Ploughing with a MX5100

/ Ploughing with a MX5100 #1  

Kyle241

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5100
So I have finally done it. I purchased a 3 bottom plough about a week or so ago from a local guy who resells old used farm machinery and other items. I was about to give up finding a used one as they are so hard to come by up here. One New Holland dealer told me to call the local metal scrap yard as they often get single and 2 bottom ploughs and just cut them up for scrap. Well that call fell through as they didn't have any at the time and the New Holland dealer scoffed at my Kubota pulling a 3 bottom plough which he did have used. So my next step was to purchase from Everything Attachments | Skid Steer Attachments, Tractor Attachments, 3 Point Hitch Attachments, and Farm Tractor Implements. when I found a 2 bottom plough on the internet. When I got there, I noticed the two he had needed some TLC which I was not prepared for being a newbie but he did have two decent shape 3 bottom ploughs. After discussing with him that one can be removed if I wanted to and getting a decent price, $300, I had him drop it into the truck and away I went. Yesterday was the day and here are some pics of my very first ploughing session so please forgive the mistakes, e.g. I left the top bar set incorrectly when I was transporting the plough to my field back in my property and forgot to reset it until the third pass.

The plough. No idea the make/age:
DSC_0003-2.jpg

Tractor and plough:
DSC_0002-3.jpg

It's a tight squeeze but made it through. I need to make an alternate trail for my new tractor as it's heavy for the sod.
DSC_0004.jpg

Heading down to the field:
DSC_0005-1.jpg

Close-up of the plough when I made it to the field:
DSC_0008-1.jpg

Trying to figure out everything:
DSC_0010.jpg

Time to try a pass:
DSC_0011.jpg

DSC_0013-2.jpg

DSC_0014.jpg

DSC_0015-1.jpg

DSC_0021.jpg

DSC_0019-1.jpg

Trying my second pass:
DSC_0024-1.jpg

DSC_0026-2.jpg

DSC_0028-1.jpg

DSC_0030.jpg

Things I learned very quickly:

- Remember to follow a plan! I had decided how I was going to turn the field when I got too excited to just go for it that I turned the first two passes in the wrong direction!!!

- Don't forget the top link. Mine was not set correctly for the first two passes.

- Remember what depth I finally got right so that I didn't have to think every time I start a new row.

Overall I think I did well. I will have pics today of the completed field as it was DW who took the first and then left to go feed the pups. It took about 90 minutes to plough the area and the MX5100 did very well and proved the New Holland dealer wrong. As BigBull has stated, "you'll run out of traction before you run out of HP", and that is true. I had two times when my tires started to really spin and I had to stop, back up a foot and then start again. What I can't believe is the size of the boulder the plough brought up! Wow, I knew ploughs turned over stones but not one of this size. It was eventful getting it out between the tractor and plough but I finally did.

The best thing about all of this? I loved it! Ploughing is fun and can't wait until next year to disc it and make a nice huge area for potatoes, squash, carrots, parsnip, rutabaga, beets, etc. Hopefully we'll plant a few grains as well, just don't know what yet.

/ Ploughing with a MX5100 #2  
i can tell you was having fun plowing with your tractor an getting used to it an the plow.an from the looks of it the tractor pulled the plow with ease.id go ahead an disk the field up this fall.

/ Ploughing with a MX5100 #3  
Did you finally get the plow frame adjusted to where it is running parallel to the ground? All three shares should be running at the same depth.

It sounds like you did this. Everything Attachments has a video on setting up a plow that is very good.

How To Video Demos - Implements & Attachments

It is a two bottom plow but the techniques work the same as with a 3-bottom.

/ Ploughing with a MX5100 #4  
Looks like you are having fun. I really miss field work. You might need to adjust the colters though- hard to tell from the pics.

/ Ploughing with a MX5100
.id go ahead an disk the field up this fall.

Really? I thought discing should be done in the Spring after the snows have broken down all the big lumps?

Did you finally get the plow frame adjusted to where it is running parallel to the ground? All three shares should be running at the same depth.

It sounds like you did this. Everything Attachments has a video on setting up a plow that is very good.

How To Video Demos - Implements & Attachments

Actually it was their video that taught me what to do...I just forgot the first two passes but did do it for all the others.

Looks like you are having fun. I really miss field work. You might need to adjust the colters though- hard to tell from the pics.

Yeah I am not sure the colters are in the perfect position. I did watch them though and they were cutting through the grass really well which was a pleasant surprise (wasn't 100% of the middle colter turning).

/ Ploughing with a MX5100 #6  
yes you can disk it now a time or 2 an then again in the spring.levels the ground an allows the moisture to go deep into the ground.

/ Ploughing with a MX5100 #7  
Plowings a lot of fun, isn't it?

/ Ploughing with a MX5100
yes you can disk it now a time or 2 an then again in the spring.levels the ground an allows the moisture to go deep into the ground.

Well I better go pickup that old 3pt disc the same guy has before someone else snags it! I'll need to rent a trailer though because it's too big for my truck bed.

Thanks for the pointers.

/ Ploughing with a MX5100 #9  
Thanks for the thread, and all those photos! I also have a 3 bottom plough and I just bought a 2005 MX5000. I wasn't sure it would pull the plough, but it seems ok on yours. I'm looking forward to trying it out...

Bye for now,

/ Ploughing with a MX5100 #10  
Looks like a fun day ! I'm surprised the 5100 did as well as it did with the R4's. It's certainly been wet here, I suspect you're the same in Ontario. I've got three gardens waiting to be plowed, but they may have to wait til spring unless we get a dry spell.

The L3400 with R1's pulls a two bottom with no problem, so you've got lots of HP. Like we all say, you'll lose traction before the power runs out.

I have a link to an old Ferguson manual on plow adjusting and maintenance.

Ferguson Moldboard Plow Service Manual

It's convoluted to download and print, but that's what I finally did. You have to click each of the links on the page to see individual pages of the manual. It's designed for the Ferguson and Dearborn plows, but the theory and adjustments are the same. If you decide you want a copy and have a lot of trouble with the downloads, I'll see if I have the pages saved individually.

Speaking of 3 point discs, I picked up a pull behind double disc (8 footer) last summer, and am in the process of converting it to 3-point mounting. The L3400 will only pull a single set, but that's fine by me, I'm not into huge projects.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/projects/221475-disc-harrow-restore-conversion-3-a.html

Hope the weather holds for you!

Sean