LA 724, broke the curl pin bracket

/ LA 724, broke the curl pin bracket #1  

Elcid76

Bronze Member
I finally really broke something on my loader. After lifting a LARGE stone yesterday, and toting it across my pasture to a better place, I notice that my left curl cylinder was no longer connected to the loader (ha ha)!! I actually tore the metal at the welded in bracket. I have had the tractor for 18 months and have about 460 hours on it. It has been used HARD... I have dug multiple ponds and used the loader BEYOND its capabilities that I am constantly amazed at what it CAN do, but geez, when it finally breaks, it hit hard at how often I use it... I am enclosing some pictures of the bracket, as well as some pond shots. I find it amazing that the metal actually separated on the bracket. Even though the weld looks like something that I might do, it is undamaged. The bracket is not "bent" at all. I guess constant "use" of the loader in all kinds of "inhuman" orientations finally took its toll.

Attachments

• P1010799.JPG
    P1010799.JPG
    68.5 KB · Views: 304
  • P1010800.JPG
    P1010800.JPG
    81.6 KB · Views: 271
  • P1010785.JPG
    P1010785.JPG
    92.3 KB · Views: 296
  • P1010726.JPG
    P1010726.JPG
    92.6 KB · Views: 253
   / LA 724, broke the curl pin bracket #2  
Looks like a crack just started and spread. I wouldn't call it abuse. Weld her up and get back at it!

/ LA 724, broke the curl pin bracket #3  
Wow, you have worked the mighty Kubota pretty hard, I am impressed Sorry about the loader arm, while I am sure it hurts, I should be repairable. I snapped the top loader ram one day by over extending and getting a slight twist in the loader while trying to move a large rock using the grapple bucket on my Kubota

Actually I would like to talk to you some more about how you went about creating such a large water pond. I have a Kubota L3940 and about 200 acres here in Texas. There is an old water tank (pond) on the property that no longer holds much water and I have been toying with the idea of using the Kubota to dig it deeper and remove the years of weeds and debris in it, but have so many questions about re-sealing up again.

It looks like you must have scraped out as much clay as you could find, then started digging down.

How do you plan on re-sealing the pond when you are done? Are you purchasing clay, bentonite?

Any insights on how to do this would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Mike

/ LA 724, broke the curl pin bracket #4  
man of man that hurts todo something like that.hope it doesnt weaken your loader.

/ LA 724, broke the curl pin bracket
I have worked hard on the ponds. It is now about 15 feet deep and someday I will measure it. The depth of black pond scum was about 5 feet. With the drought I just decided that since I was paying for the tractor anyway that I might as well USE it (ha ha). I bet that I have over a hundred hours in the pond, I started in late August. Used a small generator and two submersible pumps to drain water. I laid utter devestation on frogs, snakes, and snappers. I was amazed at how many I dug out of the scum. You CAN do just about anything with time and fuel with a L3240HST (ha ha). I have been trying out how to remove the loader for the welding, but I cannot seem to get the rotation with half the curl messed up. I will just remove the grill guard to get better access to the bracket. As I look at the loader I have found a few cracks in the bucket stop, good thing that my son is a welder! I am hesitant to weld while everthing is attached to the tractor, but it appears with the damage where it is, there does not seem to be much choice. Here are some more pictures of the ponds...

Attachments

• P1010726.JPG
    P1010726.JPG
    92.6 KB · Views: 153
  • P1010740.JPG
    P1010740.JPG
    92 KB · Views: 166
  • P1010756.JPG
    P1010756.JPG
    93.6 KB · Views: 165
   / LA 724, broke the curl pin bracket #6  
Ok you did not DIG the pond you just cleaned it out....had me wondering if your tractor had something i didnt see.

/ LA 724, broke the curl pin bracket #7  
If you have to do the welding with the FEL attached keep the ground as close to the weld area as possible.This should eliminate any damage from welding current.

/ LA 724, broke the curl pin bracket #8  
If you have to do the welding with the FEL attached keep the ground as close to the weld area as possible.This should eliminate any damage from welding current.

+1
Don't want to tack weld you loader pins or bearing surfaces!
You may want to disconnect your battery, although some dispute this.
I always do, after seeing the four batteries on a DM series Mack blow up when a chowderhead hooked the jumpers up wrong.

/ LA 724, broke the curl pin bracket #9  
.......good thing that my son is a welder! I am hesitant to weld while everything is attached to the tractor, but it appears with the damage where it is, there does not seem to be much choice.....
There isn't much advantage in taking it all apart - it will be easier to handle where it is.
The area of the crack may always be a weak spot - it might be a good idea to make a welded fish-plate overlay with a hole fitted around the pin collar. I'd use an alignment rod (piece of pipe) long enough to reach through pin holes in both arms. Fish plate wants to be a bit thicker than the arm material - like maybe 7 ga. It will always show as a repair, but better a strong repair than one that will crack again. My 2 cents.

/ LA 724, broke the curl pin bracket #10  
There isn't much advantage in taking it all apart - it will be easier to handle where it is.
The area of the crack may always be a weak spot - it might be a good idea to make a welded fish-plate overlay with a hole fitted around the pin collar. I'd use an alignment rod (piece of pipe) long enough to reach through pin holes in both arms. Fish plate wants to be a bit thicker than the arm material - like maybe 7 ga. It will always show as a repair, but better a strong repair than one that will crack again. My 2 cents.

If there is as much play in this loader as my LA724 you could probably put a 1/8 inch doubler plate on the inside of the broken piece.It would be a bit more work but would look better IMO.Just my two cents worth but that is how I would do it.I have added large washers that I made up to mine to take some of the slop out of the joints.Good luck with the repair,it shouldn't be a huge job:thumbsup: