Mowing B5200D RFM capacity

/ B5200D RFM capacity #1  

jsf729

Tractor
LS XJ2025
Would I be able to use a 5 ft. RFM on my B5200D or would I be pushing the envelope? Engine is rated at 13 HP and rear PTO @ 11.5 HP. Evidently, Kubota offered a 46" RFM for it back in 1988. There are times in the spring where the grass will get to 8" or more because its too wet to mow due to drainage and by the time I can mow it's pretty tall. I don't mind making a couple passes because that part is only an acre or so. BTW- I've never used a RFM, only MMM so any helpful hints would be appreciated. Fortunately, I'm done mowing until spring. Thanks in advance to all responses!

/ B5200D RFM capacity #2  
Would I be able to use a 5 ft. RFM on my B5200D or would I be pushing the envelope? Engine is rated at 13 HP and rear PTO @ 11.5 HP. Evidently, Kubota offered a 46" RFM for it back in 1988. There are times in the spring where the grass will get to 8" or more because its too wet to mow due to drainage and by the time I can mow it's pretty tall. I don't mind making a couple passes because that part is only an acre or so. BTW- I've never used a RFM, only MMM so any helpful hints would be appreciated. Fortunately, I'm done mowing until spring. Thanks in advance to all responses!

5ft would be pushing it. You would have to go painstakingly SLOW, especially with 8" grass.

But non-the-less, a large mowers vs small are NOT what makes you mow faster. Mowing speed is dependent on HP.

That 5' mower is 30% larger than the 46" they offered. That means you either need 30% more power to go the same speed as the 46", or you have to go 30% slower for equal results.

So to answer your question, yes you can do it. No it wont save you any time. You will have to slow down more. But it shouldnt cost you any time either.

/ B5200D RFM capacity #3  
I had a B6000 which I am pretty sure was rated the same. I ran a Woods 60" RFM with no problem. I had the same problem with wet tall grass in the spring. Some areas took two passes but it got the job done.

/ B5200D RFM capacity
Thanks for the responses all. I kind of suspected that the 5ft would be a bit much, but it seems that they are easier to find- especially used. I understand the trade off between HP and size. I'd rather have a 4ft hummin' along at a decent speed than a 5ft struggling at a slower speed. Probably give a better cut also.....................