L39 (or similar) Fuel Consumption

/ L39 (or similar) Fuel Consumption #21  
I went back to DEX3361 and used his estimate for kW and fuel used and came with 2.19 gal/hr at full power which is 37 HP or 27.75 kW. Like he said though, if you are using a 25 kW generator but using only 5 kW, you will be using less than a gallon per hour. So if you are using your generator to power a 100 watt bulb, you should not be using much fuel. Just like my tractor - if I am mowing grass with my finish mower I hardly suck down any fuel but if I am plowing and continually pulling it below rated speed, it sucks fuel fast enough to feel the pain in my wallet.

/ L39 (or similar) Fuel Consumption #22  
I think I would buy a nice gas generator with low idle, low oil protection, large fuel tank for extended run time etc. and save the wear and tear on the tractor and all the filters/fluids that have to be changed after X number of hours of run time. I do not have a pto generator, but I do have other pto powered implements for my L3540 and it really seems to go thru diesel when powering them. You may also want to be able to use your tractor at any given time and not have it tied up running a generator. Thats just my opinion because I to considered one time buying a pto generator, but for me there would be to many drawbacks. Best of luck in whatever you decide to do.
i agree- buy a small generator and save an expensive tractor for larger projects

/ L39 (or similar) Fuel Consumption #23  
I forgot to mention in my earlier post that I bought a standalone unit because I don't like leaving the tractor running with the pto on unattended while I'm in the house sleeping, searching TBN, etc. I like to be able to monitor the dash gauges and general operation of the tractor. I just thought I would mention that in case your like me and worry about what if this happens or that happens and your not near the tractor. Again best of luck with whatever type generator you buy, there a nice thing to have.

/ L39 (or similar) Fuel Consumption #24  
I went back to DEX3361 and used his estimate for kW and fuel used and came with 2.19 gal/hr at full power which is 37 HP or 27.75 kW. Like he said though, if you are using a 25 kW generator but using only 5 kW, you will be using less than a gallon per hour. So if you are using your generator to power a 100 watt bulb, you should not be using much fuel. Just like my tractor - if I am mowing grass with my finish mower I hardly suck down any fuel but if I am plowing and continually pulling it below rated speed, it sucks fuel fast enough to feel the pain in my wallet.

The rule of thumb sorta goes awry below 25% load the numbers work between 25% - 100%.
:D

/ L39 (or similar) Fuel Consumption #25  
We are living this scenario right now. A few years ago I picked up a used (600 hours) 7.5 kw onan diesel generator powered by a D950 3 cylinder Kubota diesel. We lost power Saturday night and there is still no estimate for when it will come back on. Generator is running 24/7 powering pellet stove, furnace, well pump, freezer, refrigerator, lights, etc. In laws, family and friends without power are using our house to warm up, shower and eat. The generator uses about 10-14 gallons/24 hours depending on load. AND my tractor was free to plow snow and move downed branches and trees Saturday night and Sunday.

For me a standalone generator is a better choice than using my tractor to run a pto generator. I don't have to drop a rear implement to hook up the generator (in the dark and bad weather) and drop the generator and hook up the implement to get back. I don't lose use of the tractor during bad weather when it has been needed the most. Plus the hours running a generator add up fast compared to my other tractor work.

/ L39 (or similar) Fuel Consumption #26  
JimP said:
We are living this scenario right now. A few years ago I picked up a used (600 hours) 7.5 kw onan diesel generator powered by a D950 3 cylinder Kubota diesel. We lost power Saturday night and there is still no estimate for when it will come back on. Generator is running 24/7 powering pellet stove, furnace, well pump, freezer, refrigerator, lights, etc. In laws, family and friends without power are using our house to warm up, shower and eat. The generator uses about 10-14 gallons/24 hours depending on load. AND my tractor was free to plow snow and move downed branches and trees Saturday night and Sunday.

For me a standalone generator is a better choice than using my tractor to run a pto generator. I don't have to drop a rear implement to hook up the generator (in the dark and bad weather) and drop the generator and hook up the implement to get back. I don't lose use of the tractor during bad weather when it has been needed the most. Plus the hours running a generator add up fast compared to my other tractor work.

Is the power outage from that massive snow storm? I heard it was a mess! Best of luck to you! I'm sure your people are very happy you had the foresight to have a generator ready to go!

/ L39 (or similar) Fuel Consumption #27  
You run her up to full load on a 45 ish hp diesel and it will use about 2.5 to 3 gal per hour. Fuel use depends on what you put on it for load. Just turning a very lightly loaded generator will likely only take 1 gal per hour.

Okay ... grams, pounds, density, Kw, darn talk english ... and by the way if this little Kubota swallows 2.18 gpm .... well time to look else.

/ L39 (or similar) Fuel Consumption #28  
My experience with a L3240 paired to a 15kw pto generator is right around 1 gallon per hour consumption. A little more or less depending on what appliances we are running, but it averages right at 1 gph.

It was a great investment for me!