Tires Swapping R4's for Ag wheels and tires

/ Swapping R4's for Ag wheels and tires
Ordered my l3130 with ags for most chores other than mowing purchased mounted set of turfs for the grass cutting season.
How hard is it to change from Ag's to Turf?
Are your Ag's loaded?

/ Swapping R4's for Ag wheels and tires #12  
How hard is it to change from Ag's to Turf?
Are your Ag's loaded?

Did you catch the fact that you gotta buy rims?? So you'll possibly end up at a tire store or your dealership getting them mounted. Then making the swap on the tractor won't be a big deal.

/ Swapping R4's for Ag wheels and tires #13  
My Nickles worth, I have Turf tires and my tractor sits even lower. Measured at the towbar that is stuckout the back. I don't see any other tire that will spread to fit my Titan wheels and tires, other than turf?

/ Swapping R4's for Ag wheels and tires #14  
Did you catch the fact that you gotta buy rims?? So you'll possibly end up at a tire store or your dealership getting them mounted. Then making the swap on the tractor won't be a big deal.
So why do you need to swap rims? Are the lips on the rims that different? I see that the rims typically have different offset for each type of tire from the factory but I don't see a problem with that for switch tire types. My R1's seem to have a fairly soft sidewall and I don't see why they couldn't be mounted on a slightly wider rim? I'm sure its not "ideal" but for a vehicle that averages 3 mph its whole life I don't see how it would matter much if you keep the air pressure reasonable.

Also I looked at a few used 4wd tractors that the farmer had put R4's on the front for loader work and they looked like the original rims.

Maybe the OP can up size the R1's a size or two so they fit well on the R4 rims?

/ Swapping R4's for Ag wheels and tires #15  
I have one tractor with the R4's and one with the R1's and I like the Ag tires the best. I really don't see that much difference in the "tearing up" of the grass ... unless the conditions are wet and then I guess I should not have been there to begin with.

I also wonder why one would have to swap the rims?

/ Swapping R4's for Ag wheels and tires #16  
Most times the wheel diameter is different between R1 and R4. The width issue might be able to be overcome, not sure about that. R1 tires for my Kubota L4400 are a LOT narrower than R4s plus being different diameter. A friend has a JD and ran into the same issue when trying to change from R1 to R4, was gonna hafta buy rims.

/ Swapping R4's for Ag wheels and tires #17  
If the OP's tractor is 4x4, the rims need to be in Ratio for the gearing? I had considered the lug tires on front of mine, for better grip on turns?

/ Swapping R4's for Ag wheels and tires
Most times the wheel diameter is different between R1 and R4. The width issue might be able to be overcome, not sure about that. R1 tires for my Kubota L4400 are a LOT narrower than R4s plus being different diameter. A friend has a JD and ran into the same issue when trying to change from R1 to R4, was gonna hafta buy rims.

Yep, I know I need rims and tires. And I will have them changed at the dealers the first time.
I was asking if for some reason I wanted to put the R4's back on how hard of a task that might be. I figured the guy with Ag's and a set of Turf tires would be able to answer that.

If the OP's tractor is 4x4, the rims need to be in Ratio for the gearing? I had considered the lug tires on front of mine, for better grip on turns?

Yes, that ratio is important. I want to go with factory specs so i know I'm not tearing up the tractor.

/ Swapping R4's for Ag wheels and tires #19  

Only the ratio between the front and rear tire diameters(circumference really) has to remain the same, so any two sizes of tires that keep the ratio the same and will not bind in 4wd.
Maybe their aren't practical R1 tire sizes that work for the R4 rim widths? I find it a bit hard to believe that tractor tires for CUTs are all that sensitive to rim widths anyways, going by what people get away with on car tires...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

/ Swapping R4's for Ag wheels and tires #20  
If you are going to make the change and traction in mud is the reason you may want to look into a radial tire and compare costs. Radials are reported to provide the best traction in muddy conditions.

MarkV