Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 891011121314 LastLast
    Tractor
    MF 2660 LP, Kubota B2150, Kubota BX2200, MH Pacer, Gravely 5660, etc.

Default Re: SAFETY!!! Couldn't turn tractor Off! Anyone experience this?

Quote Originally Posted by ultrarunner View Post
    The only thing you can control is the air intake...

I have seen diesel run even with the fuel line pulled... the engine was running on crankcase oil.
    Yes, any diesel with a positive crankcase ventilation system is vulnerable to sucking crankcase oil and running on that until dead. Really dead. Burned up. I had a VW diesel do that (high mileage with a lot of blowby) and the only way I could stop it was to put it in gear and pop the clutch while holding the brakes. With these wimpy blasted hydrostatics even that won't work.

Tractor
    BX23

Quote Originally Posted by JWR View Post
    My Bx2200 will not shut off when you get off and the PTO is running. It will not START with the PTO on but the PTO on will not shut it off. Most likely his BX is the same way. My older B2150 had the same knob you described to pull out for shutdown but the BX2200 does not.
    Hi JWR. It has been a long time since I got a reply. I was hoping to hear from a couple of the others that had responded but never did. I finally put a red wire on the injector to be able to shut it down in an emergency. It took all of 3 minutes to do and cost me only my time. That will only be needed if the tractor blows the fuse and you can't turn the machine off with the key. The original problem was I was searching for the reason my HST light was staying on. It took many hours and research and this forum to find out they never put the HST switch in on the tractors in the US models. For some reason they used a harness thought that had the light in it for the HST on the panel. After getting the electrical schematic, you can see that the light will always be on when the tractor is running. I do understand how it all works now. The kubota dealers had no clue about the HST switch or light. I guess they hadn't run into this problem. I did call the Kubota service center in Ohio and I was told also from him that they did not put in the HST switches in the US models.

I do have the tractor all back together and it is running fine now.
    BX23, 5' backblade, Scag 72" ZT, 6' Woods Landscape Rake.

Tractor
    JD2010, Kubota3450,2550, Mahindra 7520 w FEL w Skid Steer QC w/Tilt Tatch, & BH, BX1500

Quote Originally Posted by Ken45101 View Post
    And maybe because the risks of a sudden shut down are very severe! Consider that when you lose power, you lose power steering, you lose power assist brakes. Now think about going down a steep hill with 4000-10000# of hay behind you and suddenly no steering and no brakes!

It could be a hillside pasture with a steep drop to a creek below, or a hill on a highway.

No, kubota did it right!

Ken
    Quote Originally Posted by LD1 View Post
    Agreed
    That case is easy enuf. Just leave it in gear. There are others that would cause real problems fer sher tho.
    larry
    This side of 40
    JD2010, Kubota L3450/FEL w SK QC, L2550 w FEL
    Mahindra 7520 [Pinky] /FEL w Skid Steer QC/w Tilt Tatch & BH, BX1500 [Mighty Mouse]
    IH37 Baler, CCM165 Drum Mower, JD Rake
    JD 127 bushog, Flail, SK Tilt Tatch , KK tiller, Rhino rear blade, Post driver, post auger, chipper, pallet fork, Grapple/Loader Buddy, Homemade Splitter/DC Welder

Silver Member
    Tractor
    BX 2200

JWR.......something is wrong if your BX2200 does not shut down if you get up and the PTO is running. I have 2003 BX2200. The only time the engine runs if you are off the machine is if the drive is in neutral and there PTO is NOT engaged. Someone bypass your safety's?

Tractor
    c70mcormick

Quote Originally Posted by jgheck View Post
    I was working on My BX23 trying to figure out why the HST instrument light wouldn't go out. Well I got the tractor started, but it would not turn off. I tried to squeeze the fuel line tight with a vise grip and it would not shut down. I disconnected the battery and that did nothing. I pulled all the fuses out and still nothing. I disconnected the safety switches from the seat and it still would not turn off. Yes I tried the key many times to no avail. I finally pulled off the intake hose from the air cleaner and held my hand on it and that caused it to stop immediately. I checked all kinds of electrical switches with my meter. I finally found that a fuse was blown. I replaced that and I could then turn off the tractor with the key. I have never heard of that before. Does anyone know how to turn the tractor off in an emergency? This just doesn't sound correct. They have all kinds of safety switches on it so you can't start it but with the blown fuse the seat safety switches didn't even work. I could start the tractor without even sitting down in the seat. By the way I still don't know why the HST light stays on. Anyone???
    Hey there This is Holt50 and what I do is put the tractor in highest gear slow motor down and hold the brake while letting out on clutch , never fails.

