this class.

/ 8540 Clunky shift #8  
The shifting takes a little getting used to, its cable instead of direct.
After 300 hrs, it gets a lot easier.

E/S

/ 8540 Clunky shift #9  
It is about the same as the Case we had, nothing seems to work as smoothly as the old direct hump mounted shifters, but I sure like not having to work around that type.

/ 8540 Clunky shift #10  
In what ways; just curious.

The t4i models are direct shift, no cable, and you can see the shift fork rather than it being covered with a boot. The park break is also part of the shifter rather than a seperate lever. Its M9960 and M8560 i think.