BX23 Fan Belt Replacment ... How?

/ BX23 Fan Belt Replacment ... How? #1  

fatcat

Tractor
BX23
Tried doing a search and could not find anything on how others here replaced their fan belt on the BX tractors ... but how in the heck do you do it?

It looks like you have to remove the drive shaft to get the fan belt around it! What kind of a design is that!

I notice that the drive shaft moves slightly back and forth ... if I remove the three bolts connecting the front of the drive shaft to the engine, can the new fan belt be slipped in if I try compressing the drive shaft rearward?

How do you guys replace the fan belt?

Thanks in advance.

/ BX23 Fan Belt Replacment ... How? #2  
Tried doing a search and could not find anything on how others here replaced their fan belt on the BX tractors ... but how in the heck do you do it?

It looks like you have to remove the drive shaft to get the fan belt around it! What kind of a design is that!

I notice that the drive shaft moves slightly back and forth ... if I remove the three bolts connecting the front of the drive shaft to the engine, can the new fan belt be slipped in if I try compressing the drive shaft rearward?

How do you guys replace the fan belt?

Thanks in advance.

"What kind of a design is that!" It's a Kubota bullsh#t design is what it is, designed by people who never spent so much as a minute on a tractor. The list of these design flaws on the bx's is long and quite tiresome I'm afraid.

As far as replacing the fan belt is concerned, well it's almost as much fun as replacing the hst fan cept yuh can't just cut the belt and glue back on the pulley.

David

/ BX23 Fan Belt Replacment ... How? #3  
"What kind of a design is that!" It's a Kubota bullsh#t design is what it is, designed by people who never spent so much as a minute on a tractor. The list of these design flaws on the bx's is long and quite tiresome I'm afraid.

As far as replacing the fan belt is concerned, well it's almost as much fun as replacing the hst fan cept yuh can't just cut the belt and glue back on the pulley.

David

Not a BS design go out and see how many crawlers and older tractors have front mount pumps. It is a way of life in equipment that sometimes both ends of the engine are use for power take off. If you cannot figure how to operate and work on equipment then maybe you are in the wrong place. Kubota is not the first nor the last to have drives mounted on both ends of an engine. Have an International TD-9, Massey Ferguson MF35 with the same thing.

If you do not feal like taking the shaft off then get a Power Twist belt and put it on.

PowerTwist Plus V-Belts - Fenner Drives

David Kb7uns

/ BX23 Fan Belt Replacment ... How? #4  
So to his original question, how do you get it off? Is it as simple as removing three bolts? Not trying to be a wise axx just trying to understand. I've done a fair amount of car work and never realized that sometimes simple things could be so tough.

/ BX23 Fan Belt Replacment ... How? #5  
I think you will be able to remove the three bolts at the front of drive shaft then it wil compress quite easily and give you enough room to get the belt through, they have a low tension spring inside the joint hub.

/ BX23 Fan Belt Replacment ... How? #6  
I replaced mine on my BX24 and it wasn't a big deal. I dont know if Kubota changed that part of the design from the 23 to the 24. IF I recall I was able to remove the fan shroud and slip it over the fan?

/ BX23 Fan Belt Replacment ... How?
I think you will be able to remove the three bolts at the front of drive shaft then it wil compress quite easily and give you enough room to get the belt through, they have a low tension spring inside the joint hub.

Thanks, I just needed to know if that is the way it is to be done. I didn't want to be disassembling something I should not touching. Just seems crazy that one would have to disconnect a drive shaft to replace a belt.

My belt is looking worn and want to replace it before the winter.

/ BX23 Fan Belt Replacment ... How? #8  
On BX23 you don't have to remove the fan shroud. Loosen the alterator adjustment bolt then push top of altererator toward center to release tension on belt. (you may have to slightly loosen the bottom alternator bolt to get it to move). Remove belt from the pulley then work it between the fan blade ends toward the radiator and down be gentle and it will come down without any damage to the radiator.

Loosen the front driveshaft bolts (I used a hammer on a rachet to loosen them without holding the crankshaft) remove the three bolts. Compress the shaft (it should only take about 3 lbs of pressure) remove and replace belt then reverse procedure.

While you are down there inspect fan for broken blades and inspect both shaft boots, if any have signs of failure order 2 new boots, 8 o-rings for the cv joint and a fan if needed.

If you have to REMOVE the shaft or fan on a BX23 you will have to remove the seat (5 min) remove floor pan bolts HST pedal and raise the floor pan on the left side and take the shaft out the top (45 min the first time you do it). It is not necessary to remove the FEL OR BH.

Belt $10

2 boots $13
8 orings $16
Fan $60

The only special tools needed are inside outside snap ring pliers and that is only if you need to replace the boots.

If you take the ends off the driveshaft you only need to note the orientation of the slide ring on the end of the shaft after removing it from the hub (take a cellphone
Photo before removing the internal 2nd snap ring.

After 400 hrs of abusive service I did all of the above except the fan and that was because I damaged one boot with a stick. Great design cheap fix easy to work on. I couldn't ask for better!

Trust me the hardest part is dreading the job. Once you start removing bolts it is easy as long as you have at least average mechanical abilities. Any questions are quickly answered on the forum.

I am sure your dealer would be glad to charge you $100 to $700.

Doug

/ BX23 Fan Belt Replacment ... How? #9  
Don't overtighten the fan belt I always like to stay on the loose side of the specs on vbelts. This reduces bearing wear and lengthen belt life as long as it is not so loose that it slips or jumps out of the groove.

/ BX23 Fan Belt Replacment ... How?
Thank you Doug for the information. When I was under the tractor, the fan was fine as well as the rear boot, the front boot had a small crack in it, so I guess I will replace that as well. I'll follow your directions.

Thanks again.