Broken Steering Box - B9200

/ Broken Steering Box - B9200 #1  

MMH

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 4500
I broke the steering box on my MFWD B9200. It has manual steering and not the power steering. Started calling around to see what a replacement will cost and am getting serious sticker shock - the prices for the assembly are anywhere from $1200 to $1700. I guess that I am going to tear into the box & see if I can replace broken parts (gears/balls/etc.).

Also, I am going to start investigating what other steering boxes would fit. I found a 7300 steering box - would this work?

What about converting to power steering. Saw a couple of kits on the internet. One is designed for the 7300 so I don't know if it would work on my tractor, but I am guessing that with some minor fabrication that I can get it to work. The other kit is designed for my tractor, but is not in stock (will take 3 to 6 weeks) and it looks as if my steering gear needs to be intact.

Looking for suggestions. I need my tractor NOW and do not want to spend $1700 to get it back!

Thanks.

/ Broken Steering Box - B9200 #2  
I think a number of parts from a B8200 will work. You might have more luck finding a box from one of those.

Do you have a part #?

/ Broken Steering Box - B9200
I think a number of parts from a B8200 will work. You might have more luck finding a box from one of those.

Do you have a part #?
I think that it is either 66361-4100 or T33000

/ Broken Steering Box - B9200 #4  
The entire assembly for the B8200 is listed in my parts manual as: 66301-41100. Some cross-referencing may be in order as the # may have been superseded.

Mine does have PS but it shouldn't matter for the box itself.

Edit: I can find mine listed at: http://www.goldeneagledirect.com/
but they have no results for your #.