R.I.P.
    Tractor
    Kubota BX2200

Quote Originally Posted by dennisgw View Post
    JWR.......something is wrong if your BX2200 does not shut down if you get up and the PTO is running. I have 2003 BX2200. The only time the engine runs if you are off the machine is if the drive is in neutral and there PTO is NOT engaged. Someone bypass your safety's?
    My BX2200 does not have a seat safety switch. The PTO switch and the rabbit/turtle switches are start permissives, not run permissives on mine.

Now, some models of BX2200 likely did have a seat switch. I cannot say for sure.

I am not sure of my model year...but I think it is one of the earliest models of BX2200.

Tractor
    Kubota BX2230

Quote Originally Posted by holt50 View Post
    Hey there This is Holt50 and what I do is put the tractor in highest gear slow motor down and hold the brake while letting out on clutch , never fails.
    It will fail here. The BX doesn't have a clutch, it is HST.

Tractor
    BX23

Quote Originally Posted by RaydaKub View Post
    It will fail here. The BX doesn't have a clutch, it is HST.
    I agree, I too have the HST and it is pretty hard to try and stall it when it is up on blocks and no tires on it. I had tried everything and finally pulled the intake hose off and held my hand on that. If anyone reads this entire thread they will see all that was done to get it fixed. Now I put a safety wire on the injector and it works great.
    BX23, 5' backblade, Scag 72" ZT, 6' Woods Landscape Rake.

Tractor
    Case IH 1390

Quote Originally Posted by JWR View Post
    Originally Posted by ultrarunner
    The only thing you can control is the air intake...

I have seen diesel run even with the fuel line pulled... the engine was running on crankcase oil.
    Yes, any diesel with a positive crankcase ventilation system is vulnerable to sucking crankcase oil and running on that until dead. Really dead. Burned up. I had a VW diesel do that (high mileage with a lot of blowby) and the only way I could stop it was to put it in gear and pop the clutch while holding the brakes. With these wimpy blasted hydrostatics even that won't work.
    When I was a teenager (working with my grandfather on his boat) I had a fishing boat with a Perkins diesel in it do that. I started it in the early AM and it just started running wide open. Screaming wide open! I pulled the stop cable, nothing. Turned off the fuel line valve at the tank, nothing. Disconnected the fuel line after the lift pump, nothing. Disconnected the batteries for the heck of it even though I knew that engine could run without fire, nothing. I was just looking at it trying to figure out what the heck the thing was running on. Gramps had no clue either, he had always dealt with gas engines, this was his first diesel. Finally I clued into the air intake, but the hole was big enough that I was afraid it would suck my whole arm in so I stuck a piece of plywood over it and leaned on it to try to seal it. That shut it down. Not sure how long it was running wide open before I got it shut down, but a guess would be 10 minutes or more.

My uncle suggested that a cracked injector could leak fuel into the crankcase and when the crankcase filled up the engine could "run away" like that. I spend the morning pulling out the injectors one at a time and inspecting them, and eventually there it was, a cracked tip on one of them. New injector and an oil change, and good as new.

No real moral to my story here , just that IMO it was good thinking by the OP, blocking off the air. And that a runaway diesel is hella loud screaming in your ears for 10 minutes while you try to work on the engine!
    Case IH 1390, 64 PTO HP
    Loader with bucket, 6' back blade, Woods bushhog, 2 furrow plow and a couple of very old, rusty disk harrows

Bronze Member

Wow! What an experience. These are very interesting stories and a new world for a "gasoline engine type of guy - like me!"
    I recently bought a bx25 so I am very interested in these diesel engine stories.
    A gas engine that ran at full throttle, with no load on it, would self destruct. I can't believe these diesels can do that and not be damaged.

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 891011121314 LastLast